Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times

Advertisements

EPA blocks mountaintop removal.

In a major reversal of Bush policy, “mountaintop coal-mining permits are being put on hold until the projects’ impacts on streams and wetlands can be reviewed,” the Environmental Protection Agency announced today:
Citing its regulatory role under the Clean Water Act, the EPA said the letters stated that the projects “would likely cause water quality problems in streams below the mines, would cause significant degradation to streams buried by mining activities, and that proposed steps to offset these impacts are inadequate.”
A midnight regulation by the Bush administration attempted to make permanent its policy of permitting coal companies to strip the tops off of Appalachian mountains and bury watersheds with the waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
that's right. Because all we need is solar and wind power.

According to the BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2007, solar, wind and geothermal combined only account for around 1 percent of the world's electricity generation

Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
I've posted this link before - but I like posting good news.
Solar Energy Could Power U.S. Many Times Over : EcoLocalizer

Quote:
The report notes that a 100-mile-by-100-mile solar thermal installation in the American Southwest could meet the entire country’s energy needs. That area, it further adds, is just a little larger than the amount of land in the U.S. that has been strip-mined for coal.
How much would that cost? No idea.
Quote:
At the national level, the Environment Florida report is also encouraging. With the right policies, it says, the U.S. could easily generate 80 gigawatts of concentrating solar power by 2030. That would be enough to power 25 million homes, reduce carbon emissions by 6.6 percent and create between 75,000 and 140,000 new jobs.
Does that mean solar is the only answer?
Of course not.
But it is encouraging.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post

Of course not.
But it is encouraging.

By my calculations, using the information provided in your link, it would take 28,122 square miles to produce 7 terawatts of energy. Or, to put it another way, all of Rhode Island, Delaware, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New Hampshire.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post

Of course not.
But it is encouraging.
The big critique of seen on this wild claim is that they're estimating using theoretical "peak output" ratings which in fact are never achieved (not even close), they are ignoring transition loses due to resistance in the copper wires (which increases with the square of the distance so they're HUGE), and it assumes no one actually wants to turn a light bulb on at night... You know... When it is dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies