Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,463,113 times

Advertisements

I think what you're advocating is for politicians to put country before party. I read somewhere that it was once a fighting insult to call a politician a "party man". That meant that he put his political party first before his country and the people he represents. Politicians of both parties are guilty of this. Just watch the legislature when the President speaks before them. His party stands and claps after almost every word or phrase while the other party sits on their hands. This goes on with both parties and it sickens me. That's why I don't watch a state of the union or any presidential speech given before the legislature. It's almost as bad as a high school pep rally. Do what I do, if the president is giving a speech before the legislature then change the channel. I did this with GHW Bush, WJ Clinton, GW Bush, and BH Obama. The press and the opposing party already have a copy of the speech before it's given so why not release the speech online or in newspapers and call it a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
From what I have read of your posts, you have no clue what America is.
Right. Perhaps you can call your idol Ms. Bachmann and have her put me on her/your list for extermination? Since only you, she, and others of your scary ilk have the real low-down on what it means to be American.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,922,538 times
If everyone and everything mentioned in this thread so far was sent into space on the next shuttle mission, people here would probably get along a hell of a lot better. I had to remove myself from here for a week and clear my head to really take note of that. Everyone should try that once in a while.

Most of the people mentioned on this thread couldn't care less about what really happens to any of us. They were just better at BSing people than the rest of the people they were competing with for the jobs they landed.

Edit: When I posted this I only read the first page. Since then, there may very well have been some very decent people mentioned...

Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,757,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think what you're advocating is for politicians to put country before party. I read somewhere that it was once a fighting insult to call a politician a "party man". That meant that he put his political party first before his country and the people he represents. Politicians of both parties are guilty of this. Just watch the legislature when the President speaks before them. His party stands and claps after almost every word or phrase while the other party sits on their hands. This goes on with both parties and it sickens me. That's why I don't watch a state of the union or any presidential speech given before the legislature. It's almost as bad as a high school pep rally. Do what I do, if the president is giving a speech before the legislature then change the channel. I did this with GHW Bush, WJ Clinton, GW Bush, and BH Obama. The press and the opposing party already have a copy of the speech before it's given so why not release the speech online or in newspapers and call it a day.
People are disillusioned by politicians representing a 'brand'. Lib and con brands. The truthful answer a politician can present in displaying his true stripes can happen if we pose what if scenarios at them and see what their response corresponds. I view libs and cons approaches as tools, and there is a correct tool to use for any given circumstance. Conservatives, the true kind, do not care for Bush. Ultra liberals do not care for Hillary any more than Ultra conservatives do because she's centrist, which in their minds is an abomination.

Obama can, and has, exhibited every form of tool we've got in the drawer. His track record is being forged in this moment. People knew he was left leaning from the begining, but he won't refrain from taking the tools of the right out of the tool box. There is a time and place for all things, a time for radical ideas, a time for fiscal restraint, a time for reform, a time to put to rest outdated practice. Drop the pretense of hate, the pretense that any party dogma has all the answers, and let the problems themselves dictate the appropriate solution.

Last edited by harborlady; 03-27-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-27-2009, 07:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
This is the first sign that someone is clueless about America;

Quote:
"you have no clue what America is."

Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Bachmann why the right wing always supports the people that are unstable I'll never know. Christ do you remember her first time she met G W Bush, she kept trying to grab him in the crotch. At least she could have taken him to a public restroom instead of right there on national TV.
Really? Give me a break. You have some proof of this absurd accusation?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Right. Perhaps you can call your idol Ms. Bachmann and have her put me on her/your list for extermination? Since only you, she, and others of your scary ilk have the real low-down on what it means to be American.
So, in your mind, I guess, the founders of this great country were all of the same "scary ilk". Right?

Why is it that those of us who wish to preserve our liberty, as the founders gave it to us, are "scary"?

More importantly, why is it that people of "your scary ilk", are so willing to give it up, and you call that "progress" and "moving forward"?

The only direction you people are moving is backward, to oppressive government, and aristocracy. Today's so-called "liberals" (and I would like to reclaim that word and restore it's rightful meaning) believe they are smarter than the rest of us, and they know better how we should live and order our lives. Today's Democrats are the aristocracy that are attempting to wield their authority over everything we do.

Even as we speak, they are considering a new "farm bill" that threatens the small farm, and even the home gardner, that wants to produce a small crop and perhaps sell some of the produce locally. Oh, you haven't heard of this yet?

And what about the recently passed CPSIA (Consmumer Product Safety Improvement Act) that (again) nobody read, that is putting small manufacturers, makers of one-of-a-kind goods, and other small business out of business because of the very expensive (and ridiculous) testing requirements that only large manufacturers can afford?

This is "progress" to you. To me it's oppression.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times
Quote:
So, in your mind, I guess, the founders of this great country were all of the same "scary ilk". Right?

Why is it that those of us who wish to preserve our liberty, as the founders gave it to us, are "scary"?

More importantly, why is it that people of "your scary ilk", are so willing to give it up, and you call that "progress" and "moving forward"?

The only direction you people are moving is backward, to oppressive government, and aristocracy. Today's so-called "liberals" (and I would like to reclaim that word and restore it's rightful meaning) believe they are smarter than the rest of us, and they know better how we should live and order our lives. Today's Democrats are the aristocracy that are attempting to wield their authority over everything we do.

Even as we speak, they are considering a new "farm bill" that threatens the small farm, and even the home gardner, that wants to produce a small crop and perhaps sell some of the produce locally. Oh, you haven't heard of this yet?

And what about the recently passed CPSIA (Consmumer Product Safety Improvement Act) that (again) nobody read, that is putting small manufacturers, makers of one-of-a-kind goods, and other small business out of business because of the very expensive (and ridiculous) testing requirements that only large manufacturers can afford?

This is "progress" to you. To me it's oppression.
It's amazing how you manage to twist the truth. Simply amazing.

First, you claim that you and your kind are the only ones interested in preserving American liberty, while the rest of us "aristocrats" are willing to "give it up," are attempting to "wield authority" over everything." No evidence of that, of course. Just another warped, fearful and paranoid view of the world. And stunningly and willfully blind--not to mention laughable--given the fact that we just spent 8 years under an administration whose sole aim appeared to be the destruction of the Constitution. Minor detail in your mind, I'm sure.

Claiming that the CPSIA is putting small manufacturers out of business, etc.--a claim which is unsupported by the evidence, and which appears to not care about unsafe products leashed unto the public. Business trumps ethics in your Bushie world.

And if you were worried about the American small farm, where were you over the last 40 years--or any part thereof--while the American government--in collusion with big agribusiness--drove the American small farmer off their land? Hmmm? Can you show me your posts about that?

Your view of the world is so classically Freudian, it's not even funny. You take the economic oppression of the American people--which began with Reagan and reached its zenith with George W. ********--and somehow--presto!--your rage is hundredfold against Barack Obama. Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious what you're really pissed about. Like the rest of your Ohio brethren, you can't stand the fact that there's a black man in the White House. And your honey Sarah Palin made damn sure that she produced enough hateful and suspicious rhetoric around him to last for YEARS. What a tool.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,168,185 times
Quote:
Really? Give me a break. You have some proof of this absurd accusation?
What are you kidding? Google Bush Bachmann you see her rubbing herself up and down on him. Her vice like hand grabbing his butt, while trying to suck the poor mans tonsils out of his head. You will witness Bachmann whisper in his ear, of course we will never know what she said. I have heard that those near said they heard Bush reply, " and you won't dribble any on your dress". Well we'll never know for sure but the one thing we do know, is that night at the podium Bush fumbled his words.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,575,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I like the way you think. I might add Al Franken and Harry Reid to that list.
And Schumer, Feinstein, Boxer, and Bloomberg, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies