Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times

Advertisements

Michelle Malkin

watch the video and enjoy....after you have seen the video you might want to read the reason behind Earth Day and how dem. in the past have tried to scare all of us by telling us the world would come to an end...that was in 1970...this article is from 2000 and it showed the professors from Harvard and Stanford weren't quit right...now we are in 2009 and the world hasn't coming to an end.

Earth Day, Then and Now
The planet's future has never looked better. Here's why.

Earth Day, Then and Now: The planet's future has never looked better. Here's why. - <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Reason</b> Magazine (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:dx_xnyoVP88J:www.reason.com/news/show/27702.html+reason+behind+earth+day&cd=1&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Default Thanks, no thanks.

I'll pass. I don't observe "earth day". Earth isn't my god, and I think it's blasphemous to have "earth day". Besides, it's an insult to my intelligence.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
There was a time when environmentalism wasn't partisan. It's a shame that's no longer the way things are.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There was a time when environmentalism wasn't partisan. It's a shame that's no longer the way things are.
For as long as I can remember it were mostly Dem. who were preeching Global Warming (Al Gore, with his scare tacticts, etc...) and all of the environment issues and saying that the world would come to an end...read the article and see how the Dem. Harvard prof and Stanford prof. predicted that within 20 or 30 years the earth would stop existing....well this article was from 1970 and it is almost 40 years later and we are still on this beautiful planet called Earth!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
To disrespect the Earth and all its beauty is a sacrilege, yet what's ironic is that the right wing conservatives who want to shove religion down our throats don't want to honor the greatest gift of all from our Creator.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
For as long as I can remember it were mostly Dem. who were preeching Global Warming (Al Gore, with his scare tacticts, etc...) and all of the environment issues and saying that the world would come to an end...read the article and see how the Dem. Harvard prof and Stanford prof. predicted that within 20 or 30 years the earth would stop existing....well this article was from 1970 and it is almost 40 years later and we are still on this beautiful planet called Earth!

Your quoting from an era that was realing from Vietnam war and inflation. Yes you not only had Dems who were stating that the world was going to end, but also those who were against war. Its sad that even something as serious as the environment (earthday) could be turned into democrat vs republican discussions. Pathetic.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about Global Warming. I'm talking about environmentalism. Respect for life on this planet. Responsibility. Even in the 70s, these things were not along party lines. They weren't universal, but they were bi-partisan.

Pre-Reagan, both "religious issues" and the environment were not relegated to a single party. That's changed a great deal in the meantime.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
well this article was from 1970 and it is almost 40 years later and we are still on this beautiful planet called Earth!
Tell me you're kidding! The Earth is billions of years old, so you think because it still exists after 40 years means anything? It is more polluted than ever. It's rare to ever see a wild animal, unless he's stumbling out of a bar. We're running out of places to throw our garbage.

If you have 20 minutes, watch this video. This isn't a political film, it's just telling the facts. One of them is...we are trashing our planet so much that we are running out of natural resources. We are poisoning our world.

[URL="http://www.storyofstuff.com/"]The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard[/URL]

By the way, I worked in the furniture business for many years, and when people moved to FL from Europe they often wouldn't buy mattresses with metal springs or bedding treated with toxins like flame retardants that we soak many products in and have been proven to cause neurological problems, especially in children.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-29-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: fix spelling

Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'll pass. I don't observe "earth day". Earth isn't my god, and I think it's blasphemous to have "earth day". Besides, it's an insult to my intelligence.
Are all holidays religious? Is George Washington your god on President's Day? Are the Irish your god on St . Paddy's Day?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Are all holidays religious? Is George Washington your god on President's Day? Are the Irish your god on St . Paddy's Day?
Let's not be ridiculous. You know as well as I do what "earth day" is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies