Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Tank1906,now that your guy won do you support the PATRIOT Act,increased borrowing and debt,the various wars,expanding the government,wiretapping people in this country,etc,etc?
Show me where Obama says he supports "illegally" wiretapping people in his own country and I'll tell you he's wrong but you can't. If expanding the government means investing in our future as a nation then yes I support it. Also, some provisions of patriot act are good IMO but we'd have to go line by line. What are these "various" wars. I know of two..I guess that's foxnews talk.

Still waiting on your solution

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
What will happen to the country if we do not borrow trillions of dollars from the Chinese to give to banks and other big businesses?

Will the Chinese repossess the USA?

Instead of all the fearmongering tell me what you think would happen if we decide NOT to spend trillions of dollars we do not have to get ourselves out of debt.
Fearmongering? Are we not in a recession? You don't ride out a recession. Investing in the future is what we should've done a long time ago.

Still waiting on that solution......................

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Tank1906,now that your guy won do you support the PATRIOT Act,increased borrowing and debt,the various wars,expanding the government,wiretapping people in this country,etc,etc?
You've brought this up before. Obama didn't sign the Patriot Act into law. He cannot veto it. As President, he is sworn to uphold the laws, not to change them. In our system of government, Obama doesn't have the power to simply remove the Patriot Act. Moreover, when lawsuits are brought against them, his branch of the government is charged with defending the laws of the United States. Even laws his administration might not like. How he utilizes the Patriot Act, will tell us about this administration and its regard for the Constitution. But he's going to have to utilize it, because much of our country's security measures are tied up in it.

As President, he inherited the wars we are involved in. While he could order all of our soldiers home immediately, that would be the height of irresponsibility. We invaded countries, and we have an obligation to the countries we invaded and to the region they are located in and to the entire world to withdraw responsibly, leaving some level of stability behind. Moreover, there is a responsibility to the soldiers who have died, or who have been injured, as well as to their families, to conduct ourselves with honor. A disorganized and hasty withdrawal will leave chaos behind. While we cannot stay there forever, and inevitably have to withdraw, we need to identify what our goals are/were, and we need to achieve those goals at least in part.

As for his economic measures, I think most Americans would like nothing more than to see that national debt start to shrink. I think also that many Americans are skeptical about how this administration is trying to help the economy recover, but that all Americans want to see that economy recover.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This just in this morning, in reports on Tax Day Tea Party attendance. It has been reported that an estimated 189,000 people attended the Tea Parties, with 15-20 thousand at the Alamo in Texas, according to police and sheriff department personnel estimates.

So much for the crdibility of the Atlantic, which didn't have any in the first place anyway.
Yeah, that was the claim made by the tea bagger organizers who have every reason in the world to lie and exaggerate the numbers. The Atlantic on the other hand is a nonpartisan mass media organization. I'd trust its numbers over tea bagger central's numbers any day.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
I would hate to live in your house as it seems the way to get out of debt when your income is cut is to borrow more money...

Quote:
Last week, in a filing to a federal court case, the Obama administration adopted the Bush administration's position that only the president, and not the judicial branch, can fairly judge the legality of the wiretapping program. The Justice Department is arguing that fighting the lawsuit would force the federal government to disclose national secrets.
Obama's Reality Check On Privacy and Wiretapping - Black Voices Blogs

Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yeah, that was the claim made by the tea bagger organizers who have every reason in the world to lie and exaggerate the numbers. The Atlantic on the other hand is a nonpartisan mass media organization. I'd trust its numbers over tea bagger central's numbers any day.
And of course only counted 17 protests....out of how many hundreds?

LOL....

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Houston had over 8 protest locations alone.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
What the Obama supporters don't get is that these tea parties are not as much about how many or who pays taxes as it is about what is done with the tax money. Congress needs to listen up because they are next in line to lose their jobs. I saw signs saying to "throw all the bums out."

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM

What is so difficult about investment..Less the inherently wealthy, most Americans will accrue some amount of debt when investing. Most can't pay cash for home, so they finance one, understanding that the value will increase overtime thus making it profitable. Why is investing in education, health care, energy and jobs so hard to understand? I know why, because our last POTUS completely ignored those things.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 AM

592 posts, read 502,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Jeez... the phrase I've heard him use hundreds of times is that 95% of working families will get a tax cut... that doesn't logically mean that the other 5% are not working families... you just want to pick an argument huh?
Let me explain. Let's take the whole group of working families as 100%. The families making less than 250k are about 95% of the working families. The remaining 5% making roughly more than 250K are 5% of the working families.

Hope that clears it up.

vsmoove; Just realized I quoted the wrong message. I just wanted to break it down in very simple terms for the other other poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies