Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

It seem like I have a new reason to be glad for moving out of Kalifornia every day. These people are just plain nuts.
I don't think Californian's are nuts. I think they're desperate. That state is on such a downslide that it's going to take a miracle to bring it back.

Overpopulation, crowding, illegal immigration, a huge state deficit, an inept governor, drought, pollution, etc., are making people desperate there.

My username explains my stance toward California. I think it's a lost cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
My username explains my stance toward California. I think it's a lost cause.
It was a liberal experiment... thats what happens.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Here are the flip charts regarding the actual study:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/final_cool_cars_workshop_presentation31209.pdf (broken link)
Thank you for that.
I see that the Total cost per vehicle is estimated at $39-128

And I see that emission benefit is listed as:

Reduced compressor load ~ 0.6 MMT
Reduced use (shoulder) ~ 0.2 MMT

Reduced compressor load ~ 0.8 MMT
Reduced use (shoulder) ~ 0.3 MMT
Nationwide (side/backlites) ~ 1.9 MMT

However, that doesn't mean a lot to me currently.
MMTCO = Million Metric Tons of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent

From another source, California's MMTCO in 2004 was 480.
So ... less than a 1% decrease.

I agree that every little bit helps, but I don't think this is very cost effective.
Course, I'm not a scientist who's studied the effects of carbon dioxide.

I'll happily remain non-committal until such a time when I better understand the benefits. The costs are quite easy to understand.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
I'm waiting for the day California follows some European cities and countries and start applying a tax or fee based upon a car's engine size greater than 2 liters. Yep, let everyone start taking motor scooters. Oops, scooters emit more pollution than cars.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 PM

I'm waiting for the day when the majority aren't so insecure with themselves that they need to push their 'individuality' through every possible means.

"look at me!"
"look at my car!"
"look at my bumper stickers!"
"look at my custom license plate!"
"I'm unique and I demand attention!"

For myself, the primary purpose of a vehicle is to move me from one point to another and that is where its value lies.

I don't need my car to prop up my fragile ego, or I'd go buy a hummer.

If it turns out there's a good reason to ban some colors - fine with me.
Course, if it turns out all cars had to be painted pink I'd probably be complaining, or maybe relearn to ride a bike.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM

compjockey, I'm with you there. That's why I drive a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. No bumper stickers, no window stickers (other than tinted windows for our hot Louisiana summers), no huge muffler exhaust pipe, no big rims (only factory rims), no loud booming stereo (factory stereo with after market speakers for clarity due to my hearing loss after ear surgery), no fancy lights, and no fancy paint (silver).

Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Glad to hear it Dave.

I think its the younger generation that is stuck in a 'show-and-tell' mindset. At least it feels like that to me (little substance, but cool toys). Actually, I shouldn't generalize. I like my toys too, though I haven't indulged in new toys (anything unnecessary) much the past few years.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM

About the only thing I'd consider adding to my car is the nose bra. Only reason why is for a few weeks twice a year we get over run by something very nasty called the love bugs. These are black flies that fly together while mating. It's two connected by the backside. They float over roads in swarms and their goo is not only hard to get off the paint, but it can eat away at the paint.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yeah, and what color cars do all those celebrities arrive in when there's a fancy showbiz event? You guessed it. Black.

All good things and all bad things originate in California, gradually drifting across from west to east. So, if you "escape" California, you can't run far or for long.
Thank goodness I'm escaping NORTH! LOL!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,059 times
Things to consider:

Many government cars and SUVs are black
The Presidential Limo is black
Black is one of the most popular colors for cars, trucks, SUVs
Celebrity limos are black

Will convertibles be exempt????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies