Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Vermont governor's decision to veto same-sex marriage in his state?
Yes 33 41.77%
No 43 54.43%
Not sure 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 39,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Just a matter of time, bigots. You will lose this battle, just like you lost the civil rights battles of the 60s. It's just a matter of time.
Bingo. My wife and I talk about how obvious that is. I rarely hear it elsewhere. Kudos to Vermont for being on the moral side of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If that ever happened, mark my word...I would go to White House on my min. wage salary and protest. I am sure there would be many there with me.

And I am straight by the way.

It just hurts me to see my fellow Americans (who are gay and lesbian) getting denied their RIGHT to LOVE in a FREE country!

Just for the record. I think they should be able to marry if they want to. What do I care if a couple (or more) want to get married?

But you need to slow down with the uber-hippie talk. No one is denied the right to love here. They just want it for pure financial reasons. (well, thats probably 80-90% of it anyways)

Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Question: Is there anywhere that states in the Constitution that marriage is between a man and a woman?
Even better, is marriage even mentioned in the Constitution? Of course it's not! Which is why so many who are against SSM rushed to amend their state constitutions and want to add such an amendment to the US Constitution. They are scared to death that John and Joe down the street or Mary and Maria across town might get married. They are scared to death that the SCOTUS will overturn DOMA. I just can't imagine being so scared of something that has absolutely no effect at all on my life.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Choice or not

As far as whether being gay, bi, or anything in between is a choice: First of all, there's plenty of evidence leading in the direction of genetics. Perhaps it's not been proven, but it's certainly leaning that way. Let's say it's a choice, ya know? Just for fun. With all the hate and discrimination that goes along with being gay, why would you choose to be gay?

How many minorities in the 60's would've traded in the old dark paint job for a shiny new white one? How many beatings does it take before you want to trade up? Hmm? Has anyone ever considered that? No one wants to be discriminated against or hated. Who would make that CHOICE?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWroteThis View Post
As far as whether being gay, bi, or anything in between is a choice: First of all, there's plenty of evidence leading in the direction of genetics. Perhaps it's not been proven, but it's certainly leaning that way. Let's say it's a choice, ya know? Just for fun. With all the hate and discrimination that goes along with being gay, why would you choose to be gay?
Ironically, those who say it's a choice could be accused of being at least a little bit homosexual. After all, if you can imagine that it's a choice, then you must have the ability to see yourself choosing to be gay.

But the bottom line is that you're right. A person would have to be insane to have homosexual sex if he were actually heterosexual. It would make no sense.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ironically, those who say it's a choice could be accused of being at least a little bit homosexual. After all, if you can imagine that it's a choice, then you must have the ability to see yourself choosing to be gay.

But the bottom line is that you're right. A person would have to be insane to have homosexual sex if he were actually heterosexual. It would make no sense.

Right on. My point is even broader. Think about "choices" people make. People make "choices" which are in their best interest. I choose not to jump into the campfire, because it will hurt. I choose to drink water, because I don't want to die. Every choice we make is to benefit ourselves, our loved ones, our causes.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,034 times
I too would love to give homosexuals the ability to marry but....It's 2 guys so they can't.
Even if the whole country legalizes it, the homosexual married couple will always be the token married gay couple at every party. Every heterosexual couple will look at that marriage as different. Not equal. A lesser marriage. And in 100 years it will still be that way.

My question is: Why would you want to put yourselves through that?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWroteThis View Post

How many minorities in the 60's would've traded in the old dark paint job for a shiny new white one? How many beatings does it take before you want to trade up? Hmm? Has anyone ever considered that? No one wants to be discriminated against or hated. Who would make that CHOICE?
Birth defect.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Even if the whole country legalizes it, the homosexual married couple will always be the token married gay couple at every party. Every heterosexual couple will look at that marriage as different. Not equal. A lesser marriage. And in 100 years it will still be that way.
I bet some people looked at interracial and interfaith marriages in the same way. Many probably still do. The "token black couple", for example.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Birth defect.
lol.. Well, at least that's progress of some sort. At least you're not insisting that some people choose to be gay.

And while it's possible that homosexuality (or anything else for that matter) could someday be considered a "birth defect", at this time, the consensus among psychologists and medical professionals in general is that it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies