Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,143 times

Advertisements

Is it just me that thinks that elected officials shouldn't get full pensions and health care for life? Is there any other job that you can work just a part time job for 4 years and be fully compensated?

We allowed them to serve endless terms and they get to vote on their own raises. Do you get to decide on your raise?

What if 75% of your patients, customers, clients thought you were doing a bad job, do you think you would be able to keep your job and even get raises?

I don't understand why we have turned so much power over to these morons and why we should support them forever.

Talk about a program that needs to be stopped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM

412 posts, read 939,184 times
I absolutely agree. They should get healthcare and access to a 401K while they're serving. Oh and they should be able to pay for health insurance through COBRA for a maximum of 18 months when they're voted out. That's it.

Why do local, state, and federal government employees, elected or not, even get pensions? How many people working for corporations or small businesses get pensions? Not many! Why are our tax dollars being used to support government workers retirements, when a vast majority of us taxpayers have to fund our own retirements?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Most of them having a paying job in the first place isn't fair.....much less any perks.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Is it just me that thinks that elected officials shouldn't get full pensions and health care for life? Is there any other job that you can work just a part time job for 4 years and be fully compensated?

We allowed them to serve endless terms and they get to vote on their own raises. Do you get to decide on your raise?

What if 75% of your patients, customers, clients thought you were doing a bad job, do you think you would be able to keep your job and even get raises?

I don't understand why we have turned so much power over to these morons and why we should support them forever.

They don't even have to vote on their own raises ;now it is automatic. They only vote when some can get a bill on the floor to stop a raise;which depends on the leadership letting it.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
No it is not fair, and it should be stopped. Of course, the only people who can stop it are the senators themselves. Odd, they never talk about their health/pension benefits, isn't it? Yet you can bet if this were AIG executives getting these deal, our elected 'servents' would be screaming mad about it.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
It's always been that way from the first days of the Republican (btw that goes for both houses not just the Senate) so why am I not surprised Jenny is only finally learning about this now? She always seems to be behind the times on everything.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

Actually, you are incorrect. They do not get full pensions after a single term in office (BTW, it is 6 years per term, not 4). Pension benefits are prorated, based upon number of years in office:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30631.pdf

Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It's always been that way from the first days of the Republican (btw that goes for both houses not just the Senate) so why am I not surprised Jenny is only finally learning about this now? She always seems to be behind the times on everything.
First of all, I didn't just learn this. I learned this in High School like everyone else did. And I do know the the Congress and the Senate both get this perk as well as many others.

Why would you personally attack me and say I am behind on everything? I was just trying to start a conversation that maybe we could all join in without attacking each other and WHAM, I get insults thrown at me again.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. They do not get full pensions after a single term in office (BTW, it is 6 years per term, not 4). Pension benefits are prorated, based upon number of years in office:

I stand corrected. I knew Congress was 2 and the Pres is 4, I thought that they were 4 as well.

Maybe you can explain to me why it is that they do not pay into Social Security as we are forced to do? They have their own little program.

I just don't think it is fare that we have these elected officials that are living off the system for years for a part time job they worked. We have seniors pinching pennies for meds, we have disabled vets without proper care and yet these people are telling us we all need to pitch in? We need to have our taxes raised?

What if we cut out their "perks" and use that money for something that will help the "middle class" or other deserving people?

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 03-21-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

I suggest you read the link you just posted. Senators serve a six year term.

From your link:

[LEFT]Members become vested in (legally entitled to) a pension benefit under CSRS or FERS after five years of service.[/LEFT]

Retirement Under FERS:
[LEFT]
Retirement with a deferred, full pension
is available at age 62 to former Members of Congress with at least five years of federal service.[/LEFT]

Since six is greater than five, they get the full pension for serving just one term under FERS.

There is also the alternate CSRS Plan:

[LEFT]Retirement with a deferred, full pension is available if the Member leaves Congress before reaching the minimum age required to receive an immediate, unreduced pension and delays receipt until reaching the age at which full benefits are paid. A full pension can be taken at age 62 if the Member had five through nine years of federal service, or at age 60 if the Member had at least 10 years of service in Congress. At the time of separation, the Member must leave all contributions in the plan in order to be eligible for the deferred pension.[/LEFT]

The amount they receive is determined by years of service. A Senator who serves just one term would only receive about $30K a year. A two term Senator would receive about twice that. Not bad for 12 years of work. If they can manage to get re-elected twice they are close to $90K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies