Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Well, I have no idea if it will hold, but the markets are certainly off to a great start. DOW back above 8,000 (up nearly 200 points) as I speak.

Have to wait and see to find out if it holds for the day or if the markets give back their gains. Either way, I'm still happy to see upward movement rather than the massive downward slide that's characterized the markets up until 5 weeks ago.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
I saw that....any idea why?

Any idea why nothing much happened yesterday?

Or why it fell the previous day?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Well, according to the news:

1) Wells-Fargo has announced double the profit Wall Street was expecting and has announced it plans to pay the government back sooner than expected.

2) Early indicators as that by and large the bailed-out banks are likely to easily pass the government "stress-tests"

3) Retail sales are mixed rather than all down.

In regards to yesterday, well the market DID end up a percent or so. The day before the market was down - probably due to profit-taking from the week before, bad reports that had come out on Monday, and concerns that numbers to be released later this week (meaning yesterday and beyond) would be negative. This latter may prove not be the case (we'll have to see).

Ken

PS - Obama spoke today, so by your oft-repeated theory, the market should tank.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:

Possible market manipulation...
Geithners Stress Test "A Complete Sham," Former Federal Bank Regulator Says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

UPDATE 1-US to delay bank test results for earnings-source | Reuters

All 19 Banks "Pass" The Stress Test

And, Wells Fargo is reporting a 1Q 'profit.'
JamJob: Wells Fargo And More - The Market Ticker (http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/948-JamJob-Wells-Fargo-And-More.html - broken link)

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Did the bank showing a profit get government money?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Did the bank showing a profit get government money?
I believe I did mention that: "Wells-Fargo has announced double the profit Wall Street was expecting and has announced it plans to pay the government back sooner than expected.

Ken

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM

It's possible. He gave no specifics though - nor a link to any hard data supporting his claim.

Ken

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I believe I did mention that: "Wells-Fargo has announced double the profit Wall Street was expecting and has announced it plans to pay the government back sooner than expected.

Ken
How much did they borrow?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
How much did they borrow?
Don't know off the top of my head.
You have fingers and google.
Look it up.

Ken

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's possible. He gave no specifics though - nor a link to any hard data supporting his claim.

Ken
He does have a point when he says this:

"Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner "is covering up," Black said. "Just like Paulson did before him. Geithner is publicly saying that it's going to take $2 trillion — a trillion is a thousand billion — $2 trillion taxpayer dollars to deal with this problem. But they're allowing all the banks to report that they're not only solvent, but fully capitalized. Both statements can't be true. It can't be that they need $2 trillion, because they have massive losses, and that they're fine…
“They're scared to death of a collapse. They're afraid that if they admit the truth, that many of the large banks are insolvent, they think Americans are a bunch of cowards, and that we'll run screaming to the exits…"
Bill Moyers Journal: Bill Moyers & Michael Winship: Changing the Rules of the Blame Game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies