Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,558 times

Advertisements

For those who keep claiming that high income earners are not paying their fair share

Data for calendar year 2003 released in October 2005 by the Internal Revenue Service. The share of total income taxes paid by the top 1% of wage earners rose to 34.27% from 33.71% in 2002. Their income share (not just wages) rose from 16.12% to 16.77%. However, their average tax rate actually dropped from 27.25% down to 24.31%

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/spc.gif (broken link)
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/menu/cy2003.Par.0008.ImageFile.gif (broken link)

*Data covers calendar year 2003, not fiscal year 2003
- and includes all income, not just wages, excluding Social Security
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/spc.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 56,800 times
Interesting. Do you have a break-up of the income levels on this?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
if we want to make things more equal like the democrats always want to, we should be taxing the poor more and the rich less.

this is a good time to repeal the 16th Amendment and go with a flat tax, so it effects each and every citizen, illegal and visitor the same.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Good. Cry me a river.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
I think that last year was the first time in the history of this country* where more than 50% of the population did not pay ANY income taxes. That is seriously troubling to me since it means a majority can keep on voting themselves free stuff from the minority. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

*correction: Since the income tax was passed.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 03-28-2009 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Bawk

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Good. Cry me a river.

your nickname tells me alot, what will you do when there is not anymore people for you to steal money from in the form of taxation?

what will you do when there is no more a way to fund the liberal failure experiment?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
It's about BURDEN people.. NOT dollar amounts..

People paying more in taxes are not sacraficing or having trouble making ends meet with their basic bills. Did they give up vacations to pay that tax bill? Did they give up other luxuries?

The average american family makes $56K a year. Savings has dwindled among the middle income brackets? Why.. because they are treading water to pay for the roof over their head and their other neccesities. They are slowly slipping into the "poor" category.

ONce you hit a certain income level you have expendable income that allows your money to grow and your wealth to grow... and that is awesome. So you can meet your tax obligation, put the food on the table and still have expendable income.

Middle income families are treading water.

Again.. it's NOT about the dollar amount.. it's about the burden.

I don't hear anyone in the top brackets willing to lower their bracket simly because they are paying more in taxes? I would gladly be in the top brackets even if that means I'm paying more money to the government.. because in the end, I'd be living much better than the middle and of course the poor, I'd have expendable income for other investment options, I would also be able to use that expendable income to shelter some of my income.. and again.. I could have money making me money because all of it wouldn't be coming in one hand and going immediately out the other just to get by.

I'm not trying to say what you are saying is not true.. BUT.. I would gladly trade being in the middle tax bracket to being in the upper tax brackets any day. I would be happy to be paying that tax because it would mean I'd have much more than I did when i was barely scraping by at the lower bracket.. do you know what I mean?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think that last year was the first time in the history of this country where more than 50% of the population did not pay ANY income taxes. That is seriously troubling to me since it means a majority can keep on voting themselves free stuff from the minority. That doesn't seem very fair to me.
That's their proof the system works... needing capital to start businesses and make jobs, what's that?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
your nickname tells me alot, what will you do when there is not anymore people for you to steal money from in the form of taxation?

what will you do when there is no more a way to fund the liberal failure experiment?
You're funny. The only people "stealing" anything are the people who pay the most taxes. And most of them pay less tax than I do. They have the loopholes. I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies