Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times

Advertisements

It is too sad to think of those children --- I don't care if their grandfather was adolph hitler, the crash and their deaths are still horrible and tragic.
To bringing 'god' into it is just obscene, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That coincidence sets off my paranoia alarms. I wonder what the NTSB says caused the crash.
I'm going to go with 'the plane was overloaded and overweight.' For all we know one of the extra passengers managed to shove the flight control forward. But the plane was probably way beyond its weight rating.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
So much *concern* for the unborn, but so little regard for those who have been born...

~ButterBrownBrown~

Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I'm going to go with 'the plane was overloaded and overweight.' For all we know one of the extra passengers managed to shove the flight control forward. But the plane was probably way beyond its weight rating.
Half the passengers were children. Children usually weigh less than adults. While it's illegal to put more people into a plane than there are seats to hold them (except infants you can hold in your lap, which these weren't), its quite possible that the plane was not overweight, even at takeoff with a full load of fuel.

We'll have to see what the FAA report says about takeoff weight, as well as about rated number of seats vs. how many people on board.

BTW, this crash happened at the END of a long flight, not at the beginning. A plane is always heaviest at takeoff, when fuel tanks are full. It then burns off hundreds of pounds of fuel as it flies to its destination, and arrives far lighter than it took off.

Even if the plane was illegally overweight at takeoff, it's VERY unlikely it was overweight as it approached its destination airport and things went wrong.

My guess is, ice formed on the wings, changing their shape and making them much less able to generate the lift needed to keep the plane aloft. This is often not apparent at cruising speeds (300 mph for that plane). But when you slow down to approach speeds (150mph or less) and angle the nose upward to generate the lift you need, you can get a nasty surprise. A plane that flew fine with that weight level at 150 mph with no ice, can suddenly fall out of the sky when you slow down to 150 with ice on the wings. It is one of the more common causes of aircraft crashes.

Ice can also affect engine performance in various ways. It may happen that, if you find yourself going too slow and losing lift, and you gun the engine to pick up the necessary speed, you get no response, or even an engine failure.

Ice and airplanes just don't get along.

My guess is, the crash was related directly to icing, and unrelated to the plane's weight or passenger loading in this case. We'll see what the final report says.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Half the passengers were children. Children usually weigh less than adults. While it's illegal to put more people into a plane than there are seats to hold them (except infants you can hold in your lap, which these weren't), its quite possible that the plane was not overweight, even at takeoff with a full load of fuel.

We'll have to see what the FAA report says about takeoff weight, as well as about rated number of seats vs. how many people on board.

BTW, this crash happened at the END of a long flight, not at the beginning. A plane is always heaviest at takeoff, when fuel tanks are full. It then burns off hundreds of pounds of fuel as it flies to its destination, and arrives far lighter than it took off.

Even if the plane was illegally overweight at takeoff, it's VERY unlikely it was overweight as it approached its destination airport and things went wrong.

My guess is, ice formed on the wings, changing their shape and making them much less able to generate the lift needed to keep the plane aloft. This is often not apparent at cruising speeds (300 mph for that plane). But when you slow down to approach speeds (150mph or less) and angle the nose upward to generate the lift you need, you can get a nasty surprise. A plane that flew fine with that weight level at 150 mph with no ice, can suddenly fall out of the sky when you slow down to 150 with ice on the wings. It is one of the more common causes of aircraft crashes.

Ice can also affect engine performance in various ways. It may happen that, if you find yourself going too slow and losing lift, and you gun the engine to pick up the necessary speed, you get no response, or even an engine failure.

Ice and airplanes just don't get along.

My guess is, the crash was related directly to icing, and unrelated to the plane's weight or passenger loading in this case. We'll see what the final report says.
I know a lot of the passengers were kids. They were going on a ski trip though, and people bring tons of crap along for those. You have a delta of 6 people between what the plane is rated for and how many there were. I don't know the headcount for children vs. adults but I'd venture to guess that the overall weight of just the people was at least as many as 8 adults would've been.

Of course it would've been heavier at takeoff than when they crashed. My guess is that someone noticed they were getting low on fuel, diverted to this other airport and ran out short of the runway with no altitude to trade for airspeed.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And yet, here you are, posting your drivel.
Pointing out hateful stupidity is not equivalent to posting the same as if it were insightful.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
And was there a picture of Jesus on your grilled cheese sandwich today???

Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Pointing out hateful stupidity is not equivalent to posting the same as if it were insightful.
Agreed, but consider the source. The only potency of message she's got to offer is why should anyone feed idiotic threads. I think this thread ended right where your post left it. I'm willing to wait for investigators to make their assessment as to cause.

We may not shoot a lame thread to put it out of it's misery save for your one statement that hit the nail on the head, but we can refuse to feed it any serious consideration. Some really sick folks get off on getting beat about the head.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
To amplify:

There is almost no value in posting the drivel that's in the OP (unless you are Fred Phelps), but there is value in mocking it. The OP was an embarrassing mess of mythological nonsense, and Who?Me! is doing a public service by making sure that the OP will recognize that what used to be assumed as the default is not anymore. Blind belief in the existence of god is falling, and falling fast. And not a moment too soon.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That coincidence sets off my paranoia alarms. I wonder what the NTSB says caused the crash.
Maybe what it said about Michael Connell's plane crash - nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies