Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Middleborough, MA (AHN) - Motorists kept going as a woman was savagely beaten and sexually assaulted in her car on the side of a heavily-traveled road in Middleborough, Massachusetts on Friday afternoon.

Boston ABC News affiliate WCVB reported that the attack lasted more than 10minutes and no one stopped to help the woman.

No One Stopped To Help Woman Attacked On Busy Road | AHN | March 29, 2009 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014596888 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
It is one thing to be "afraid" and thus not stop, it is another "not to get involved" and it is quite another thing not to call 911 from a cell phone and keep driving...that's awful, nope, it is deplorable.

Perhaps, as the cop stated it may have looked like a driver stopping to help another driver however, I don't think it is still out of the realm of simple caring/concern to call the police and simply say one driver appears to be having a problem on the interstate.

I have called the state police on more than one occasion when I have noticed something on the interstate although I have not stopped to see if I could help...between reading so many articles about 'scams' with cars pulled over with the hood open to deliberately have people stop to help and then get robbed or hurt, I figure careful I will be, pretending to be oblivious, that's terrible.

I can't imagine any of those who drove by would ever want others to drive by them and be ignored if they were in trouble.

Thanks for sharing this; perhaps it will help others to realize it is simply a matter of dialing 911.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
fyi in 9 out of 10 domestic violence cases referred to on CDF, the abused woman went home with the abuser even after intervention.
sometimes when force is used to stop the assault on her, the woman will defend her abuser. its not like the movies is it.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Not surprised here. It happened in a Blue/Liberal state. If this would happened in a place like Texas or Oklahoma, the woman would have been saved and hopefully the attacker would have been shot to death. Liberals have no HEART.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
it is one thing to be "afraid" and thus not stop, it is another "not to get involved" and it is quite another thing not to call 911 from a cell phone and keep driving...that's awful, nope, it is deplorable.

Perhaps, as the cop stated it may have looked like a driver stopping to help another driver however, i don't think it is still out of the realm of simple caring/concern to call the police and simply say one driver appears to be having a problem on the interstate.

I have called the state police on more than one occasion when i have noticed something on the interstate although i have not stopped to see if i could help...between reading so many articles about 'scams' with cars pulled over with the hood open to deliberately have people stop to help and then get robbed or hurt, i figure careful i will be, pretending to be oblivious, that's terrible.

I can't imagine any of those who drove by would ever want others to drive by them and be ignored if they were in trouble.

Thanks for sharing this; perhaps it will help others to realize it is simply a matter of dialing 911.

Everyone is afraid of the lawyers and the prosecutors.

And for good reason.

No one wants to have their life ruined.

Last edited by ergohead; 03-29-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Not surprised here. It happened in a Blue/Liberal state. If this would happened in a place like Texas or Oklahoma, the woman would have been saved and hopefully the attacker would have been shot to death. Liberals have no HEART.
WHY must this tragic story turn into something political. DAMN.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
everyone is afraid of the lawyers and the prosecutors.

And for good reason.

No one wants to have their life ruined.

WTF that is the stupidest reason to not help someone being raped and beaten I have ever heard!
Cowardly even.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
fyi in 9 out of 10 domestic violence cases referred to on CDF, the abused woman went home with the abuser even after intervention.
sometimes when force is used to stop the assault on her, the woman will defend her abuser. its not like the movies is it.
Uh, HELLO, this woman was attacked by a STRANGER. Did you even bother to read the article before trying to assess blame on women? The guy intentionally hit her car from behind and when she got out to look at the damage, he grabbed her, threw her in her own car, beat and raped her. But, I guess in your bizarro world, she deserves what she got because she got out of the car, huh?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Wow, only three posts before this turned into a partisan discussion. That's remarkable.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I know that exact location well, it was in front of what was once The Log Cabin Resteraunt. Depending on time of day and the position of the cars it could be that it was completely hidden from view until the second vehicle left. It's not a dangerous area, generally. Not far from the Ocean Spray plant. Middleborough is a small town in Massachussetts, Rt 28 runs right through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies