Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 04:33 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times

Advertisements

Considering the "stellar" track record of Illinois politicians, I'd treat this with all the consideration used tolit paper gets.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 PM

337 posts, read 826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am being serious. I saw a sexually expicit sign on this website:

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | 9Slideshows Gallery | 04-15-09-Tea-Party-protest

Look at slide #15. Paraphrasing: stimulus means foreplay, and you know what comes next.
Well, I mean if there was one sign than it must just be about sex. Thanks for finding that one.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
why are middle class families "working families" and those that make over 250k not "working families?"

Do they get paid through osmosis?
Oh puhleeze! Why is Hollywood so liberal and yet they make millions? The majority of the people who are protesting will never see an income of $250,000 in their lifetimes. Even if they do, most of the time they should be smart enough to pay themselves an income of $250,000 or less and use the rest for business expenses/deductions. I've known many people who own businesses that gross well over a million, but they don't have a net adjusted income of $250,000. By the way, those people I just mentioned are very comfortable. The small amount of tax we are talking about will not have any effect on their lifestyles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So indebting future generations is okay when you like the spending....

Nothing like putting your own selfish desires first.
So are you saying the Iraq war didn't cost anything? Why are we in this mess in the first place?

In order to put people back to work, spending is necessary. Why did so many stores close? Because people weren't spending. Why have so many restaurants closed? Because people aren't spending. Why are auto dealers in trouble? Because people aren't spending. We live in a capitalist society, which means we need capital to operate. The people in Washington who are telling you this is wrong don't care about you or your children. They can afford to buy everything they want. However, if there is no money, banks can't make loans, more businesses will fail, more people will lose jobs and when you are out of work, you can't spend at stores or restaurants, so more stores will close and....(see my point?)

Last edited by justNancy; 04-16-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 05:00 PM

337 posts, read 826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The banks failed after 8 years under Bush. Can't let the banks fail. Personally, I'm all for nationalization of the banks. Got any better plan? Wait. Never mind. I already know: "Reduce taxes on the rich." Got it.
Really? You want the government to control your money? Wow, I guess I will be stuffing my mattress soon. Not the governments job to run banks, run car companies or stimulate the economy.

Why you folks are ok with this is beyond me. If the banks or investment companies made bad deals and failed (while they also makde billions) we should take everything and I mean everything they have and invest it back into the economy, let the banks fail, let the mortgage companies fail.

Nothing like rewarding bad behavior. Kind of like telling them it is no big deal. I really don't think of it like that.

Not one wants to reduce the taxes on the rich-not that I have seen or read. What people don't want to imposing penalties on the "rich". Hey, 38% vs 33% won't really make a difference, but to just try and rob them beyond that is STUPID.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:41 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
No...if the country keeps heading in the direction we are, that will probably happen in the future, but I'm pretty positive you can't point out one single time that someone protesting was unfairly treated by the government.

Drama queen.
Here ya go. Chuck Baldwin -- Freedoms Lost Under G.W. Bush
Drama queen. this will be our code of secrecy, pssst, don't tell anyone.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Again, was Bush not spending out of control with NO eye to the future?
No.

PoliSci 101: The President proposes and Congress disposes.

Congress does the spending, not Presidents. If you recall, the Democrat controlled Congress doing the out-of-control spending for the last 2+ years had, and still has, the lowest approval rating in US history.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No.

PoliSci 101: The President proposes and Congress disposes.

Congress does the spending, not Presidents. If you recall, the Democrat controlled Congress doing the out-of-control spending for the last 2+ years had, and still has, the lowest approval rating in US history.
Not really, the president submits spending bills to congress, and congress either approves/disapproves spending bills (like the wars waged in iraq and afghanistan). on the other hand, the president has the power of veto, which was exercised by the bush administration very seldom, so, both share equal guilt. congress did threaten to not pass spending bills for the wars, but republicans said the democrats would be cutting funding of critical needs for our troops, hence, they passed all spending bills bush submitted. with earmarks.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Not really, the president submits spending bills to congress, and congress either approves/disapproves spending bills (like the wars waged in iraq and afghanistan). on the other hand, the president has the power of veto, which was exercised by the bush administration very seldom, so, both share equal guilt. congress did threaten to not pass spending bills for the wars, but republicans said the democrats would be cutting funding of critical needs for our troops, hence, they passed all spending bills bush submitted. with earmarks.

[...the Constitution provides that: "All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives."]

United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by DezertGirl; 04-16-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Who have been denied rights, and what rights have been denied?

I didn't say that anybody had been denied their rights. I said that "we still can find a few people in government who would deny the People their rights". That's if the article cited by the OP is true, which I think it is.

Quote:
---------------------------------------------------

Illinois Review: Schakowsky Calls Parties "Despicable' and "Shameful"

Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Schakowsky Calls Parties "Despicable' and "Shameful"

CHICAGO, IL (April 15, 2009) – Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-IL, released the following statement in response to “tea parties” being held on Tax Day.

“The ‘tea parties’ being held today by groups of right-wing activists, and fueled by FOX News Channel, are an effort to mislead the public about the Obama economic plan that cuts taxes for 95 percent of Americans and creates 3.5 million jobs. It’s despicable that right-wing Republicans would attempt to cheapen a significant, honorable moment of American history with a shameful political stunt. Not a single American household or business will be taxed at a higher rate this year. Made to look like a grassroots uprising, this is an Obama bashing party promoted by corporate interests, as well as Republican lobbyists and politicians.”

You can reach the Congresswoman HERE ( View from the Hill Online - Representative Jan Schakowsky, 9th District, Illinois (http://www.house.gov/schakowsky/contact.shtml - broken link) ).

Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't think anybody is arguing with this..

It's an "astroturf" operation...not grassroots....Right wing PACs and the wealthy Koch Family funded the start up and the right wingers danced liked puppets...

I'm sure they didn't know the Tea Party they attended was all part of a plan thought up by right wing think tanks.
Waaaaaaa! Waaaaaaa! I think it is great and even better when the Dems whine, complain, and cry over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies