Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Let's stick it to the smokers.

Let's not - and say we did!

That way, we would be guilty of a lesser falsity.

Should 13 year old girls wear falsies if they are lesser?

I'm sorry, sometimes I just can't stop. I keep suffering from thread bleed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
For the smokers here who are defending their habit by saying smoking is "legal"...... Hah! Barely. It's illegal to smoke in most indoor public areas, and new anti-smoking legislation passes on a regular basis. Why, in Del Mar, CA, it's illegal to smoke on public beaches.

It's only a matter of time before smoking is only legal in your home and car.

For the smokers here who say cigarettes aren't "drugs" and smoking isn't an addiction, think again. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man.

For the smokers here who say that non-smokers should shut up, I say we will shut up when you stop lighting up around us. Smoking is the only drug out there that can pervade innocent bystander's bodies. Crack can't do that. Alcohol can't do that. Heroin can't do that. Speed can't do that. Etc. etc. The fact is, if you smoke in my presence, then I'm forced to breathe in YOUR DRUG. And that pisses me off.

So watch out smokers. The day WILL come when you will be banned of your "right" to smoke in ALL public areas. And until that time, we non-smokers will continue to be as in your face about your nasty addiction as your cigarette smoke is in our faces.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
That's just a lie.

In the studies you have actually responded to (only half), your main qualm was the way in which the statisticians accounted for differences among the participants.

NO study of any health-related outcomes would be valid or repeatable without doing so. You can't call it a representative sample of the population if everyone being studied had the same background and lifestyle. At the same time, you can't compare the results of various studies by different people/organizations if the experimental groups are too varied from each other. So, in order to show that the outcomes are not only internally valid, but externally consistent, you HAVE to show statistically that it is due to the variable being studied, and not due to confounding variables.

Go back to your elementary statistics textbook.

They only find what "could" be. Not what is. Seriously, this type of mathematical application is not used as a definitive, especially when it concerns limiting individual rights.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I really think this is a thread that should just die already.

It's obvious that smokers have no viable argument for their nasty, obnoxious addiction, and their desperate rationalizaions and denials are not only predictable, but boring.

Let's face it fellow non-smokers, if there's anything to be learned from this thread, it's that smokers will fiercely defend their addiction, and there's no amount of logic and common sense that will sway them.
Well you see that's it.You are free to call me nasty,obnoxious and a addict,but you cross the line when you try to legislate my lifestyle based on your sense of morality.And the reason smokers got taxed for healthcare is because it was easy to do because we have been villianized.

What about skydivers,scuba divers,motorcyclists,snow skiers,hot are balloonists,off road bicyclists and so on?They take risk not needed,they live in danger by choice.They also are more of a risk for health costs.Why not have a special tax on them?

And this tax,your nannying,has nothing to do with second hand smoke,almost all public amoking is outlawed.But that wasn't good enough,now you all are taking a morality superiority complex to decide that just because you don't like it you should force others to change their lifestyle.

Do that with gays or immigrants or whatever and you are branded a bigot yet you all get a free pass to come down on smokers?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
we non-smokers will continue to be as in your face about your nasty addiction as your cigarette smoke is in our faces.
You all will be in our face (till someone shoves you out of their face) even after it is only legal to smoke in private.Why?Because it is a morality superiority power trip with you all,and when you are finally done jailing smokers you'll move on to some other thing you don't like and start attacking them.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,707 times
Like other drugs, smoking is an addiction. My husband started at 18 when he was in the army because everyone was doing and cigs were cheap. He died of lung cancer in Jan. leaving 12 nad 9 year children. The sad part is as he was dying he was craving cigs even though he hadn't had one in over a year.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You all will be in our face (till someone shoves you out of their face) even after it is only legal to smoke in private.Why?Because it is a morality superiority power trip with you all,and when you are finally done jailing smokers you'll move on to some other thing you don't like and start attacking them.
They feed off majority as their weapon. People who rile the mobs up for their own will and use government as a thug to do their bidding. Problem is, when the systems fail, they are hiding like cowards or sucking up to you saying they didn't mean it.

The Federalist #10

Quote:
Hence it is that such democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.
I can only hope that those who push for the restrictions of freedoms are there to reap the rewards of their oppressive behavior. They really are spoiled little brats and have no clue with what they are toying with. Oh well, it goes as the saying "You can't fix stupid", but you can sure as heck put it out of its misery.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I AM a real addict, with 23 years under my belt being clean and sober from a cross-addiction to alcohol and drugs.
You've stated this many times in this thread. And you still fail to understand that someone with an illegal drug problem is not considered to be an addict by most people. They're considered to be junkies whom can't be trusted under any circumstance whatsover.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I really think this is a thread that should just die already.

It's obvious that smokers have no viable argument for their nasty, obnoxious addiction, and their desperate rationalizaions and denials are not only predictable, but boring.

Let's face it fellow non-smokers, if there's anything to be learned from this thread, it's that smokers will fiercely defend their addiction, and there's no amount of logic and common sense that will sway them.
Too true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Beg to differ. My drug is legal, and I don't have to steal or prostitute myself to get it. Comparing me to a crackhead is likely to get you into more trouble than you want to be in.
Just because the drug is legal, you are no less addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I thinks that this needs reposting because most of us are just damn tired of the nanny state that many of you seem to want.

THOSE BORN 1920-1979
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!
Snipped for brevity. Anyone who mocks research and improvement in maternal-child health is not folowing evidence-based medicine, and does not understand what research is!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You've stated this many times in this thread. And you still fail to understand that someone with an illegal drug problem is not considered to be an addict by most people. They're considered to be junkies whom can't be trusted under any circumstance whatsover.

An addict is an addict, whether they are addicted to something legal or illegal. I've been to NA meetings with a friend, and no one in there differentiates.

I'm sure the people who are addicted to legal painkillers are totally trustworthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies