Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times

Advertisements

For all the people that are against the bailout please tell me what you would do to turn this country around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
From what I read here, if we eliminate taxes, the tooth fairy will marry each of the seven dwarfs...in alphabetical order...and the good witch of the east will sprinkle magic dust upon the masses. Then we live happily ever after. You know...eliminate taxes...and it's magic!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
From what I read here, if we eliminate taxes, the tooth fairy will marry each of the seven dwarfs...in alphabetical order...and the good witch of the east will sprinkle magic dust upon the masses. Then we live happily ever after. You know...eliminate taxes...and it's magic!

Only Japan taxes corporations at a higher rate than we do. Are you surprised Corporations can't leave the US fast enough? Those that stay perform money losing operations here and profitable ones in low tax, low wage nations. Their is no free lunch, and you can't hide taxes by shifting them to business and energy because we all pay them in the end anyway.

If we were business friendly, we would have corporations lining up to move their profitable operation here and we could be a net exporter again. That means two things. One is that the revenue we don't get by having high tax rates would start to roll in again. We also would have businesses competing for workers here. That means wages would increase and we could all pay our mortgages on time. Then property values would increase and we wouldn't need to bail out the same businesses that should be competing to hire Americans.

All we have to do is stop slamming our collective heads in the car door for a while. But we won't do that because we are far too busy hating fictional rich white men who sit in ivory towers making their billions while equally fictional oppressed masses starve in the streets.

Getting something for nothing is the fairy tale.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Yes NV I call it the Fiscal Free lunch social darwinism theory of governance.

I'll bet this thread won't get answered by a single one of them. Just like my offer to purchase the deed of anyone who wants to cut and run from america. Suddenly the pie holes shut, scattered like rats to whatever other scandal they could invent to drool over.

There was a time in america when character was something people actually aspired for even if there wasn't a profit. Even if no one else were watching to give you the credit. Can't wonder how we got here when winning at any price is glamorized.

------------------
Quote:
My enemy is not my fellow citizens. My enemy is lies.
Every time I find a conservative who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
Every time I find a liberal who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
I do not care what their religion is, what generation, what color state or skin. This for me is the only 'for me or against me' affinity argument worthy of enlistment.
Let my America stand on truth. ~Harborlady

Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Cut taxes to business.

Incentivize keeping work here (or penalize off-shoring).

Let what fails fail. Let stronger, wiser, better business models replace it.

Make it harder to unionize, not easier.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Only Japan taxes corporations at a higher rate than we do. Are you surprised Corporations can't leave the US fast enough? Those that stay perform money losing operations here and profitable ones in low tax, low wage nations. Their is no free lunch, and you can't hide taxes by shifting them to business and energy because we all pay them in the end anyway.

If we were business friendly, we would have corporations lining up to move their profitable operation here and we could be a net exporter again. That means two things. One is that the revenue we don't get by having high tax rates would start to roll in again. We also would have businesses competing for workers here. That means wages would increase and we could all pay our mortgages on time. Then property values would increase and we wouldn't need to bail out the same businesses that should be competing to hire Americans.

All we have to do is stop slamming our collective heads in the car door for a while. But we won't do that because we are far too busy hating fictional rich white men who sit in ivory towers making their billions while equally fictional oppressed masses starve in the streets.

I'm sorry mo, but you don't make a lick of sense. Corporations are leaving the US...but they're staying to operate at a loss. Huh? Are they leaving or staying? Can they do both at once? Can they be both here and not here at the same time? I see you've already been sprinkled by magic dust.

You have a widespread disease known as "taxes on the brain." It seems you see the economy only in terms of the tax code. I got news for you: There's more to it than that. How 'bout wages? Do you suppose that maybe, just maybe what is drawing manufacturers to Asia and Central America is cheap labor?

You see, when capital has squeezed every cent it can from cutting costs and improving efficiency, the only thing left to grab is tax money. You've been duped. Business can and does operate successfully, independent of the tax code. Once we reduce the tax rate to zero, and capital goes looking for another dime to squeeze, what will we do then? Will you pay your employer to let you work for him?

Oh, by the way mo, what's the difference between tax and wage costs? Need a hint? Oh heck, I'll tell ya. NOTHING! They're both costs of doing business. You want me to believe that business will return to the US if we reduce its tax costs, and then we will experience rising wages, which will result in replacing the reduced tax burden with an increased payroll burden? You want me to believe that? Do you think a company cares about anything other than its bottom line? Should it? Companies cut costs. Reducing tax rates adds to the profit margin; it doesn't affect wages in the least. And who are we going to be exporting these goods to? Certainly not the low wage nations you mention? Especially after the companies abandon them and leave the people without employment?

Oh, something else. You claim that companies are operating at a loss here in the US. Corporate tax is paid on income. Companies that show a loss don't pay tax. TAX RATES HAVE NO EFFECT ON COMPANIES THAT OPERATE IN THE RED. The more I read this nonsense, the more I think that it's pulled out of a nether region.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 03-20-2009 at 05:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

America had the least corporate taxes relative to the rest of the industrialized world, even then THEY DIDN'T PAY THEM, and you still want to pimp us out? Kiss their rings you say? Stockholm syndrome? You've repeated the talking points of FOXnews. Stretch your imagination -try for something original. I'd listen better.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cut taxes to business.
Nope. Business can pay like everyone else. Income is income. If you don't like paying business taxes, don't start a business.

Quote:
Incentivize keeping work here (or penalize off-shoring).
Absolutely.

Quote:
Let what fails fail. Let stronger, wiser, better business models replace it.
Agreed, if - and this is a big if - we don't allow the creation of near-monopolies, and if we reregulate the financial sector so that no one company's failure can cause ripples throughout the entire economy.

Quote:
Make it harder to unionize, not easier.
Nope. Capital has a right to organize, so should labor.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 AM

7 posts, read 15,608 times
Make it harder to unionize.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeharrison View Post
Make it harder to unionize.
Union membership is what...12%...and you think that's what has caused the recession? Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies