Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:02 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times

Advertisements

I am glad to see Tea Parties taking place. I would love to see one in New York City.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I hope they are more than a bunch of 'hippies' and slackers promoting a bunch of fringe causes, otherwise they will be taken lightly

Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Nope, shouldn't be hippies. And not all "right-wingers" either.
Most of us are people who care about our country and want it to be more like the founders intended.
  • Smaller/limited federal government
  • Lower taxes
  • Less spending
  • Greater accountability on the part of those who are supposed to be representing us
Most of the Tea Party organizers and attendees are fed-up with Congress passing these huge spending packages in the name of "economic stimulus" with billions of dollars in earmarks. Plus there have been a lot of expansions of the power of the federal government, just in the past year. Most of the members of the House and Senate admit to (or allude to) never having read the entire bill they voted on. We are killing the dollar and heaping tons of debt on our children and grandchildren.

Yes a lot of conservatives like myself are involved, but I'd like to believe that even liberals would want our representatives to listen to and respond to the people who put them in office. I believe that both conservatives and liberals who have any sense are worried about too much power being given to the central government. Sure, conservatives don't like Obama-appointees having so much power, but liberals need to know that expansions of government power don't easily go away. So the next time there's a Republican in office, his/her appointees will also have all that power. Right now the left dominates the congress, but the tide will always turn and in the future the left will have to deal with the right being dominant. You would think that limited government would be something we could all agree on.

You might hear in the media that the tea parties are being created by "right-wing wackos" but they are really for all Americans who want their country back. Most of us who are planning to attend or get involved are in agreement that this is not to be an anti-Obama or anti-Pelosi thing. We don't want to alienate the Democrats who share our concerns about "we the people" being in charge and the government working for us. The tea parties are for people of all political backgrounds who agree on a few core principles, even though we disagree on specific policies.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I hope they are more than a bunch of 'hippies' and slackers promoting a bunch of fringe causes, otherwise they will be taken lightly
Maybe they can burn their W-2's instead of a draft card like the hippies did..

Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I'm going. I'll bet there is one planned for New York on tax day. I'll be holding up a Jefferson quote on central banks.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I see the wingnuts are all excited about something they call a "Tea Party", not sure what they are protesting, and I am curious who is pulling their strings, is this something Boss Limbaugh cooked up and propagated on his radio show or is someone else behind this? FOX News? Disgraced former neocons? What is their objective in all this? That the richest 5% of Americans pay too much in taxes?

Where is Joe The Plumber in all this, and will he be dressing like Sam Adams?
Bill Ayers is behind all these Tea Parties.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Bill Ayers is behind all these Tea Parties.

Cool, I might show up and show my support then.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Thats funny!! More like Mr. Clean....

Anyway, I think the reptards can't come up with a plan (as usual) on how to boil water so they decided to use the tea bags in the only way they knew how, as a distraction..
If Republicans are "reptards" then Democrats must be ... "Demtards"

Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
I see the wingnuts are all excited about something they call a "Tea Party", not sure what they are protesting, and I am curious who is pulling their strings, is this something Boss Limbaugh cooked up and propagated on his radio show or is someone else behind this? FOX News? Disgraced former neocons? What is their objective in all this? That the richest 5% of Americans pay too much in taxes?

I'm glad to see them protesting... Now they might understand what we feel like when our country is doing things that we don't agree with. The right has been mocking the left for protesting for a long time. I love seeing how the table has turned. I hope they're protesting a long time because they royaly screwed up our country and it's going to take a long time to fix.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
Quote:

maybe we are all just a little concerned with the national debt reaching 20 trillion dollars in a few short years with Obama's spending plans.
CBO: Budget adds 4.8 trillion to national debt, China worried « Wintery Knight Blog
a trillion dollars a year in debt, just what we need. And during this they are going to cut national defense spending and thousands of jobs on the military front (you know, to make it easier when China cashes in those bonds).

here's some more for you (if you actually take the time to read them)
Ten Tax Facts for Tax Day Tea Parties - Press Releases - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/29990007 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies