Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,574,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why is that do you think?
The same reason Honda was able to position itself initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hyundai's sales are up 4.9 percent.
Odd, news report shows them down 1.5% this month, meaning things continue to get worse
Hyundai sales down 1.5 percent | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090303/NEWS/90303028 - broken link)

yes, up from a year ago, but down for the month.

Overall, the company said it sold 30,621 vehicles last month, down from 31,090 a year earlier.

Sales of the Sonata, which is made in Montgomery along with the Santa Fe, fell to 4,734 from 8,538. That is a drop of almost 45 percent.

Santa Fe sales were 5,223, down from 6,003 a year ago.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Translation: Its ok to blame the CEO of GM for the problems of GM, even though the entire world is facing similar problems. Translation: You cant dispute the simple fact that all car companies are facing the same problem or you simply would have named ONE car company that wasnt..

Why even Lord below has confirmed that I'm right while at the same time argues I'm wrong..

Thanks for confirming exactly what I said.. To simply blame one man for an economic problem that a company is having, even though other companies in the very same industry is having similar problems is ludicrous..
The fact is Toyota is NOT in the same shape as GM and Chysler. While the industry overall is down, GM is in FAR worse shape than most. THAT is where the "blame the 'one man'" part comes in. Management of GM had been bungled for years - but as long as the economy was up, it could skate by. Now that the downturn is here, it no longer can.
If ALL the auto companies were in the EXACT same shape as GM you would have a valid argument, but the fact is, they are NOT all in the EXACT same shape as GM. GM and Chrysler are FAR worse off.

It's not that hard to understand.

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
Isn't Toyota asking for a government bailout?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The fact is Toyota is NOT in the same shape as GM and Chysler. While the industry overall is down, GM is in FAR worse shape than most. THAT is where the "blame the 'one man'" part comes in. Management of GM had been bungled for years - but as long as the economy was up, it could skate by. Now that the downturn is here, it no longer can.

It's not that hard to understand.

Ken
What is histerical is that this industry travels in cycles just like any other industry along with the economy. Why it wasnt just a year or two that Ford was having their own problems, now they seem to be off the radar for a period of time.

It was just two short years ago GM was holding the line on union contracts and then gave in so they could avoid bankruptcy and stay in business. GM, Union Agree on Contract to End Strike - washingtonpost.com

Big huge red flags went up at that time after reading the terms of the deal but no one seemed to mind then, they were all partying, people could return to work, hip hip horraa...

People here have very short memories..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Odd, news report shows them down 1.5% this month, meaning things continue to get worse
Hyundai sales down 1.5 percent | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090303/NEWS/90303028 - broken link)

yes, up from a year ago, but down for the month.

Overall, the company said it sold 30,621 vehicles last month, down from 31,090 a year earlier.

Sales of the Sonata, which is made in Montgomery along with the Santa Fe, fell to 4,734 from 8,538. That is a drop of almost 45 percent.

Santa Fe sales were 5,223, down from 6,003 a year ago.

Hyundai sales are up on a year-to-date basis compared to 2008
from Your Source (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090303/NEWS/90303028 - broken link)

Quote:
Hyundai Motor Co.'s Assurance Plus (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/specialoffers/assuranceplus/assuranceplus.aspx - broken link) program, which allows buyers to return their vehicles without penalty, has largely been credited with preventing Hyundai's sales from cratering in the worst economic recession in at least two decades.
While car and truck sales in the United States are off 39.4 percent so far this year compared to the first two months of 2008, Hyundai's sales are up 4.9 percent, according to Autodata Corp. That's prompting other automakers, especially General Motors Corp., to consider offering a similar bring-back-your-car-if-you-lose-your-job deal. GM's sales are down 51.1 percent this year, more than any other major automaker. Traditional incentives aren't pushing the sales needle for The General.
Source

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hyundai sales are up on a year-to-date basis compared to 2008
from Your Source (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090303/NEWS/90303028 - broken link)

Source
I said that sales were up from a year ago, is your reading comprehension today off? I also said that they are down for the month, meaning that while things got better (primarily due to their assurance program), less people are buying cars. My god can you twist facts anymore to try to make an argument that your still wrong on? We dont judge vehicle sales yearly when we're discussing economic conditions daily. Why I'm sure if we go back 50 years we can see that home sales this year is up, along with the average home price, this does not mean things are better..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Isn't Toyota asking for a government bailout?
Indeed it is, but their position is not nearly the same as GM's - and they are not in immediate danger of going under. The loan they are seeking (from the Japanese government) is more to make things easier on the company (and protect itself from a "worst case scenario) than a matter of needing the money critically to ensure survival (as is the case with GM). As I said, the auto industry overall is down - as is the overall economy. GM and Crysler however are in far wose shape than other auto companies - due largely to poor decisions (both by the unions and management) made in the past.

“Toyota should take advantage of anything it can to get through this crisis,” said Hitoshi Yamamoto, chief executive officer of Tokyo-based Fortis Asset Management Japan Co., which manages $5.5 billion in Japanese equities. “Money is not flowing in the capital markets.”

Toyota, Facing First Loss in 59 Years, Seeks Loans From Japan - Bloomberg.com

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
So Toyota is taking a lesson from GM's problems and acting early to get government money.....

Doesn't this show that all automakers are in trouble?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Do you even have a clue about why the motor companies are having financial hardship? If you think he did such a terrible job, then explain to me why every single car company in the world is facing similar problems.. Its an industry problem, not tied to just GM
Quote:
Some of us understand the Automotive industry intimately - Every single car company in the World is facing the same or similar problems currently being experienced by GM?

Interesting.
Quote:
I said that sales were up from a year ago, is your reading comprehension today off? I also said that they are down for the month, meaning that while things got better (primarily due to their assurance program), less people are buying cars. My god can you twist facts anymore to try to make an argument that your still wrong on? We dont judge vehicle sales yearly when we're discussing economic conditions daily. Why I'm sure if we go back 50 years we can see that home sales this year is up, along with the average home price, this does not mean things are better..
Uh huh.

Sure you did.

I simply asked you to explain or quantify your statement for the sake of discussion and clarity. You said every - not me.

~adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies