Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: They Deny homophobia because.....
They are not gay so they can never know reality 2 25.00%
They are taught to discuss their hatred openly and only within their circle of friends 0 0%
They are conditioned by society/parents/teachers/friends to behave that way 3 37.50%
All of the above 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Anybody else believe that the straight population enjoys denying homophobia?
Does anybody else see that?
Any reason why discrimination is more covert these days?

Some of the things I've heard are it isn't about his gayness it is about a "personality conflict" or "style" or "ethic" but then they refuse to expand on those issues with objectivity or clarity.

Homophobia is still an issue. One of them is straight people saying they accept gays yet retaining the negative biases of gays, such as: their behaviors go against God, they are amoral, they are perverted, mentally ill, decadent, will not populate etc. Those negative aspects placed onto every gay person will determine how they are treated imo.

I remember in a sociology class, a student said he wasn't against gays but he didn't want gay couples to adopt children because he was afraid the kids would turn out gay.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-27-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
It's because homosexuality wasn't as common back then as it is today. Still, no reason for this hate. I'm straight, but I'd say about 25% of my friends are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

Even at that, straight women seem to be more comfortable around gay people as opposed to men.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I won't deny it. My culture has hammered it into me from birth.

I do think that people are wired to be either gay or hetero and I hate with all my heart the horrible things that have happened such as the Matthew Shepherd case.

But there is still something deep in me that is a bit afraid of gays.

Like all other good heteros, I have gay friends though.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Anybody else believe that the straight population enjoys denying homophobia?
Does anybody else see that?
Any reason why discrimination is more covert these days?

Some of the things I've heard are it isn't about his gayness it is about a "personality conflict" or "style" or "ethic" but then they refuse to expand on those issues with objectivity or clarity.

Oh yeah...its right up there with my other hobbies. I enjoy nice long walks on the beach, golfing, denying homophobia, sports, and guitar.

Homophobia = The fear of homosexuals/homosexuality right?I dont think anyone's really scared of that, lots of people just dont understand it, I guess. Close-mindedness yes, fear, no.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Here we go again.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM

The poster above you just admitted to being afraid of gays yet having gay friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Oh yeah...its right up there with my other hobbies. I enjoy nice long walks on the beach, golfing, denying homophobia, sports, and guitar.

Homophobia = The fear of homosexuals/homosexuality right?I dont think anyone's really scared of that, lots of people just dont understand it, I guess. Close-mindedness yes, fear, no.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
This poll is phobic.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Where did you grow up? Why are you a bit afraid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I won't deny it. My culture has hammered it into me from birth.

I do think that people are wired to be either gay or hetero and I hate with all my heart the horrible things that have happened such as the Matthew Shepherd case.

But there is still something deep in me that is a bit afraid of gays.

Like all other good heteros, I have gay friends though.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
The poster above you just admitted to being afraid of gays yet having gay friends.

Ok. Good point......I just dont understand being afraid or having fear of homosexuals/homosexuality.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's some fear involved, because I've been hit on by some pretty dikey looking women. Maybe I wouldn't be so hetero if that weren't the case. I seem to attract them in droves and for the life of me can't figure out why.

However--I don't think it's any more annoying than being hit on by undesirable men, and gay women really do seem less likely to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies