Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times

Advertisements

I can only hope! At least where I live, I see no evidence of any Obama-mania nor maniacs. Thank God for that! Anyway,

Quote:
It's obvious the camera loves President Barack Obama. But are American audiences growing tired of his seemingly ubiquitous TV appearances?

The New York Times columnist Gail Collins put it this way: "…there appear to be only two constants in our ever-changing world. One is that Barack Obama is going to be on television every day forever. No venue is too strange. Soon, he’ll be on 'Dancing With the Stars' ('And now, doing the Health Care, Energy and Education tango ...’) or delivering the weather report. ('Here we see a wave of systemic change, moving across the nation ...’)"

The TV ratings seem to echo the feelings of those less-than-enthused critics. According to Nielsen (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/news/ynews/pl_ynews/storytext/ynews_pl277/31455646/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090326/tv_nm/us_obama_viewers - broken link), Obama’s much hyped prime-time appearance attracted 40 million viewers, down 18% from his February 9 press conference and down 23% from his February 24 address to Congress.
I'm quite sure the obamatons/obamamaniacs will toss this way out of context, yes? ROTF, LMAO!

Has Obama-mania reached its limit? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090327/pl_ynews/ynews_pl277 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I can only hope! At least where I live, I see no evidence of any Obama-mania nor maniacs. Thank God for that! Anyway,

I'm quite sure the obamatons/obamamaniacs will toss this way out of context, yes? ROTF, LMAO!

Has Obama-mania reached its limit? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090327/pl_ynews/ynews_pl277 - broken link)
I think it has. Many people bought into the post partisan ideals he presented yet he has governed in a very partisan way. You can see it on this board with is supporters lashing out in every direction with ad hominem attacks. I think his approach to the current crisis is flawed but instead of debating the substance of the issues we get defection and diversion. I think independents who wanted to believe in him are becoming disillusioned.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
To paraphrase the Black Eyed Peas

"We're jus gettin started eh!"

Step by step, like you're into new kid.
Inch by inch with the new solution.
Trench men hits, with no delusion.
The feeling's irresistible and that's how we movin'.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Right now I think he will still generally have support, especially by the many who voted for him as a Santa Claus who will give them (financial & benefit) presents.

Also, his continuing attack on the wealthy plays out well with these folks, so we just have to see how long it last as his term unfolds.

Eventually, he will run out of presents, and then they likely will tire of him. If he eventually ask for anything from them, this will accelerate the process.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I can only hope! At least where I live, I see no evidence of any Obama-mania nor maniacs.
Obama-mania... what is that?
The blog linked doesn't define it, though it suggests that Obama-mania is related to television ratings.

The president has my support already, so I didn't watch the press conference until later that night online. I didn't hear a lot of new things, but I do like hearing his explanations. Boring to some, but then I also like hearing a chessmaster explain their strategy (boring to many).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Right now I think he will still generally have support, especially by the many who voted for him as a Santa Claus who will give them (financial & benefit) presents.
How relevant is this? Do we have a number? I know of 1.

Quote:
Also, his continuing attack on the wealthy plays out well with these folks, so we just have to see how long it last as his term unfolds.
I think many of the wealthy know there are issues with the tax system (warren buffett is an example - paid a smaller % of his income in relation to his secretary)

Quote:
Eventually, he will run out of presents, and then they likely will tire of him. If he eventually ask for anything from them, this will accelerate the process.
If you'd started "If he stops making good decisions, .. " I'd agree.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:

You said it kinder then I would have but I believe you are quite accurate.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
I think many of the wealthy know there are issues with the tax system (warren buffett is an example - paid a smaller % of his income in relation to his secretary)
Well, unlike your example I am separating income tax from the social security tax.

Since one is a pure "cost" while the other has a significantly weighted "anticipated return on investment" I don't think they should be commingled in any tax discussion.

I stand by my comment.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Quote:
Well, unlike your example I am separating income tax from the social security tax.

Since one is a pure "cost" while the other has a significantly weighted "anticipated return on investment" I don't think they should be commingled in any tax discussion.

I stand by my comment.
I wasn't thinking of social security at all.
Quote:
Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent.
Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary

Its due primarily to how he makes his money (capital gains is taxed at a lower rate than wage income).

The wealthy I know approve of Obama (its a limited pool, I admit).
They do not feel under siege.

And somehow despite Obama pledging support for small business the republicans have spread the myth of higher taxes for small business to those who don't know otherwise (not you in this post, but throughout this forum). Maybe McCain's doing?

Quote:
He claims 23 million small-business owners would pay higher tax rates under Obama. He's wrong. The vast majority would see no change, and many would get a cut.
FactCheck.org: McCain's Small-Business Bunk

Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
In general, I believe 'Obama-mania' peaked on January 21st. Most normal Americans have moved on, and most people I interact with on a regular basis could careless about the old president, the new president, and much less about politics. However, go to a more politically oriented crowd, and you still see that 'Obama-mania' is still very much alive, but not nearly to the extent that it is on internet forums (CDF in particular). But then again, for whatever reason the internet is an extremely polarizing force, and a lot of people tend to act a lot more radical than they really are...

Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To paraphrase the Black Eyed Peas

"We're jus gettin started eh!"

Step by step, like you're into new kid.
Inch by inch with the new solution.
Trench men hits, with no delusion.
The feeling's irresistible and that's how we movin'.
Paraphrasing rappers?

Looks like we'll be in OK shape folks. Just gotta wait them out. The intelligence quotient apparently isn't nearly as high as they want to make you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies