Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,883,690 times

Advertisements

People do not understand the workings of a retail operation which is normal.

A store can sell a product at a lower profit margin then the competiter across town but will make up the difference in volume sales. Volume sales is where the profit lies

Store A can sell 10 items at $20 profit on each sale. TOTAL SALES $200.00

Store B can sell 20 items at $15 profit on each sale. TOTAL SALES $300.00

Store A may pay one whlse price while Store B will pay a lower price due to buying in VOLUME.

Do the simple math and you have Walmart with their volume purchasing ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Apparently Walmart is a very successful business model, and love 'em or hate 'em, you just can't ignore their success. Walmart gives people what they want:[indent]Low prices. They may not carry the Rolex, Gucci, Rodeo drive qualities, but you pay for what you get, and most know the quality of what they buy before they leave the store.
You know I've been noticing wal-mart has slowly been going up on their prices. i used to buy my sons play clothes from there - I think they're the Granimals name brand cause they have them for like $3.50 a piece. Then they were $4 Last time I went they had moved them up to $4.50 - not like that's a huge jump but if I'm going to pay $5 for some play clothes I prefer Sears Toughskins or even Kohls brand to Wal-mart, which are usually 2 for $10 anyway.

I used to use wal-mart as my safe house - I knew I would find a good deal there - but lately with all the super Saturdays at JCP and power hours at Kohls and extra savings of clearance at Sears I've been finding great prices on quality items and only been going to Wal-mart for my food.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
I posted this elsewhere......but I'll post it again.

I spent 3 friggin hours today tromping around the IKEA store looking for a handful of furniture items I needed. Good Lord....you had to find the product....write the description and number on a card....go downstairs....hope someone can find the box.....stand in more lines......get it to your car.

I was so confused trying to put a set of things together that I left and went to WalMart. In 20 MINUTES.....I had a cart....found exactly what I wanted at $200 LESS than IKEA.

I'm a believer.

Signed,
The WalMart Fan

And not to get off topic...............but the art I wanted for my kitchen was $29.95 at IKEA. Found the VERY SAME THING at the Dollar General Store for $10. Stuff made in China is universal. Don't pay the big price for the same stuff.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,503,248 times
For me it's personal; early in my trucking career, Walmart kept me at the dock in one of their distribution centers for 11.5 hours (unpaid!!!) Granted, most of the loads my company hauls into their D.C.s are "drop & hook" with no waiting. But they STILL refuse to let you sleep on their property at the D.C. (Many stores are more accomodating to truckers, though.) It's just after that initial loss of pay because of them, I've never darkened the doorway of any Walton family enterprise. I also try to buy "locally" as much as posible.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-07-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 AM

4,526 posts, read 4,076,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I go out of my way to avoid union stores. High prices at union stores make the point moot, anyway. I don't buy at union stores in principle, because a significant portion of my money would be going to people who actively vote for a party I consider destructive to America. I'm not going to help them tear down the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
For me it's personal; early in my trucking career, Walmart kept me at the dock in one of their distribution centers for 11.5 hours (unpaid!!!) Granted, most of the loads my coompany hauls into their D.C.s are "drop & hook" with no waiting. Butn they STILL refuse to let you sleep on their property at the D.C. (Many stores are more accomodating to truckers, though. It's just after that initial loss of pay because of them, I've never darkened the doorway of any Walton family enterprise. I also try to buy "locally" as much as posible.
I just thought these two postings should be juxtaposed.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,647,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Walmart isn't always the cheapest, but almost always provides the lowest quality product. Between Walmart and Target, the latter wins hands down.
The quality at WalMart is exactly the same as Target. The only difference is the packaging. All made in China.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I go out of my way to avoid union stores. High prices at union stores make the point moot, anyway. I don't buy at union stores in principle, because a significant portion of my money would be going to people who actively vote for a party I consider destructive to America. I'm not going to help them tear down the country.
I'm not sure where you're from, so I'll ask what stores are union stores?

Not "trolling" for a union argument, I'm just genuinely curious to know which ones have unions as I've worked in retail recently, and there weren't any union employees where I'm from - in New England anyway. Most of the jobs up here are part time with no benefits (except management positions).

Last edited by cebdark; 04-05-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The quality at WalMart is exactly the same as Target. The only difference is the packaging. All made in China.
Agreed. Some things are a little more "trendy" but more than likely from the same factory in East Beijing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,527,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I posted this elsewhere......but I'll post it again.

I spent 3 friggin hours today tromping around the IKEA store looking for a handful of furniture items I needed. Good Lord....you had to find the product....write the description and number on a card....go downstairs....hope someone can find the box.....stand in more lines......get it to your car.

I was so confused trying to put a set of things together that I left and went to WalMart. In 20 MINUTES.....I had a cart....found exactly what I wanted at $200 LESS than IKEA.

I'm a believer.

Signed,
The WalMart Fan

And not to get off topic...............but the art I wanted for my kitchen was $29.95 at IKEA. Found the VERY SAME THING at the Dollar General Store for $10. Stuff made in China is universal. Don't pay the big price for the same stuff.

IKEA furniture isn't worth a s--t.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,168,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I'm not sure where you're from, so I'll ask what stores are union stores?

Not "trolling" for a union argument, I'm just genuinely curious to know which ones have unions as I've worked in retail recently, and there weren't any union employees where I'm from - in New England anyway. Most of the jobs up here are part time with no benefits (except management positions).
Costco is union in my area and there prices are cheaper than Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies