Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,893,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I loved train service before Amtrak took over. I used to actually be able to get places by train.
And they keep cutting Amtrak funding.Its surprising how much they do offer, considering. The trains in other countries do a better job , they are properly funded.

And if the government takes over our health care, we really won't be able to get appointments.

As far as the "rich" are concerned, there's one thing a lot of people never seem to think about ...........

Every time the wealthy spend a small or large fortune on something, that money goes somewhere. It doesn't just go into a box and get hidden away. It goes to a store, or a service, or a company .... that money may be the reason someone else has a job. They pay a sales tax on that item that goes back into the state they live in. Someone always benefits from all the money that is spent by someone else.

So we want the wealthy to spend their money. Without them spending, we're all in real trouble. Because it is the wealthy who spend the big bucks, the ones that really pump up the economy. There are those here who will argue about that, but I don't see how.

When I think of the taxes that pour into Palm Beach County because of the wealthy who live on Palm Beach island, it's mind boggling. Where would we be without all those tax dollars? We sure can't keep everything going here with just my measily donation!

We need the wealthy in this country. They pay most of the taxes no matter how much some want to deny it. We lose our wealthy; we lose.
Some of the Rich in Palm Beach are a little poorer these days , thanks to their friend B. Madoff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I loved train service before Amtrak took over. I used to actually be able to get places by train.
I did a lot of train-riding in the 50s and 60s, mostly from the Pittsburgh area to Wisconsin. The family in Wisconsin came out to visit us a lot on the train, as well. You could always count on the train being late, no matter what the weather. (Actually, we usually traveled in the summer.)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,966,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I did a lot of train-riding in the 50s and 60s, mostly from the Pittsburgh area to Wisconsin. The family in Wisconsin came out to visit us a lot on the train, as well. You could always count on the train being late, no matter what the weather. (Actually, we usually traveled in the summer.)
Same with Amtrak. A few weeks back, I had to catch the Surfliner to transfer to a commuter train. I had over 1 hour layover between trains and that Amtrak was so late that I missed my connection. They are so unreliable, it's pathetic! Their employees are never knowledgeable and act like bureaucrats who cannot be bothered. It's a shame I have to deal with them two to three times a week.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 PM

So train service has gotten neither better nor worse since Amtrak?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
So train service has gotten neither better nor worse since Amtrak?
I sure as heck don't want to pay the big price tag of government healthcare if all we are going to get is the same or worse level of service.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I sure as heck don't want to pay the big price tag of government healthcare if all we are going to get is the same or worse level of service.
Well, we were talking about rail service, not health care. You can't make a direct comparison. "Apples to Oranges", and all!

I believe this started when someone said 'look what happened when the govt. took over rail service'. It actually didn't change much. I honestly think to the average person with insurance, the actual provison of health care won't change a whole lot with any kind of a UHC. The people it will benefit the most are those with pre-existing conditions, the unemployed, small business owners, and the like.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Well, we were talking about rail service, not health care. You can't make a direct comparison. "Apples to Oranges", and all!

I believe this started when someone said 'look what happened when the govt. took over rail service'. It actually didn't change much. I honestly think to the average person with insurance, the actual provison of health care won't change a whole lot with any kind of a UHC. The people it will benefit the most are those with pre-existing conditions, the unemployed, small business owners, and the like.
Well ... I'm one of those with "pre-existing" conditions and my insurance is through Cobra, which is temporary. I am one of those who would "benefit" from a UHC but I think it's a bad idea as I have little trust in our government.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,608,811 times
Quote:
Well ... I'm one of those with "pre-existing" conditions and my insurance is through Cobra, which is temporary. I am one of those who would "benefit" from a UHC but I think it's a bad idea as I have little trust in our government.
You know, I think that is it in a nutshell for those of us not joyous about uhc.
I mean, I think we all admit that our current system needs fixing, that while it has its great points, the fact that insurance is almost unaffordable if your workplace does not supply it is wrong.

But -- I like you just have no faith in our government. Regardless if uhc flows like silk in the UK or Canada or not -- I don't think the US government has the wherewithal to run it effeciently or effectively.
I can't speak for train service, but I can speak for the uscis and it sucks. REally, really sucks. To give an actual example - I contacted them about very important and time sensitive paperwork and they informed me that they only had one person who could open the mail, and she only did that on Wednesdays. Oh, and she has the next two weeks off.
Yes, you read that right. And yes, this was our local branch....
I can't imagine how beurocrats like that will handle my health care needs.

It is just that simple.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You know, I think that is it in a nutshell for those of us not joyous about uhc.
I mean, I think we all admit that our current system needs fixing, that while it has its great points, the fact that insurance is almost unaffordable if your workplace does not supply it is wrong.

But -- I like you just have no faith in our government. Regardless if uhc flows like silk in the UK or Canada or not -- I don't think the US government has the wherewithal to run it effeciently or effectively.
I can't speak for train service, but I can speak for the uscis and it sucks. REally, really sucks. To give an actual example - I contacted them about very important and time sensitive paperwork and they informed me that they only had one person who could open the mail, and she only did that on Wednesdays. Oh, and she has the next two weeks off.
Yes, you read that right. And yes, this was our local branch....
I can't imagine how beurocrats like that will handle my health care needs.

It is just that simple.
LOL! I used to work in civil service and I probably can come up with many colorful examples of governmental ineptitude. I would hazard a guess that a majority of folks who are advocating for UHC have never dealt with the realities of how incompetent our government really is.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM

956 posts, read 1,231,346 times
Quote:
LOL! I used to work in civil service and I probably can come up with many colorful examples of governmental ineptitude. I would hazard a guess that a majority of folks who are advocating for UHC have never dealt with the realities of how incompetent our government really is.
I think you're right about this. On the other hand, we're getting a quick study of it now, aren't we???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies