Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yes, I see your point. I do have to say 'tho that if people have more disposable money, they'll spend more, thus increasing demand. I read an article in the paper today that states that credit card use is down, and savings is up (I think it's fairly reliable info based on what my contemporaries are talking about i.e. saving more). Could there also be an element of, understandably, people being concerned about jobs and as a result are demanding less?
Yes, and that plays into supply vs demand... emotions establish demand after basic needs of food/clothing/shelter. Anything above a bland diet, a cave, and a fur skin is a luxury. No matter how we like it, the choice between whole wheat bread and corn bread is simply a luxury. If we want better tasting food, that is a choice we make and therefore drive the price upwards or downwards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, and that plays into supply vs demand... emotions establish demand after basic needs of food/clothing/shelter. Anything above a bland diet, a cave, and a fur skin is a luxury. No matter how we like it, the choice between whole wheat bread and corn bread is simply a luxury. If we want better tasting food, that is a choice we make and therefore drive the price upwards or downwards, etc.

Very true - Pavlov made a great discovery with human conditioning didn't he? I do feel the "keeping up with the Joneses" has ebbed a bit in comparison to the last 5 or 6 years (in my area anyway) so maybe folks are lowering their expectations as far as luxury???

Thank you for the thought-provoking and respectful response as well as starting an interesting thread. I know it morphed into something unexpected, but I don't consider it embarrassing to see how people feel about what they see now-a-days. I hear these things all the time in the general public (not of course on the well-spinned so-called "media")

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
How are you supposed to move to a cheaper area if you only make 7.25/hr? If the low paying jobs are for kids living at home and extra money then would there not have to be a heavy concentration of kids living at home and so forth by each Walmart and if not who is going to work at Walmart ? Walmart makes Billions in profits and if they pay more they will have to layoff. Heck 10 million bucks will give 41000 employees a 2/hr raise on 30hr/wk. I thought the huge companies get all the tax breaks and whatever else they can get for pennies on the dollar so they can stimulate the economy and hire workers so they can spend and so on. Or is all the profits made by the employees supposed to go only to the owners.

I used to have a small 5 employee company and had to hire drivers for my 5 routes. Average pay in this town for similar work was 8.00/hr for 40hr/wk, but I paid 500.00/wk and still took home after expenses 4500.00/wk. What good would have come if I paid 320.00/ and kept extra 900.00/wk. I would of had high turnover like Walmart but I was not GREEDY.

That was for a weeks work wheather or not they worked it or not, it was gauranteed . Somehow I lived a pretty sweet life.
Wal Mart is the world's largest retailer. You don't get to be that way because you do dumb things harmful to your business. If Wal-Marts wage structure didn't work well for Wal-Mart or their employees, they wouldn't be doing it.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Wal Mart is the world's largest retailer. You don't get to be that way because you do dumb things harmful to your business. If Wal-Marts wage structure didn't work well for Wal-Mart or their employees, they wouldn't be doing it.
Wow you sound like one of those people 140 years ago, that claimed slave labor was good for the slaves.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
This story I'm going to relate is not so much about Walmart and their "union or nonunion status" but about a Grocery store being picketed by a Retail clerks hiring of a Nonunion person to picket a store.

This is a small Grocery chain that was Nonunion. A "VERY VERY" busy operation.(still are today)

I was in the Grocery/Inventory field for 23 yrs so was familiar with Grocery operations.

On leaving a store one day approached a young person with a picket sign and asked him about the reasoning etc. His knowledge of a Grocery store was limited to buying food like any other person. He said that the store was making a "LOT" of money and should pay more wages etc. He was obviously oblivious to the functions and costs involved in a Grocery operation. I told him that the store had overhead costs besides "wages". Cost of bldg,utilities,taxes,insurance,etc,inventory that has to be paid for and after all that the store will have a very small profit margin at the end of the quarter (13 weeks).

So now we return to Walmart. Same o...same o. The difference being the quantity purchase price to the retail price...ending with a margin of profit at the end of a quarter.

As to working at Walmart being at min. wage...question is what's the education level and experience needed for the job. Different people apply for different reasons.

People from all walks of life with various reasons apply...handicapped on up to degreed persons that were laid off their regular jobs to the economy being the reason.

High schoolers were once considerd inexperienced people for entry positions and thus min. wage.
Most people regardless of gender will find thenmselves at the bottom of the list for most of their lives with only a High School diploma. Even with that many do not know how to even count change let alone qualify for a higher paying position.

Sad but true..."reap so as ye shall sow"

Steve

Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Wow you sound like one of those people 140 years ago, that claimed slave labor was good for the slaves.
That was a troll statement withtout relevance.

Does anybody have a gun to people's heads forcing them to work at Wal-Mart? Hell no. People choose to work there and like working there or they wouldn't do it.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That was a troll statement withtout relevance.

Does anybody have a gun to people's heads forcing them to work at Wal-Mart? Hell no. People choose to work there and like working there or they wouldn't do it.
You don't know that you don't know that it's not the only job they can get. You make this crap up and run out like it is a fact.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
You don't know that you don't know that it's not the only job they can get. You make this crap up and run out like it is a fact.
If Wal-Mart is the only job they can get, then where the hell would they be without Wal Mart? You should be thanking them.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
If Wal-Mart is the only job they can get, then where the hell would they be without Wal Mart? You should be thanking them.
Probably working for those companies walmart put out of business.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
I'll take Target over this dump anyday...

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv284/thedanceinstitute/Target_08_Red_300x380.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies