Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times

Advertisements

400K showed up because many more knew that we were in for another painful four years. 2 million showed up because they thought Jim Jones was going to be in DC with some fresh Kool-Aid.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wow....the "paid to post" Obamacrats are out in force today. Obama must have watched the tea parties and sent a message along with the morning cup of Koolaid. Hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"the "paid to post" Obamacrats"

He has to put them to work somewhere...It looks bad for him with so many of his supporters on welfare..

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wow....the "paid to post" Obamacrats are out in force today. Obama must have watched the tea parties and sent a message along with the morning cup of Koolaid. Hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are just doing their part to keep the economy going

It would be more fun if they came with facts instead of lies. What a bunch of leftist whiners. This is the result of thier tea party in DC.

YouTube - Liberal Tea Party: Epic Fail

How many were in DC yesterday? Must be less than everywhere else if you believe the loser with the megaphone.

I hope they continue to downplay yesterdays events, it just shows that they are worried.

They want big gubmint with no regard to future generations, as long as they get their handout.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You pay taxes no matter where you live. Personally, I like paved roads, public parks, and police protection. But to the anti-tax maniacs, 1 cent would be too much. They want all the benefits of taxes, but they're selfish and don't want to pay their share.
You are completely mischaracterizing the nature of yesterday's protests, the people that attended them and the movement in general. I suspect that you already know this, and are doing it purposely. The alternative is that you've been parroting what the far-left has been feeding you without actually bothering to investigate it yourself, and I think you're smarter and more reasoned than that. Am I wrong?

I haven't seen or heard a single person calling for the abolition of all taxes. No reasonable person is calling for that, and to say otherwise is being intentionally dishonest. There are certain obligations that the Federal government has to the several states, and most everyone understands that meeting those obligations costs money.

The far-left diverges from the rest of the country when it comes to what those obligations are, and how to go about achieving those common goals.

Most of the anti-tea-party rhetoric I've read in this forum over the past few days is obscene, to be frank, and about as mature as a six year old smearing peanut butter on a classmate. Virtually every post contained one of the following basic principles as the foundation of its message:

1. You lost. Get over it.
2. Unless you're rich, you're getting a tax cut.
3. Name calling, with no other message.

By far, the majority of the posts fit in category 3. To use a favorite word of the the left, it was repugnant. Those of you who engaged in that kind of behavior know who you are, and you should be ashamed of yourselves. Grow up and debate like adults.

The only category of argument with any merit whatsoever is category 2. Considering the nature of the specific theme for yesterdays protests and the symbolism of the date they were staged, there is some validity to that argument. It's true that most won't see any immediate increase in their income tax. Whether that reduction continues for longer than a year remains to be seen, however. Congress and the President(s) have spent an unfathomable amount of money in the past six months or so and it will have to be paid back - much of it with interest - somehow.

I don't know if the anti-tea-party folks are being deliberately ignorant or if their news sources are deliberately misleading them, but taxation is just one part of what the overall movement is about, and a small one at that. The primary motivation for the tea-party attendees is the insane spending, including the bailouts. I've seen a lot of people that are denigrating the tea-party protesters who have also blasted the government for the bailouts. Guess what, guys - you're one of us. Also important is the fact that Congress isn't listening to its constituents. The entire country told them not to bail out the corporations, and they went right along and did it anyway. Money was passed out like candy, with about as much oversight, and we the people are pretty ticked off about it.

Now I can't speak for everyone else with regard to exactly why they were there yesterday, but for me, my reasons for being there were, in order:

1. Stop the spending. Stimulating the economy to help bring about the end of a recession is fine, but what they've done is absolutely out of control, and very little of the stimulus plan money is designated to do that. Most of it is designated to growing the size of the Federal government, which brings me to point 2.

2. Reduce the size of government. Our Constitution defines the role of the Federal government. What they're doing now is so far beyond the scope of their duties, it's mind boggling. I'm fine with certain liberties taken to facilitate the growth and prosperity of the nation (e.g. interstate highway system), but not at the expense of personal responsibility (e.g. health care).

3. Congress isn't doing their job. Congress is supposed to be made up of citizens, from our own cities and towns, who are there to represent us at the Federal level and look out for our own values and best interests. What it's become is a collection of greedy, corrupt and power hungry charlatans whose only interest is collecting as much money as possible for their next campaign, with complete disregard for their constituents and what's best for them. It has literally become a shopping mall for legislative votes. This needs to end. I'm calling for a wholesale replacement of every single member of Congress next year - they need to be reminded of who they work for.

4. Taxes. Yes, I'd like to see taxes reduced for the top tiers and increased for the lower tiers. No, I'm not rich, and yes, my taxes would go up if I had my way on this. Too many people aren't carrying their weight in our society, but they're reaping all the same benefits. The current system is, literally and figuratively, redistribution of wealth in action. Not only do those who aren't paying taxes benefit from all the things bought by those who are, but people are literally getting tax refunds larger than what they paid in over the year. I always thought that was right-wing propaganda until yesterday, when my girlfriend did her taxes. The first half of the year, she had a regular job. The total withheld from her paychecks was about $70. We started our business in the 2nd half of the year, so nothing else was withheld. Her "refund" will be over $5,200. That's about 75x what she paid into the system. If that doesn't qualify as redistribution of wealth, nothing does.

Hopefully some of the anti-tea-party folks will have read this post with an open mind, and maybe even learned something about what happened yesterday. If that's the case, great. I don't really expect to see anyone admit to it, though.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The government is out of touch with those of us that pay the bills. The Obama free loaders would naturally be for him.
Then how come if you look at the top 20 states that have people who no tax liability, 16 are bright, shining red?
http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/1410.html

Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
The crowd in Carson City, Nev., included a 5-year-old boy holding a sign that read, "My share of the national debt is $36,500." Some wore cowboy hats with tea bags dangling from them.

In Boston, a few hundred protesters gathered on the Boston Common, a short distance from the original Tea Party in 1773. Some dressed in Revolutionary garb and carried signs that said "Barney Frank, Bernie Madoff: And the Difference Is?" and "D.C.: District of Communism."

GOP Hopes to Pick Up Steam After Tea Parties - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Moderator cut: No insults, personal attacks, or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 04-16-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
So where are the jobs???

It will all come around and hit dems right in the face. They manufactured a candidate, now they have to tell him how to do his job. Sooner or later both ends will meet.
Yes, 3.5 million jobs should have been created by now! Get real. Ask where the jobs are in a few years and your question will be taken more seriously.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
I don't think they rank low, I know they do. I can even provide a link AGAIN! please enlighten me as to how I "teabag."

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You do it yet don't know what it is and you think California schools rank low? sue your 3rd grade teacher!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"the "paid to post" Obamacrats"

He has to put them to work somewhere...It looks bad for him with so many of his supporters on welfare..
LMAO!!!!

I guess these few paid to post Obamacrats do make a small dent in his 3 to 4 million job number.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Funny, I just did a right-wing google search and //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ay-556565.html came up.
I just googled liberal and this came up..

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/3...rals4wf0vu.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies