Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
So the idea is to force people who never owned slaves to give their cash to people that never were slaves. Got it.

Real Einsteins we have there in DC.

We deserve what we get.

well lets stop funding others, the terror and unfair treatment didnt end in 1865 it went well into the 1970's with american citizens and goverment organizations vs blacks.

black wall street is one incident, lots of blacks lost land and property they had just cause, its like takng candy from a baby.

one thing though americans was far more sympathetic to jews(european decendants) than to its own citizens during the time of holocaust even til this day to those who werent even affected physically(wasnt alive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
In a sick/anthropoligcal way, I do want to see reperations, and here's why:

One of the main things propping up the Leftist agenda is race. If we want to reestablish a free nation, we need to slay the race dragon once and for all. I'm curious to see if more race-baiting would ensue after this passed...

One wonders, is it really about equality, or is it about vengeance...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My Irish ancestors were portrayed as dirty, drunken, violent, ape-like louts and it was all too common to put up signs at workplaces saying "Irish Need Not Apply".

Soooo....where's mine, boyos?
Actually, Irish need not apply for reparations. They became white within a generation.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
I agree. I'm black as well and always offended when i hear someone talking about reparations. Give me a break, this is why we get many racial comments thrown at us. (lazy, welfare ect ect) Yes we do need an even playing field, however we also have to work for it. Conyers need to worry about working with the republicans to get the economy back on track.

I'm so over this black/white crap....Better schools, better tools then its up to us to do the rest.
I agree with your statement as well. Im sure there are others who won't believe what we say because they think that all black people think and act the same.

Im all for the better schools argument, it helps everyone!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I suggest reading the actual quotes of what Obama said regarding reparations rather than WND's twist. WND is not exactly a legitimate news source. Do you see all the speculation instead of factual quotes they cram into the first paragraph?

If the GIVE bill does not mention race in any way, how is it a form of "reparations"? The fact of the matter is, Obama has spoken out saying he is against reparations for years.
Obama was the one who stated any reparations should take the form of helping youth, education, etc.

Not sure why anything I stated should be found offensive.

CNN Debate hosted by Anderson Cooper April 26, 2007
Quote:
QUESTION: Hello, America. Hello, presidential candidates. This is Will from Boston, Massachusetts. And I hope, you know, they put this question on. It's a question in the back of everybody's head. You know, in some people, it's further back than others, collecting cobwebs.

But is African-Americans ever going to get reparations for slavery? ....

COOPER: Senator Obama, your position on reparations?

OBAMA: I think the reparations we need right here in South Carolina is investment, for example, in our schools. I did a...(APPLAUSE)
I did a town hall meeting in Florence, South Carolina, in an area called the corridor of shame. They've got buildings that students are trying to learn in that were built right after the Civil War. And we've got teachers who are not trained to teach the subjects they're teaching and high dropout rates.
We've got to understand that there are corridors of shame all across the country. And if we make the investments and understand that those are our children, that's the kind of reparations that are really going to make a difference in America right now.
Part I: CNN/YouTube Democratic presidential debate transcript - CNN.com

Last edited by vec101; 03-24-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Fix size

Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama
I agree. I'm black as well and always offended when i hear someone talking about reparations. Give me a break, this is why we get many racial comments thrown at us. (lazy, welfare ect ect) Yes we do need an even playing field, however we also have to work for it. Conyers need to worry about working with the republicans to get the economy back on track.

I'm so over this black/white crap....Better schools, better tools then its up to us to do the rest.
are u serious.. so this is the reason why we're getting racial crap thrown at us LMAO GTFOH WITH THAT, 100! as far as conyers and republicans, they dont want to cooperate their only obligation is to destroy and distract

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
In a sick/anthropoligcal way, I do want to see reperations, and here's why:

One of the main things propping up the Leftist agenda is race. If we want to reestablish a free nation, we need to slay the race dragon once and for all. I'm curious to see if more race-baiting would ensue after this passed...

One wonders, is it really about equality, or is it about vengeance...
Equality, pure and simple. Just by reading a portion of the proposal the OP posted you can conclude for yourself that the intent is not merely to throw money at the descendants of the enslaved. They are talking about economic redress on a wide variety of institutional levels. We have unfortunately been born into a world where the diabolical creation of race still has its hand in nearly every sector of society. Any attempt to dismantle it would have to engender a complete reversal of the debilitating effects of generations of blacks who were perpetually disadvantaged by it. People forget that real social equality for black people wasn't codified into law until a full 100 years after the Fourteenth Amendment.

Of course reparations isn't going to magically make race go away, because too many generations of Americans have been brought up knowing it only as reality. But economic redress has to accompany true social redress, as the former is a necessary component of the ladder. Doing so will effectively negate the injustice full circle.

By design, America has already convicted itself on the charge of slavery and oppression. It is now necessary that it pay restitution on the basis of this conviction, just like any other person involved in the criminal justice system would have to do.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Obama was the one who stated any reparations should take the form of helping youth, education, etc.

Not sure why anything I stated should be found offensive.

CNN Debate hosted by Anderson Cooper April 26, 2007
I didn't say anything was offensive. The WND article, however, is reporting at it's lowest, suggesting Obama will be for reparations for Al Queida members.

But the fact is, funding inner city schools is not reparations for African Americans.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let's go back and give reparations to everyone that has been oppressed, victimized or otherwise harmed. Including slaves of African-American decent we can also start with the virtual slaves of European decent both adults and children that worked the coal mines in Pennsylvania.

I'm not trying to directly compare the situation slaves faced with "freedom" being the largest consideration however that is a relative term in this comparison and there are quite a few parallels. Technically these people were not slaves because they could go elsewhere if they wanted however in reality that is exactly what they were because it was either work or die hence the reason you would have children as young as the ones depicted in this picture working in the mines.

Here's how it worked, the mining company would own everything including the land, housing, stores and whatever else you might have. Sound familiar? The miners were paid just enough so they could make ends meet. Rent, food and other necessities were closely calculated so they could never get ahead and in lot of cases fell behind basically indenturing them to the mine.

My point is this, these people were obviously exploited as were many others groups of people of all races, do they deserve reparations too?
Exploited they were. But indentured servitude was largely a contractual affair, unjust as the terms of the contract might have been at the time. It was still a voluntary engagement on the part of the miners who came to America willfully and worked under the provisions of the contract. The key distinction between that and slavery was that slavery was a hereditary phenomenon, which included no right to self-determination whatsoever.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
This will be the straw that breaks the camels back. Mark my words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies