Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM

686 posts, read 1,697,901 times

Advertisements

742,000 jobs lost in march 2009, it just seems to keep rising every month.
Economist's have said even if the recession were to end this year we'll still hit 10% unemployment, personally I think we'll top out at 12%.

How many jobs do you think we"ll lose in april?

Last edited by Bo; 04-03-2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 11,074,474 times
More than 750,000.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM

686 posts, read 1,697,901 times
It's kind of weird that the stock market is having a rally with alll this bad news, whats driving thr rally?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM

6,566 posts, read 6,729,022 times
You will never see housing prices find a bottom as long as we are losing a million and a half jobs every 2 months. I expect at least 11% out of work by next year.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,297,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Economist's have said even if the recession were to end this year we'll still hit 10% unemployment, personally I think we'll top out at 12%.

Much more than 750.000
It is just the begin of the end, a litle piece of the iceberg.
It is the end of american dream
It is the end of land of hope
It is the end of american-way-of-life
After there is no knowing what will happen.
Just the same, I hope things change some day.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,370,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post

Not sure, but one thing is clear. The H-1B visa program needs to be severely cutailed. Why are these companies still hiring cheap labor from India and displacing American workers? It's absolutely ridiculous!

Living here in the bay area, I've seen so much of this, and I'm sick of it. Companies are claiming they can't find enough "qualified" American workers, so they load up on the cheaper labor through the visa program. These indians come here, are determined to maintain their culture and practice separatist behavior, while qualified Americans are kicked to the curb. By most accounts, this cheap labor does not make for a higher quality product. Something needs to be done about this.

Kick out 90% of those on visas, and force these companies to hire American workers. I see no need for this program, especially now the way conditions are.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 11,074,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Not sure, but one thing is clear. The H-1B visa program needs to be severely cutailed. Why are these companies still hiring cheap labor from India and displacing American workers? It's absolutely ridiculous!

Living here in the bay area, I've seen so much of this, and I'm sick of it. Companies are claiming they can't find enough "qualified" American workers, so they load up on the cheaper labor through the visa program. These indians come here, are determined to maintain their culture and practice separatist behavior, while qualified Americans are kicked to the curb. By most accounts, this cheap labor does not make for a higher quality product. Something needs to be done about this.

Kick out 90% of those on visas, and force these companies to hire American workers. I see no need for this program, especially now the way conditions are.
If someone has a Visa to work in this country then they are here legally and cannot be "tossed out" unless they violate the terms of the Visa.

You can fault the educational system for the lack of skilled and/or qualified workers in this country. Instead of teaching kids the skills they need to get these jobs instead they are being taught a curriculum with politically correct junk that lacks the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. I have a friend that teaches at a college in New Hampshire and he can only shake his head at what is happening in his school in regards to this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies