Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obama is attempting to reanimate a corpse. In this case the corpse is the predatory capitalism that has left its rotting stench on this nation. All of the failures should be fired if the have to come crawling to taxpayers for money to run their so called private companies. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not thinking at all and being spoonfed dung by right wing propaganda machines.
Funny, that you'd use your internet connection and all that supports it to criticize capitalism. Unless, of course, you're in N Korea, eating their spoon fed dung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Make sure you pull down all the bull$h!t benefits and rights the UAW guys get that the average american can only dream of too. Quit sitting here and acting like the UAW has no part in the demise of our auto industry. They play a role just like the top managers and the dealership networks too. Its a bigger issue than just the economy. These guys have all been like leeches, and now they have sucked the system dry. The President should let them go bankrupt, it would probably help the process more in the long run!
"""benefits and rights the UAW guys get that the average american can only dream of too. ""

This is the second time I noticed in this thread where an anti-union poster has indicated that the Union workers had it good..."average American can only dream of"...

Well, they DO have it better than non-Union workers...so you agree with me! Unions help the average worker !

Now, just thnk if more "average Americans" became unionized they'd have it good, too.

Union workers had it better for longer than non-union workers.

Union workers and their many concessions did NOT bring down auto makers.....the MANAGERS, the BOSSES, the CONTROLLERS of the COMPANY were in charge, THEY made the decisions.

Giving the average American worker a decent wage with good retirement benefits is a BAD thing ?????

If the companies can't/couldn't do that...then THEY are failures.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
The wages and benefits had nothing to do with it???

Really?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""benefits and rights the UAW guys get that the average american can only dream of too. ""

This is the second time I noticed in this thread where an anti-union poster has indicated that the Union workers had it good..."average American can only dream of"...

Well, they DO have it better than non-Union workers...so you agree with me! Unions help the average worker !

Now, just thnk if more "average Americans" became unionized they'd have it good, too.

Union workers had it better for longer than non-union workers.

Union workers and their many concessions did NOT bring down auto makers.....the MANAGERS, the BOSSES, the CONTROLLERS of the COMPANY were in charge, THEY made the decisions.

Giving the average American worker a decent wage with good retirement benefits is a BAD thing ?????

If the companies can't/couldn't do that...then THEY are failures.
while I agree that Unions are ultimately a good thing..they can also be a bAD thing..

First off.. the problem with the UAW is not that they get great benefits WHILE they work for GM. It's all those retiree benefits. Couple that with the rising cost of healthcare and insurance and you have a huge problem here.

Why should a company keep paying an employee that no longer works for the company.

Let them have 401K's etc. But to promise health benefits and pensions beyond their employment is insanse.

There were many other problems that caused this problem.. and the above is one (and a big) cause..but not the only.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
[quote=Who?Me?!;8121951

If the companies can't/couldn't do that...then THEY are failures.[/quote]

Paying more to your workers than your competition pays to their's is the bad thing. Over the long-term, it is not substainable.

The US is not the only mfg. of automobiles. Anybody that has purchased a foreign car is just as guilty as management. Management is responsible for their short-sided strategy. The unions are equally to blame - they knew this day was coming.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Funny, that you'd use your internet connection and all that supports it to criticize capitalism. Unless, of course, you're in N Korea, eating their spoon fed dung.
Funny that you have selective reading abilities...I said predatory capitalism. Obviously "Capitalism" the way that it has been practiced here, hasn't worked out too well, now has it?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
while I agree that Unions are ultimately a good thing..they can also be a bAD thing..

First off.. the problem with the UAW is not that they get great benefits WHILE they work for GM. It's all those retiree benefits. Couple that with the rising cost of healthcare and insurance and you have a huge problem here.

(The rise in health care costs is

NOT

the fault of Unions! Check out what execs at Insurance companies make among other things)

Why should a company keep paying an employee that no longer works for the company.

(Because that's what was promised to them, because that's a benefit that companies have, because workers contributed to the fund and should get it back as agreed upon....you don't LIKE the idea of working hard until
you're 65 and then being ABLE retire???)

Let them have 401K's etc. But to promise health benefits and pensions

beyond their employment is insanse.

(but that's OK for the retiring billionaire executives???AND SENATORS and representatives)

There were many other problems that caused this problem.. and the above is one (and a big) cause..but not the only.
No, YOUR fellow Americans making good wages and being able to retire BEFORE they die was NOT a problem....if it is than this country is truly headed for Third World status!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Interesting. A guy who could never ever ever qualify or get a job as the CEO of a company like that somehow thinks he's qualified to tell one to step down.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The wages and benefits had nothing to do with it???

Really?
Why is Ford in a much better shape than GM? Explain.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, YOUR fellow Americans making good wages and being able to retire BEFORE they die was NOT a problem....if it is than this country is truly headed for Third World status!

Think about how ridiculous your statement sounds..

All american's are not UAW members.. and plenty are retiring just find without all the promises that GM has made to them over the years through the union.

I suggest you actually READ about the issue.. study the difference between the foreign automakers operating here in the U.S and the U.S automakers with the UAW promises to retired American Workers and really understand it before you commnent.

I also said that the UAW and all that was not the ONLY problem.. but it is a HUGE problem.. when it costs DOUBLE per worker in a factory vs. a foreign automakers factory worker in the U.S. .you are in for trouble... I'm not an economist.. I've been accused of being a "leftist".. but even I can see how Unions can hurt business when they are allowed to have too much of a stronghold on a business and make outlandish demands that are NOT sustainable in a global economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies