Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am quite sure that, even with the new taxes, the drug addicts cost us more in taxes than they pay. When they get sick and they are laying there with oxygen in their noses throwing up green stuff because if the chemo, we have to pay. So if more of them quit, medicaid, medicare and health insurance expenses should go down by quite a bit.

even if all smokers and drug users gave up their habits, the federal and state goverments would never give up the billions of dollars they are currently raking in from tobacco.

they would raise everyones taxes to cover what was lost.

sort of like the tax on gas, when cars got 10-14 mpg, and people bought lots of gas, they did not need to have alot of tax.

now people have cars getting 20-40 mpg and they were lsing out because they were not getting as much money from gas anymore.

solution? raise the gas tax so they could get as much as they were before.

lose the tobacco tax because people are not using it anymore, and they shall either raise some other tax to make up for what they have lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Our government should not be profitting from cigarette smoking ... Our government should be banning the substance. If the government loses billions as a result of a cigarette ban, then the government should be tightening their budgets like the rest of us do when money is low.
I dout very much the goverment would tighten their budget, they would just raise some other tax to cover what they lost from tobacco.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
even if all smokers and drug users gave up their habits, the federal and state goverments would never give up the billions of dollars they are currently raking in from tobacco.

they would raise everyones taxes to cover what was lost.

sort of like the tax on gas, when cars got 10-14 mpg, and people bought lots of gas, they did not need to have alot of tax.

now people have cars getting 20-40 mpg and they were lsing out because they were not getting as much money from gas anymore.

solution? raise the gas tax so they could get as much as they were before.

lose the tobacco tax because people are not using it anymore, and they shall either raise some other tax to make up for what they have lost.
The government will raise taxes regardless. I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the smokers polluting our air. The habits of smoking benefits NO ONE, not even the smoker and definitely not those who have to breathe in those noxious fumes. Let's ban those butts!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I dout very much the goverment would tighten their budget, they would just raise some other tax to cover what they lost from tobacco.
Tax revenues gained from smoking is not a valid reason to keep those butts legal.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The government will raise taxes regardless. I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the smokers polluting our air. The habits of smoking benefits NO ONE, not even the smoker and definitely not those who have to breathe in those noxious fumes. Let's ban those butts!

I have a better idea, lets ban the goverment.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I have a better idea, lets ban the goverment.
I'm with ya! Or minimize it to it's constitutionally-mandated functions. Let's cut the fluff!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I'm with ya! Or minimize it to it's constitutionally-mandated functions. Let's cut the fluff!

I can live with that.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I agree with all of your posts junky. Living out here in the country, I could not tell you how many times I have to go out near the road of my property and pick up other peoples trash that they just tossed out of their car into my lawn. Btw, I live in MO also. On Y highway near Reeds Spring on Table Rock
Hello there neighbor. I live in the Nixa area and have traveled through your neck of the woods. Beautiful down there. Nice to meet ya!

Old 04-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon
"Smoking causes a lot less damage and the harm befalls the person who chooses to smoke, not innocent children."

Tell that to my friend who battled asthma due to her grandmother's smoking habit.
You do not get asthma from anyone smoking. I realize that you anti-smoking nazis will believe anything but please learn facts before spewing the faux science you do. In fact, there are many people in this who think they have asthma but really don't. They would be some of the same idiots who think they have any number of made up diseases that the government keeps telling them they have. Too many people watching and listening to the drug commercials. I had asthma when I was a child and grew out of it. Both of my parents smoked and still smoke. I smoke and I don't have high blood pressure or any number of other things that you anti-smoking nazis have been told that people will get. I guess that you also believe that if someone takes a hit off a joint then they will be shooting up herion within a week or so. People hurt their asthma from air pollution more than anyone smoking. Get some facts before you spew your lies here where some of us actually know the facts.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 04-04-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Let's compare it to driving, then. Exhaust fumes are far more dangerous than cigarette smoke. When you start your car, you're affecting everyone around you. If you don't keep your car in perfect mechanical condition, you're allowing it to generate even more toxic output.

Let me know when you're going to call for a ban on automobiles.
OMG!!! You are trying to discuss actual true facts. They don't like facts and real science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies