Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitme View Post
Saganista, its so wonderful to have "brilliant" liberals like yourself to set us straight on the "Clinton Surplus Myth". From the "Looting of Social Security", The Impending Crises, page 183, "At the moment, the Social Security Surplus exists only on paper. The actual funds have been used to help finance the day-to-day operations of the federal government." As for Bush squandering the mythical surplus, I seem to remember Congressional Democrats giving the President a blank check.

You said: "When expended, Treasury securities are redeemed by the trust funds and the cash is used to fund the outlays authorized." Where do you think the "cash" comes from to fund the outlays? It comes from taxes, borrowing or cutting entitlements/spending. There is no cash or economic assets in the "trust funds".
Wow, you figured that out and you've only had one posting here.. Congragulations, maybe other liberals will pickup on this myth and understand that there is NO FUND.. its SPENT.. I've been through this numerous times with sag who knows enough to sound like she knows what she's talking about while ignoring evidence that she doesnt..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You and Craig Steiner need a refresher course in government accounting. Receipts into any federal trust fund INCREASE the public debt, they do not reduce it. This is because the funds are immediately invested in Treasury securities.
AND SPENT... Its not like money is sitting in a savings account somewhere to pay back the securities...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Do you think before you post?

Go to the CBO website and it's there to see.

there never was a surplus, as long as the USA has a national debt there will never be a surplus.

when we have no national debt let me know.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I said I debunked something - and I did - you are stating that I did not.
Haven't seen any debunking.

Link and text, please... or quit making fatuous claims.

Or, you could make a summary in your own words, explaining how the National Debt managed to increase in every year you claim there was a "surplus" in the yearly budget.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
AND SPENT... Its not like money is sitting in a savings account somewhere to pay back the securities...
As has been previously pointed out to you, there is no money in your savings account either. Or that of anyone else. All you have is a little piece of paper that says the bank owes you money. But the bank actually took your money, and then...oh, my god...THEY SPENT IT!!!

Last edited by saganista; 05-13-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, you figured that out and you've only had one posting here.. Congragulations, maybe other liberals will pickup on this myth and understand that there is NO FUND.. its SPENT.. I've been through this numerous times with sag who knows enough to sound like she knows what she's talking about while ignoring evidence that she doesnt..
And since none of the facts are on your side, each time you end up being CRUSHED simply by reporting the facts. Fish out of water is all you or any of these others hapless whiners are when it comes to these things...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Haven't seen any debunking.
Link and text, please... or quit making fatuous claims.
Or, you could make a summary in your own words, explaining how the National Debt managed to increase in every year you claim there was a "surplus" in the yearly budget.
Intro to Basic Remedial Finance 097:
Homework for Day 1 -- Learn the difference between debt and deficit.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Learn the difference between debt and deficit.
I know it well.

Did you find something wrong with what I said? Were you going to discuss it? Or just make snotty comments from dreamland?

Back to the subject:
When a yearly budget is balanced, or in surplus, the government's debt does not rise that year, because it did not have to borrow any money that year.

Only when the yearly budget runs a deficit, does the govt's debt rise, because the govt had to borrow money to make ends meet.

In all years from 1990 thru 2000, the govt's debt ("National Debt") rose, without exception. Government had to borrow money every year. That's because they ran a deficit every year.

The Clintonistas seem to be buying into the philosophy of their mentor from a few generations back, who said that if you tell a big enough lie often enough, people will believe it, and it will become truth. Looks like they're reached the people-believe-it stage, at least with their own acolytes. But they have work to do still. It hasn't become truth. Back to the drawing board, Clintonites.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 05-13-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies