Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, I know this post will open up a can of worms....but here goes. I just can't believe my eyes here in this very trivial, I might add, poll by our local newspaper...as of today's edition.

Do you think Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner should resign?

• Yes, he has shown us he was the wrong choice for the post (1251 responses)
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/images/components/poll-bar.gif (broken link) 18.6%
    No, despite his mistakes, I'm still confident in his ability to lead (239 responses)
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/images/components/poll-bar.gif (broken link) 3.6%
    No, Geithner has done nothing wrong (5241 responses)
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/images/components/poll-bar.gif (broken link) 77.9%

• 6731 total responses (Results not scientific)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM

439 posts, read 616,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Oh boy, I know this post will open up a can of worms....but here goes. I just can't believe my eyes here in this very trivial, I might add, poll by our local newspaper...as of today's edition.

18.6%
    No, despite his mistakes, I'm still confident in his ability to lead (239 responses)
    3.6%
    77.9%

Obamabots

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:

What city? What polling method? It states the results are not scientific.

I'm not sure he should resign. He has not done anything wrong because he has not done ANYTHING yet. I think he is a smart guy based on what I have read. I also think he has no clue about what to do. Oh, and he's a tax cheat.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
What city? What polling method? It states the results are not scientific.

I'm not sure he should resign. He has not done anything wrong because he has not done ANYTHING yet. I think he is a smart guy based on what I have read. I also think he has no clue about what to do. Oh, and he's a tax cheat.
Palm Beach county. AKA LIB-CITY. I said it was a trivial poll and not scientific is stated.

You say he shouldn't resign but then in the next breath you say 'he has no clue about what to do?' Not making much sense there.

Um, what do you suggest be done then about his apparent lack of qualification for his position???

Can you spell R-E-S-I-G-N-A-T-I-O-N???

Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Interesting examination of Geithner and others on Obama's team, and their relationships to the de facto oligarchy. Transcript excerpt:

"BILL MOYERS: Geithner has hired as his chief-of-staff, the lobbyist from Goldman Sachs. The new deputy secretary of state was, until last year, a CEO of Citigroup. Another CFO from Citigroup is now assistant to the president, and deputy national security advisor for International Economic Affairs. And one of his deputies also came from Citigroup. One new member of the president's Economic Recovery Advisory Board comes from UBS, which is being investigated for helping rich clients evade taxes.
You're probably too young to remember that old song, "Sounds like the Mack the Knife is back in town." I mean, is that what you're talking about with this web of relationships?
SIMON JOHNSON: Absolutely. I don't think you have enough time on your show to go through the full list of people and all the positions they've taken."
Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:

18.6%
    3.6%
    77.9%

Evidently you feel Geithner should resign. Why is that?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Evidently you feel Geithner should resign. Why is that?
He cheated on his taxes and he was with the bonus loophole going through.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Well if Geithner does resign is there anyone as qualified to take the reigns? And more importantly is there anyone who would actually step up & serve?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Palm Beach county. AKA LIB-CITY. I said it was a trivial poll and not scientific is stated.

You say he shouldn't resign but then in the next breath you say 'he has no clue about what to do?' Not making much sense there.

Um, what do you suggest be done then about his apparent lack of qualification for his position???

Can you spell R-E-S-I-G-N-A-T-I-O-N???

In fairness, we should give him a couple more months. I don't like the guy, and do not think he knows what to do, but maybe he can assemble a team of advisors that will help guide him. I think he might resign anyway simply to save face with himself.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
If he does decide to go, I'd like to see Krugman in his place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies