Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Ok, folks, I'm just curious and if anyone is offended by my topic header, please feel free let me know as I will change it to suit our more politically correct world... were groovy.

My question here is why do people find such terms to be offensive TODAY. I know they have some various meanings in the past, some not so koshers and nice, but that was then and this is now. Current culture allows for black men to use the "N" word when talking to fellow compadre's and that is cool, don't bother me a bit. It doesn't bother me that someone calls me a redneck or hillbilly or whatever, as they are just simplistic labels.

Why is it that we as a nation have come so far are still held in check by such silly terms to refer one another as? I sometimes point out the term "Jesus Freak" and that is met with a negative connotation and I don't understand it. I would think those folks who are very religious would be proud to be a Jesus freak, no? I'm a Rush freak, I enjoy the music of Rush, I'm an fan of Gaspar Sanz and enjoy Los Canarios, so I'm a classical guitar freak, big deal. I make homemade wine and grow many of my own vegetables and make most of my own necessities, I'm a proud hillbilly or redneck or whatever people wish to call it. Is it so bad?

Now I can understand the sensitives of throwing around terms like the "N" word, in fact the point that I have to put it in such terms is offensive to me personally. However we have come a long way, but maybe not far enough, I don't know.

There are so many descriptive words of our past that I see tossed around in contemporary life that no longer have the same meaning but because of what meaning those names or words hold, they still hold the ignorance that resides in all of us.

Ok, yall take it from here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Ok, folks, I'm just curious and if anyone is offended by my topic header, please feel free let me know as I will change it to suit our more politically correct world... were groovy.

My question here is why do people find such terms to be offensive TODAY. I know they have some various meanings in the past, some not so koshers and nice, but that was then and this is now. Current culture allows for black men to use the "N" word when talking to fellow compadre's and that is cool, don't bother me a bit. It doesn't bother me that someone calls me a redneck or hillbilly or whatever, as they are just simplistic labels.

Why is it that we as a nation have come so far are still held in check by such silly terms to refer one another as? I sometimes point out the term "Jesus Freak" and that is met with a negative connotation and I don't understand it. I would think those folks who are very religious would be proud to be a Jesus freak, no? I'm a Rush freak, I enjoy the music of Rush, I'm an fan of Gaspar Sanz and enjoy Los Canarios, so I'm a classical guitar freak, big deal. I make homemade wine and grow many of my own vegetables and make most of my own necessities, I'm a proud hillbilly or redneck or whatever people wish to call it. Is it so bad?

Now I can understand the sensitives of throwing around terms like the "N" word, in fact the point that I have to put it in such terms is offensive to me personally. However we have come a long way, but maybe not far enough, I don't know.

There are so many descriptive words of our past that I see tossed around in contemporary life that no longer have the same meaning but because of what meaning those names or words hold, they still hold the ignorance that resides in all of us.

Cool!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Taking offense at a word is used as a political battering ram. You gain leverage by being the offended victim.

Take black folks. For decades, they were called n----rs. Then that because offensive, so they were called "colored". Then that became offensive, so they were called "negroes". Then that became offensive, so they were called "blacks". Then that yielded to "African American". See? The idea is to keep changing the terms so you can keep on collecting on white offensiveness and white guilt, thereby getting concessions. Al Sharpton has that down to a science. Let's see. The twenty-year run for "African American" is about up. Pretty soon, they have to think of another term, so as to make people who say "African American" feel guilty, racist, or whatever.

In reality, it isn't the rank and file blacks who start this crap. It's the Jacksons and the Sharptons. These are the professionals who shake down white folks for a living Here's how the game works. Some white guy from a prominent organization says something. silly. Picture Don Imus and the "nappy-headed ho's" comment. Sharpton et. al. rise up, pull out the bullhorn, call for apologies, call for boycotts. Organizations doesn't want the bad publicity, so they pay Sharpton or Jackson to shut up and go away. Which they do.

Meanwhile, guys like Mike Tyson can talking about a "white b**ch, Charles Barkeley can say "white f***ots. No problem there. Whites don't have a Jesse Jackson.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM

479 posts, read 660,882 times
I will place the blame squarely on the liberal crowd. They have promoted a "PC" mentality that has taken the character right out of our culture. Thanks to them we are becoming as bland as white bread.

An example would be the writings of Mark Twain, what once was colorful descriptive text became a racial slur.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 PM

411 posts, read 962,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Taking offense at a word is used as a political battering ram. You gain leverage by being the offended victim.

Take black folks. For decades, they were called n----rs. Then that because offensive, so they were called "colored". Then that became offensive, so they were called "negroes". Then that became offensive, so they were called "blacks". Then that yielded to "African American". See? The idea is to keep changing the terms so you can keep on collecting on white offensiveness and white guilt, thereby getting concessions. Al Sharpton has that down to a science. Let's see. The twenty-year run for "African American" is about up. Pretty soon, they have to think of another term, so as to make people who say "African American" feel guilty, racist, or whatever.

In reality, it isn't the rank and file blacks who start this crap. It's the Jacksons and the Sharptons. These are the professionals who shake down white folks for a living Here's how the game works. Some white guy from a prominent organization says something. silly. Picture Don Imus and the "nappy-headed ho's" comment. Sharpton et. al. rise up, pull out the bullhorn, call for apologies, call for boycotts. Organizations doesn't want the bad publicity, so they pay Sharpton or Jackson to shut up and go away. Which they do.

Meanwhile, guys like Mike Tyson can talking about a "white b**ch, Charles Barkeley can say "white f***ots. No problem there. Whites don't have a Jesse Jackson.
Nailed it!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Once the head of America's Homeland Security decided to replace "terrorist" with "man caused disaster" I knew right then that the PC 'tards are driving the short bus.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Thanks to them we are becoming as bland as white bread.
Uh, excuse me.... that's Anglo European-American Bread to you. Don't let it slip again please.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

well I don't disagree with what you say, yet I don't agree either, so go figure. You are right that in the black community this has changed as it has and what once was ok to say is not ok today.

But lets stretch this further and beyond the obvious, as being someone that has to be judge of these situations, it isn't always easy for me, so help me out.

Does it honestly bother white folks to be called redneck or hillbillies? I mean I can understand the reference to things like "white trash" or "trailer trash" as being use in much the same manner as one would say, "ghetto dweller" or like wise.

Now personally, I find these kind of terms quaint and trite and they are not things I would use in my personal daily language. However I may at some point be in a conversation talking about race and I find myself having to pick and choose words that may or may not be offensive today, as I really don't know what the status quo on the day is.... help me out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Once the head of America's Homeland Security decided to replace "terrorist" with "man caused disaster" I knew right then that the PC 'tards are driving the short bus.
ok, that is just funny...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Redneck, homey, cuz, dirtleg, hillbilly, ngar, etc...
None of these offends me. In fact, very few "words" offend me - but that doesn't mean the person saying such things would get a pass, from me at least.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Uh, excuse me.... that's Anglo European-American Bread to you. Don't let it slip again please.

Don't you know that everyone is special and everyone is a whiner ( I mean winner) these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies