Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,792,367 times

Advertisements

If Obama is serious about change he must address these 2 negative cash cows. Both are 'grey holes' in terms of return on the taxpayer dollar, although not the 'black hole' that the Iraq war is.

Individuals and childless couples get hundreds of dollars in food stamps a month, couples with children get cash, food stamps, and free medical, people cheat and manipulate the SSI program left and right. Make people work for government money. Guarantee a government job if need be, but don't guarentee 'money for nothing'.

At this time, when the economy is spiralling downwards, we need the most productive use of the tax dollar. Use the tax money to rebuild American infrastructure, re-train American workers, retooling the manufacturing base, etc. These produce both jobs and tangible benefits to Americans. The billions we pay to station troops abroad and develop new weapons when we already have the most sophisticated weaponry in the world is wasteful. It produces jobs, but nothing else.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,932,190 times
RINOs like cutting the first but spending more on the second. They see it as follows:

Social welfare pork = waste
Military pork = "investment"

Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,437,323 times
Yes. Obama has promised to get us out of Iraq, and the Middle East. He said he's just going to talk with terrorists so it's time to cut spending. The democrats don't believe in foreign wars so why do they want to keep a large military? I hope not to have to use against the American people.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,792,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. Obama has promised to get us out of Iraq, and the Middle East. He said he's just going to talk with terrorists so it's time to cut spending. The democrats don't believe in foreign wars so why do they want to keep a large military? I hope not to have to use against the American people.
Obama has only been in office a couple of months, and during that time he has accomplished quite bit. Bush was never scrutinized, and was not thrown in the fire like Obama. I think he will move on these 2 fronts - he has to if we wants to reduce the deficit in 4 years like he promised.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 15,169 times
Not to mention the 'EARNED (lol) income tax credit'.

The people who demand the most, contribute the least.

Reminds me of my ghetto-ass coworker who claims he doesn't mind paying higher taxes to help people out, yet he doesn't tip and bragged about how he and 'his boys' used to fraudulently claim other's children on his tax return.

I think we need to end foreign aid too and stop sending our military secrets to Israel so they can bomb children and sell the technology to China. Foriegn aid is welfare too, not to mention we can't afford it and Obama is sending $900 million to Palestine even though we basically paid Israel to bomb people who have nothing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What 'terrorists' has Obama said he is going to speak with?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times
I agree to a point.

End the war, absolutely, the sooner the better.
We've done too much damage to our military: 2,400 dead, 30k+ seriously wounded, 100,000 Iraqis dead; the world looks at us as a bully, filled with contempt; our credibility will be questioned for a long time.

Welfare
Welfare is to blame for runaway government spending
As a society, we need to take care of our least fortunate. Many people are ill equipped to deal with life and need assistance; many don't have basic intelligence or are otherwise lacking skills to care for themselves; these are serious issues.

I'd prefer seeing less welfare to businesses and banks, than to people.
I read a great article suggesting that the government wipe out all credit card debt, thus bailing out banks and people at the same time. It was refreshing to read this; I don't like the idea of giving the deadbeats who live beyond their means a clean slate; but why bail out the banks and not people.

Certainly welfare needs to be reviewed.
Part of the revamping would be requirements to receive payments including basic economics classes; basic health to include birth control, child care and some sort of nutrition. I would include mandatory norplant for the time a person is receiving benefits. Unfortunately the onus falls on the woman rather than the man where (I believe) it should fall because the only way a woman can get pregnant is with the introduction of sperm.

I'd like to see a health program whereby high school kids have to carry around a sack of flour or a baby doll for a few weeks and have strange schedules simulating that of a newborn.
I understand that the program was a success.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,924,399 times
We spend as much as the entire World combined on military spending despite only having 20% of World GDP....The Defense budget must be cut...I'd say 20% at least.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/...RestoftheWorld

Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 15,169 times
I don't mind having a powerful military but I don't think we should be fighting Middle Eastern wars to support Israel or any country.

We need to withdraw from the Korean border as well. Why do we have 30k troops in Korea when we can't even defend our own border?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,021,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
If Obama is serious about change he must address these 2 negative cash cows. Both are 'grey holes' in terms of return on the taxpayer dollar, although not the 'black hole' that the Iraq war is.

Individuals and childless couples get hundreds of dollars in food stamps a month, couples with children get cash, food stamps, and free medical, people cheat and manipulate the SSI program left and right. Make people work for government money. Guarantee a government job if need be, but don't guarentee 'money for nothing'.

At this time, when the economy is spiralling downwards, we need the most productive use of the tax dollar. Use the tax money to rebuild American infrastructure, re-train American workers, retooling the manufacturing base, etc. These produce both jobs and tangible benefits to Americans. The billions we pay to station troops abroad and develop new weapons when we already have the most sophisticated weaponry in the world is wasteful. It produces jobs, but nothing else.
Where is Obama guaranteeing "money for nothing"? Link, please?

He's said repeatedly, no more of that on his watch.

Maybe you havent heard about the plan for government jobs.

The DoD itself is calling for reductions in defense spending.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Certainly welfare needs to be reviewed.
I guess you missed the welfare reform act of 1996.

As for the OP, yeah, this is a great time to throw millions under the bus... god help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies