Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Costco is union in my area and there prices are cheaper than Walmart.
Thanks for the info - we don't have a Costco here - we have Wal-Mart, Kmart/Sears, Target, Kohls, JCPenney, Macy's - typical biggies. There is controversy in my area as Wal-Mart is preparing a "Superstore" and that's making the grocery stores around here a little nervous. Shaw's started building a new grocery store to replace one of 2 in the area, but as it stands now, it's nothing but a cleared lot, and the one they were going to replace is closed (leaving only one store on the other end of town). They have dropped the plans for the new one indefinitely.

Interesting that the prices are cheaper... I wonder if Costco can buy more in regard to volume (although I can't imagine that given the buying power capability of Wal-Mart).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Thanks for the info - we don't have a Costco here - we have Wal-Mart, Kmart/Sears, Target, Kohls, JCPenney, Macy's - typical biggies. There is controversy in my area as Wal-Mart is preparing a "Superstore" and that's making the grocery stores around here a little nervous. Shaw's started building a new grocery store to replace one of 2 in the area, but as it stands now, it's nothing but a cleared lot, and the one they were going to replace is closed (leaving only one store on the other end of town). They have dropped the plans for the new one indefinitely.

Interesting that the prices are cheaper... I wonder if Costco can buy more in regard to volume (although I can't imagine that given the buying power capability of Wal-Mart).
When Wal-Mart opens a superstore then Target will open a superstore. I have 2 Wal-Mart superstores and 2 Target superstores within 10 minutes of my house and don't shop at either one for groceries. The saying at Target is that they have a great price for Ice Cream. No sense buying it there you just know it's going to melt while your standing in line to pay for it.
Costco beats them by selling there own brands "Kirkland" The milk is a dollar cheaper per gallon, Fresh produce you have to by in bulk 20 lbs of potatos instead of 5lbs, 5lbs of carrots instead of 2 lbs. The meat is what I think is great, they have the Butcher shop flavor at half the superstore price. If one ever comes to your area you should check it out.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Dukester, you think I like the low wages people earn at Wal-mart? You are so wrong if you do.

But your fix is pie in the sky. My fix is education that includes competition and how people are paid based on how competitive they can be. NO ONE deserves a job!!! FACT.... Until you can accept that millions of American's are doomed to poverty.
What if every able bodied American had a minimum of a Masters degree, would Walmart still pay their low wages do to the dum dums that apply there because they need some sort of work?

I am one of those dumba$$'$ that has worked for Walmart cause I needed the money after getting cut from my 50,000.00/yr job so as not to take welfare. I only have a highschool education but am not that stupid to have to accept low wages and low bennys just cause I don't have a degree in something.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
When Wal-Mart opens a superstore then Target will open a superstore. I have 2 Wal-Mart superstores and 2 Target superstores within 10 minutes of my house and don't shop at either one for groceries. The saying at Target is that they have a great price for Ice Cream. No sense buying it there you just know it's going to melt while your standing in line to pay for it.
Costco beats them by selling there own brands "Kirkland" The milk is a dollar cheaper per gallon, Fresh produce you have to by in bulk 20 lbs of potatos instead of 5lbs, 5lbs of carrots instead of 2 lbs. The meat is what I think is great, they have the Butcher shop flavor at half the superstore price. If one ever comes to your area you should check it out.
Interesting...it's highly unlikely that the Target in this area will open a superstore 'tho. With the exception of "Black Friday," the sales figures don't justify the expense I would suspect. I'm just hoping they'll be able to maintain a store here to keep in the competition loop.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I like going to Costco because I know the employees there are #1 well compensated and taken care of and #2, their employees enjoy working there. I go to Target because our local store is cleaner and again, the employees are happier and more helpful. Sue me for thinking about more than just my bottom line ... I like companies that care about their employees. I'd rather pay the extra couple bucks.

Tomo .. were you the one who wondered how anyone can be as happy as you because you spend your sunday mornings in church?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I'm a purchasing manager so I'm pretty darn good at procuring good deals for the companies I work for. That said, I have NEVER EVER purchased anything at Wal Mart for any company I've worked for. I haven't even set foot in a wal mart for many years. If you purchase enough of something, or even go into a business agreement with another company to purchase things in bulk and split it, the prices will match or beat wal mart. Plus, you'll be working with locally owned companies which will keep many people happily in business.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times
Quote:
Costco is union in my area and there prices are cheaper than Walmart.
No way in hell Costco's cheaper than Wal-Mart.

You're telling me Costco can get its stuff cheaper than Wal-Mart AND pay union bosses at the same time? Sorry, it's not happening.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I like going to Costco because I know the employees there are #1 well compensated and taken care of and #2, their employees enjoy working there. I go to Target because our local store is cleaner and again, the employees are happier and more helpful. Sue me for thinking about more than just my bottom line ... I like companies that care about their employees. I'd rather pay the extra couple bucks.

Tomo .. were you the one who wondered how anyone can be as happy as you because you spend your sunday mornings in church?
Oh BS. I get so tired of hearing how miserable Wal Mart employees are. They all seem cheerful and helpful to me. I would rather pay cheaper prices for groceries than to have my money going to union coffers so they can make donations to the political party that despises capitalism.

And again, there's no way in HELL, Costco and Target are cheaper overall than Wal Mart. Stop the nonsense.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
No way in hell Costco's cheaper than Wal-Mart.

You're telling me Costco can get its stuff cheaper than Wal-Mart AND pay union bosses at the same time? Sorry, it's not happening.

All stores prices depend on product and sale. No one store is higher or lower across the board. They often will sale price some things, and increase the prices in others. The result is someone getting a good buy on one product and ripped off on another allowing the store to increase a profit even though they reduced on a certain product. It is expected that most people will buy more than the sale item. Many stores do extensive research in buying habits and price certain products according to different types of makeup in order to maximize profits with a sale that trolls in impulse buyers.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Oh BS. I get so tired of hearing how miserable Wal Mart employees are. They all seem cheerful and helpful to me. I would rather pay cheaper prices for groceries than to have my money going to union coffers so they can make donations to the political party that despises capitalism.

And again, there's no way in HELL, Costco and Target are cheaper overall than Wal Mart. Stop the nonsense.

My wife and I shop at Walmart, sometimes target and at our local specialty food place for specific buys and products. We saw a news report that claimed that Target was cheaper than Walmart across the board. So... we brought the calculators and did a shopping list that we compared with Walmart on the same day.

Some items were cheaper than Walmart, others were sometimes twice as much. We tried to stick with store brands for both stores allowing a more accurate comparison of their offerings. The end result was Target at +48 dollars more in expense.

Walmart can be pricey at times (they catch you in certain items), but over the years doing these sorts of comparisons, I have never found Target to be cheaper and surprisingly, in some cases their quality (produce) was terrible (rotten produce on the shelfs). Granted that may be a store issue (Ive seen some really nasty walmarts too), but the prices were consistently better at the Walmarts.

Personally, I don't offer loyalty to a store. Its a business contract with them. As long as they pursue offering me the best price vs quality of product, I will continue to do business with them.

It is merely my personal opinoin, but I think those who profess loyalty to stores over price/quality are part of the problem as to why stores sometimes take advantage of consumers. If everyone shopped conservatively and held the business to competition, we wouldn't have over priced stores ripping off customers and hoping they are stupid enough to buy into social/political factors. A fool and their money are easily parted. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies