Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
128. I'm 'off-the-charts' conservative apparently. Even more conservative than "conservative republicans."
Me, too. 116.
What I want to know is why do they label "Libertarian" as "Very Conservative?"

The questions were, at times, misleading. Several of them had two parts. I didn't know which part I should be agreeing with.

I'd like to see how folks fare with this quiz:
World's Smallest Political Quiz

I may set it up as a poll in another thread. I'm not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Today's liberals are all about expanding government control and regulating every segment of society. Does not jibe with your definition of liberalism.
Talking points! Thats all you've got. You may deny it. but liberals beliefs have not changed much. Why don't you give me some examples of what you claim. I guess its the liberals trying to legislate their moral values and push them on everybody? I guess its the liberals that want to ban the rights of the gay/lez community?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Can you come with some coservative success stories? I doubt it, almost all conservative countries are poor and oppressed. I guess it fits the mentality.
How about The United States of America. It was a successful conservative/libertarian success story until the "progressives" (i.e. liberals/statists) started pushing their agenda for a bigger central government!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
How about The United States of America. It was a successful conservative/libertarian success story until the "progressives" (i.e. liberals/statists) started pushing their agenda for a bigger central government!
When was that?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Today's liberals are all about expanding government control and regulating every segment of society. Does not jibe with your definition of liberalism.
I agree with what both of you posted. The problem is that those that are calling themselves "Liberal" in this day and age are not truly liberal. Judging by this thread, they like the term "progressive" now. Personally, I use the term "statist" to define most of them. Since most of them want a larger central government, this is the definition that fits them the best. For those that want a smaller central government, with fewer restrictions on personal and economic freedom, the correct term is "libertarian."

Liberals and conservatives are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but could lean libertarian or statist in their views. Liberals believe the government should regulate the business sector while limiting regulations on personal freedom. Conservatives believe the government should regulate personal freedom while limiting regulation of the business sector.

Check out the quiz below to see what I am referring to:

Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Me, too. 116.
What I want to know is why do they label "Libertarian" as "Very Conservative?"
The terms do become confusing, I agree. For example, if you want the government out of people's personal lives (namely in the areas of sexual behavior and drug use), is that a liberal position or a conservative one?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
I agree with what both of you posted. The problem is that those that are calling themselves "Liberal" in this day and age are not truly liberal. Judging by this thread, they like the term "progressive" now. Personally, I use the term "statist" to define most of them. Since most of them want a larger central government, this is the definition that fits them the best. For those that want a smaller central government, with fewer restrictions on personal and economic freedom, the correct term is "libertarian."
I think you're a little confused about the terminology. I know all about the World's Smallest Political Quiz. It clearly says that "Liberals" are those who believe in government regulation of the economy, but less regulation of people's personal lives.

A Statist is someone like Pat Buchanan who wants strong regulation of the economy as well as regulation of our personal lives. That's one of the reasons why he doesn't fit in so well with the Republican Party anymore.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:

Liberals and conservatives are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but could lean libertarian or statist in their views. Liberals believe the government should regulate the business sector while limiting regulations on personal freedom. Conservatives believe the government should regulate personal freedom while limiting regulation of the business sector.

Check out the quiz below to see what I am referring to:
I tried it and I came out as Libertarian. I'm actually more conservative in reality.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
166/400 Conservative on this quiz but Libertarian on the other quiz.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default 336/400

Extremely progressive. That's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies