Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Gd.. don't distort. I took the PORTION OF TAXES that applies to NHC. And that is 11%.

What else the government needs for other things is another story.. but 11% is the tax rate for healthcare system for the individual.
I took the headlines -

Gee - 61% tax on your income -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM

122 posts, read 209,983 times
60% of the french are happy with their healthcare. Britain has a similar tax structure. I never researched Canada's.

Quote:
BTW, perlagirl, I've been to Canada, too, and I didn't notice a lower standard of living there
Now wait a minute.. I never said lower. It's a different way of life than the US. Also try a road trip to the upper east coast Canada. You will see huge differences compared to Vancouver and Toronto. I loved Vancouver BTW.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One thing the Obama plan will do (and remember nothing has been introduced yet, this is from his campaign platform) is make a mandate for employers of businesses over a certain size to provide insurance to their employees, or pay into a fund. This is similar to what is currently done in Massachusetts. This will pick up a lot of the uninsured.

I would like to see some data about not paying for chronic illnesses in other countries. If you are talking about nursing home care, that is not covered in Medicare in this country, either, except under some very special circumstances and then not for long (I believe 90 days?). Your insurance dictates way more of your cancer care than you might think here in the US. They don't pay for everything either, and the not paying for chemo may be something to do with "evidence-based practice", e.g. using things that research has proven to work.

Certainly any plan will be debated. BTW, do you know that UHC has been introduced to the congress since the time of Harry Truman? Nixon, in fact, favored a plan similar to what is being talked about now. (Heard this yesterday on CNN.) This is not a new idea.
Yes, nursing home care is not covered by Medicare, but it is counted as medical spending by this country. At 12K per month per person it adds up. So does AIDS cocktails (over 10K monthly).
Here are some links that show some dissatisfaction to Britain's NHS, including the rationing of medications for Alzheimer's, kidney cancer, and an article on prolonged waiting periods.
I agree no plan is perfect, and we must look at some of the negatives of UHC as well as the positives to make a truly informed decision (although to be realistic will WE really have a choice.?..it will probably be decided in some backroom meeting by politicians and lobbyists)

Study that proves the folly of NHS Alzheimer's drug ban
Top doctors slam NHS drug rationing
Cancer patients ‘betrayed’ by NHS
One in eight patients waiting over a year for treatment, admits minister

Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care

UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care - [domain blocked due to spam]

High earners face increased National Insurance payments and a new supertax under a raft of measures announced in today's pre-Budget report.

Pre-Budget report: National Insurance rise adds to high earners' woes - Telegraph

Wow.. what a spinner you are..LOL

First off.. that high tax rate is for the top earners over I believe it was250 or somewheres aroudn there in pounds in the UK.

Quote:
Government is to raise the National Insurance rates by 0.5 of a percentage point.
The above quote was taken from the article. It is raising it by half a percent to 11.5% for healthcare..

LOL.. nice try though.. trying to spin it. Those tax hikes are due to other areas of need within their government

You should have read it before you posted it.. the headline grabbed you, but all you had to do was read the article to find the real truth

Old 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM

122 posts, read 209,983 times
Wasn't there an earlier post about someone complaining that they had to pay 10% of their GDP towards health insurance. They were expecting UHC to bring that to 4-5%. I just thinks that there's this myth that it will be so cheap to do it.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
More Reasons Not to Nationalize Health Care

More Reasons Not to Nationalize Health Care (Cato @ Liberty)

Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
Wasn't there an earlier post about someone complaining that they had to pay 10% of their GDP towards health insurance. They were expecting UHC to bring that to 4-5%. I just thinks that there's this myth that it will be so cheap to do it.

yeah.. there was.. I do think 10% is reasonable in comparison.. that's how I got into the whole example I gave. I paid well over that 10% of my income mark for insurance. At teh moment, in this economy my income has suffered SEVERLY (I took a real big hit.. double whammy actually during this calamity of a market) and right now I can't afford insurance accept for my son..which is somewhat reasonable for the HMO he has .. but then a gain he is 3 with no medical problems. I would welcome if insurance were priced at a set percentage of your income.

That's why being taxes 11% in Britian for NHC is pretty dang good.. and knwing that all citizens have coverage makes it even better.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 PM

For every link you can provide of why we shouldn't. I could point to links that tell why we should.

including ones that debunk the "myths" and mistruths put forth in the media ... quite similar to the post you put forth which, upon initial read would freak anyone out until they actually read it

Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
60% of the french are happy with their healthcare. Britain has a similar tax structure. I never researched Canada's.

Now wait a minute.. I never said lower. It's a different way of life than the US. Also try a road trip to the upper east coast Canada. You will see huge differences compared to Vancouver and Toronto. I loved Vancouver BTW.
Well, I don't know what you were trying to say about Canada, then. The way of life reminds me somewhat of life in the US in the 50s-60s. A little slower paced. What that has to do with their UHC I do not know. I have been to both Vancouver and Toronto, also Victoria, Vancouver Island, Niagara Falls and northeastern Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Yes, nursing home care is not covered by Medicare, but it is counted as medical spending by this country. At 12K per month per person it adds up. So does AIDS cocktails (over 10K monthly).
Here are some links that show some dissatisfaction to Britain's NHS, including the rationing of medications for Alzheimer's, kidney cancer, and an article on prolonged waiting periods.
I agree no plan is perfect, and we must look at some of the negatives of UHC as well as the positives to make a truly informed decision (although to be realistic will WE really have a choice.?..it will probably be decided in some backroom meeting by politicians and lobbyists)

Study that proves the folly of NHS Alzheimer's drug ban
Top doctors slam NHS drug rationing
Cancer patients ‘betrayed’ by NHS
One in eight patients waiting over a year for treatment, admits minister
All of these articles are from the Daily Mail, widely regarded as a sort of "National Enquirer" in Britain. The one about Alzheimers was funny. It quotes an author, who is an Alzheimer's patient, slamming the NHS. It also quotes ONE study, done with a grand total of 26 patients, 9 of whom supposedly had improvement with early-use Aricept. That is not even close to 50%. Believe me, my mom took Aricept, and I don't think it helped her at all. I think complaining about the NHS is a soart of national pastime in Britain, sort of like we complain about the weather. Most Brits are satisfied with it; I have seen studies with higher numbers than have been posted. But I doubt you could find 61% of Americans who are satisfied with their health insurance.

There are nursing homes in Britain, also the Netherlands. I don't know about other countries in Europe. There are also AIDS patients in Europe. So those numbers go into their health expenditures, too.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I don't know what you were trying to say about Canada, then. The way of life reminds me somewhat of life in the US in the 50s-60s. A little slower paced. What that has to do with their UHC I do not know. I have been to both Vancouver and Toronto, also Victoria, Vancouver Island, Niagara Falls and northeastern Ontario.

All of these articles are from the Daily Mail, widely regarded as a sort of "National Enquirer" in Britain. The one about Alzheimers was funny. It quotes an author, who is an Alzheimer's patient, slamming the NHS. It also quotes ONE study, done with a grand total of 26 patients, 9 of whom supposedly had improvement with early-use Aricept. That is not even close to 50%. Believe me, my mom took Aricept, and I don't think it helped her at all. I think complaining about the NHS is a soart of national pastime in Britain, sort of like we complain about the weather. Most Brits are satisfied with it; I have seen studies with higher numbers than have been posted. But I doubt you could find 61% of Americans who are satisfied with their health insurance.

There are nursing homes in Britain, also the Netherlands. I don't know about other countries in Europe. There are also AIDS patients in Europe. So those numbers go into their health expenditures, too.
The Daily Mail is a joke, trust me. You're right to compare it to the National Enquirer -- both are garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies