Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
it's amazing the Earth hasn't had a warming year since 1999, yet CO2 is still rising. But if you look at Solar activity...
Dr. Syun Akasofu on IPCC’s forecast accuracy « Watts Up With That?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yea, its a tough choice. I know that Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are all scientific experts.

Who you gonna believe, these three or your lying eyes?

Last I heard Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh were not looking for research grants. Follow the money.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,332 times
here's some interesting data on solar cycles. Notice the trend from 2000-2009 so far:
Solar Cycle Progression and Prediction

That wouldn't actually correspond with the lower temperatures we've seen this decade, would it?

here's a nice little graph showing solar cycles the last 150 years. notice the decline and steadying around 40's-70's (remember when we were all going to freeze together) and then the steady increase through the 90's.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well you notice that it's more often referred to as climate change now, instead of global warming. Every time Al The god of hell fire Gore would schedule a (global warming) conference it would get canceled because of snow! Seems as though old mother nature was trying to the big stump sumthin! So Climate Change it is, now no matter what the weather does anywhere in the world in any Season big Als' got the answer. I for one, was really kind of hoping that global warming would kick in, I am damn tired of snow in march and april in western washington!

No doubt. It snowed here in MI a couple days ago.

That's not climate change we can believe in!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
I'm staring at about 5 inches of "global warming" on my back deck right now deciding if I want to shovel this morning or wait for more "global warming" that's forcasted for the rest of the day and week...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm staring at about 5 inches of "global warming" on my back deck right now deciding if I want to shovel this morning or wait for more "global warming" that's forcasted for the rest of the day and week...

Well if you want to take the "stick your head out the window" approach to predicting climate change, for the lower midwest

February Average low +2 degrees from historic average low
Average high +4 degrees from historic average high

March Average low +1.3 degrees from historic average low
Average high +1.6 degrees from historic average high

Rainfall off about 4 inches for both months

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Well if you want to take the "stick your head out the window" approach to predicting climate change, for the lower midwest

February Average low +2 degrees from historic average low
Average high +4 degrees from historic average high

March Average low +1.3 degrees from historic average low
Average high +1.6 degrees from historic average high

Rainfall off about 4 inches for both months
I'm guessing you believe the Al (I invented the internet) Gore tripe?
If so, please explain the ice age...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Last I heard Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh were not looking for research grants. Follow the money.
Following the money leads me to Hannity et al looking for ratings, hence better contracts for themselves.

Following the money for scientists - well, they present their findings and are judged by a peer review. In science, it is ok to dissent - you get money for that too - provided you can back it up. In fact, one would think the industries against global warming would be happy to fund studies that support them.

In science, money comes to you for a study. For Hannity et al, it comes to you via better ratings.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm guessing you believe the Al (I invented the internet) Gore tripe?

I don't care two cents about Al Gore. I consider him an annoying opportunist. I also don't understand the Rightwing extremists homoerotic fixation on him.

Global warming derives from three important indisputable discoveries made in 1824, 1859, and 1888. It was generally accepted but not really considered proven until the development of radar during WWII. It was taught in schools when I was in school (1960's), and when my Dad was in school (1930's).

The only change I have seen in my lifetime is the accelleration of the timeline, in that everything that has been predicted is occurring or has occurred, only decades or Centuries sooner than predicted. I'd attribute that to two things, mainly. One is I think there was a tacit assumption that we'd do what we could about the problems we had caused that were likely to kill us. Global warming was about third on the list at that time (1960's). Second, there were many factors that we hadn't considered, because we didn't know about them. Examples would be that melting glacial or polar ice would float on a layer of water and move to the sea far faster than the "glacial" pace we'd reckoned on, or that the thawing of the permafrost would lead to massive outgassing of methane from organic material previously frozen for thousands of years. Other factors...no one knew the pace with which industrialization would spread throughout the world, which turned out to be quite fast after 1970. No one could have predicted the suspension of enforcement of the anti-pollution laws passed in the 1970's that occurred in 2000. And of course (probably quite foolishly) no one expected a political movement to develop that would attempt to block action and spread the hoax/conspiracy theory disinformation.

I don't know what you mean by this. Please explain

Quote:

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Yep, that's the one. I STRONGLY recommend that everyone in Gore's camp on this issue watch that from beginning to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies