Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,192,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A twenty year-old screwing around with a sixteen year-old should be shot.
Gimme a break! I was a 16 year old year girl once. Those girls dating guys in their twenties know exactly what they are doing, 20 years old is extremely immature for a guy, usually the girls are in control in those relationships and often have the guy believing they are over 18. I'm sorry for people who think their daughters are little angels who should never grow up, my parents thought that too, but girls do grow up, and faster than most boys so learn to deal with reality and face your daughter, not just the blame the guys she dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,264 times
I have been searching on the internet for people, and groups against megans law, and im glad i see there are people out there who relize that it has goten way out of hand.
If megans law is not stoped, or at least reformed more like the first post states . then the majority of lives in this county will be unessisarily destroyed.
I believe of the over 800,000 registered sex offenders in this country there is a very small percentage of dangerous people like the ones the law was started for.
Most are the people unknowingly downloading images on there computer, the 19 year olds with the 17 year old girlfriends, or even the guy who got caught pulling off the side of the road to take a ****.
Now the majority of these basicaly normal harmless people who are no different then most of the population, are now being seen to the rest of society in the same catagory as those monsters who raped and killed inocent kids. These normal people are being rejected by most landlords, and employers because they are afraid how having a registered sex offender around would be bad for business.
Just like enough people were outraged about what happened to megan, and started this law.
(who i think had all the right intentions at first). but megans law has now become the monster destoying the magoriy of mostly normal peoples lifes, while doing little or nothing to protect any children.
While people are keeping an eye on the registerd sex offender across the street, who they think is so dangerous. (who in reality was that 19 year old boy with the 17 year old girlfriend). their children are probably being molested by an uncle, or gradfather,(who has never been arested for anything yet), right under there noses at a family reunion.
Because the majority of sex offenses against real children under 13 happen in the family, not the very few crazy guys luring kids into a van.
If enough people believe megans law is not working the way it is now, and needs to be revised to apply to only the very few very dangerous sexual preditors, and not the majority of the very normal hamless people who are registered now. Then we need to get together, with polictical support to change this law that is ruining this country. Hopefully enough other countries are smart enough not to have anything like the megans law in this county as it is today.
It is already comming to teenage girls sending pictures to their friends in their underwear are being threatened with inprisonment , and becoming registered sex offenders.
Its really scary to think how bad it could get in the future.
At the rate it is going now, in the near future, every citizen will either be in prison & probation, and then a registered sex offender.
If anyone knows of an organization now besides the ACLU, that is trying to stop, or change
megans law please let me know. If there are people out there intrested in starting one, let me know so we can save this country from this out of control law.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,468,587 times
I agree with the OP, and in fact, I wrote my undergraduate thesis on why Megan's Law should be repealed. But it won't be, because it is one of those feel-good laws that politicians and the media use to sell themselves to the public as solving some problem, usually one that was mainly invented by these same people. In order to sell Megan's Law and keep it going, the most ridiculous and easily disprovable lies were offered to the public--for instance that sex offenders have a 90% recidivism rate (or 98% or 100%, depending on the "source") when in fact most studies suggest they have no higher a recidivism rate than any other class of offender.

(BTW if you forcibly rape someone against their will, why should that be classified as a "sex crime" rather than a "violent crime"? I never got that.)

In any case, we ought to do what we can to minimize the effect of this egregious law on the non-violent offenders who are caught up in it. As well as demand an end to the residency requirements that have resulted in unintended consequences like colonies of sex offenders living under bridges in Florida (does that make you feel safer?) or concentrated in little dump motels along the highways in Iowa (does that make you feel safer?) or locked out of hurricane shelters (does that make you feel better about what kind of country this is?)

This is our country, we need to speak out against these rubbish laws, and the Bill O'Reillys and Oprah Winfreys who are in the forefront of pushing them on us.

"Any law named after a person is a bad law." --Glenn Reynolds

Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by can we stop this law? View Post
If anyone knows of an organization now besides the ACLU, that is trying to stop, or change
megans law please let me know.
I know of several. What state are you in?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,594,537 times
Unfortunately, females are known to be child killers too , so a female child sexual predator should get same as male child sexual predator.
Public Skeptical Woman Killed, Raped California Girl - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,299,755 times
Sex offender registry lists are, in my opinion, unconstitutional. It is just another prison sentence without physical bars. It is a social stigma a hundred times worse than being a homosexual EVER was. If peopel were agaisnt making homosexuals register or against Jews having to wear a gold star then they should be against this too. Such lists make no distinction between violent assaults and consensual sex. The OP is also very correct in that females are not treated anywhere near as harshly as males when it comes to sex crime sentencing. If such a disparity existed between Black and White defencents there would be a national uproar and liberals would be crying racism. Well, sexism is just as bad. Finally, the OP is correct again in that teens and pre-teens are much mroe sexualized todya than in the 1950's or even the 1980's. The age of consent needs to be lowered WAY below 18. Perhaps as low as 12 and in all cases, the level of understnading, development, and knowledge of the non-adult needs to be taken in to consideration when determining if a 'crime' was committed. In many cases the non-adult is often the aggressor in consensual sex relationships yet the law rarely takes this in to consideration. We all know the idfferecne between a pedophile abducting a child from a bedroom window and a schoolgirl who gets too close with her teacher. The law needs to recognize those differences too.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,192,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Sex offender registry lists are, in my opinion, unconstitutional. It is just another prison sentence without physical bars. It is a social stigma a hundred times worse than being a homosexual EVER was. If peopel were agaisnt making homosexuals register or against Jews having to wear a gold star then they should be against this too. Such lists make no distinction between violent assaults and consensual sex. The OP is also very correct in that females are not treated anywhere near as harshly as males when it comes to sex crime sentencing. If such a disparity existed between Black and White defencents there would be a national uproar and liberals would be crying racism. Well, sexism is just as bad. Finally, the OP is correct again in that teens and pre-teens are much mroe sexualized todya than in the 1950's or even the 1980's. The age of consent needs to be lowered WAY below 18. Perhaps as low as 12 and in all cases, the level of understnading, development, and knowledge of the non-adult needs to be taken in to consideration when determining if a 'crime' was committed. In many cases the non-adult is often the aggressor in consensual sex relationships yet the law rarely takes this in to consideration. We all know the idfferecne between a pedophile abducting a child from a bedroom window and a schoolgirl who gets too close with her teacher. The law needs to recognize those differences too.
I can think of two television shows highly watched by tween and teen girls where a main character who is an underage high school student has a consensual "romantic" relationship with a teacher who is in his twenties, it's played as normal, as though the only problem is he might lose his job. It is very common for 16-17yr old girls to go after twenty something guys, and the girl is in charge, the guys aren't pedophiles, the girls look and act much older, often they lie about their age.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I can think of two television shows highly watched by tween and teen girls where a main character who is an underage high school student has a consensual "romantic" relationship with a teacher who is in his twenties, it's played as normal, as though the only problem is he might lose his job. It is very common for 16-17yr old girls to go after twenty something guys, and the girl is in charge, the guys aren't pedophiles, the girls look and act much older, often they lie about their age.
Very true. The out-of-whack laws lead to all sorts of tragedies, much worse than any undesirable things they are supposed to prevent. In my state there was a far-too little publicized case of a young-ish high school teacher who had a consensual affair with a 16 year old student, in which the state wanted to sentence the man to 6-15 years even though the law had just recently changed, raising the age of consent from 16 to 18 regarding "persons in authority." The guy hung himself in his mother's garage the day before he was going to be sentenced. The state evidently wanted to "protect" a teenage girl from sex with her boyfriend. One wonders how she feels now.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Very true. The out-of-whack laws lead to all sorts of tragedies, much worse than any undesirable things they are supposed to prevent. In my state there was a far-too little publicized case of a young-ish high school teacher who had a consensual affair with a 16 year old student, in which the state wanted to sentence the man to 6-15 years even though the law had just recently changed, raising the age of consent from 16 to 18 regarding "persons in authority." The guy hung himself in his mother's garage the day before he was going to be sentenced. The state evidently wanted to "protect" a teenage girl from sex with her boyfriend. One wonders how she feels now.
It is the fault of the Law that a teacher who would have sex with a 16 year old student , went to his mothers to kill himself ? You are in need of help yourself if you don't think there was something wrong with this man .

I am glad parents have a place to look to see what teacher did things to students.
After Bill Clinton made/asked a teenage girl suck his thing and people didn't care , I knew moral values were in decline.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,261,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Pedophiles should all be shot.
If they're guilty or not?
Having sex with your 16 year old girlfriend? Shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies