Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
By the way those that share your opinion is the good reason this passed. It'll give you something to do...put your money where your mouth is, that is. When you receive your notice to serve....remember me. Age holds no boundaries...all will put their time in, in community service.

Minneapolis Conservative Examiner: The secrets behind the GIVE Act passed by Congress, why it's scary

more links:
CLOSE TO HOME: How can volunteerism in America be 'mandatory'? |
PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

Congress expands AmeriCorps volunteer program - Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/a-1935837%7ECongress_expands_AmeriCorps_volunteer_pr ogram.html - broken link)

DC Special Interests Examiner: Former Reagan/Bush consultant equates teachers unions with Hitler Youth leaders

and here is a blog on the topic:
E3 Gazette: H.R. 1444 - They're not even trying now...

hey idahogie, do you still think it is just a study? Or did you even bother to read. It is wonderful that you don't consider this a bad thing you know because it is, just a study.

It passed! I didn't know it had actually passed...
Yes. It's just a study. And anybody who thinks otherwise is a tinfoil hat crackpot who should be mocked by all right-thinking people.

Do you conservatives see what's happening to your end of the spectrum? You have Hannity and Beck talking about FEMA camps, you're all talking about massive conspiracies from birth certificates to national service, and you're also going on and on about the most meaningless crap imaginable (teleprompters, touching queens, sleeveless dresses). You are marginalizing your end of the spectrum - and that's why you're losing elections.

Stop killing your ideology with this infantile nonesense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Default CLOSE TO HOME: How can volunteerism in America be 'mandatory'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Yes. It's just a study. And anybody who thinks otherwise is a tinfoil hat crackpot who should be mocked by all right-thinking people.

Do you conservatives see what's happening to your end of the spectrum? You have Hannity and Beck talking about FEMA camps, you're all talking about massive conspiracies from birth certificates to national service, and you're also going on and on about the most meaningless crap imaginable (teleprompters, touching queens, sleeveless dresses). You are marginalizing your end of the spectrum - and that's why you're losing elections.

Stop killing your ideology with this infantile nonesense.
One, I'm a democrat. Two I only sent you the words from those who are following the interests of the government. If you say it is a study, then it can't be anything else. Gee, why didn't you write all of those articles, your view would have cleared up allot of rumors.

PressDemocrat.com they don't think it is a study.
Quote:
It is one thing for schools to require community service, as many do now, since students have the option to attend another school or to home school. However, if enacted on a national level, such "mandatory service" is no longer voluntary, but in fact would be either conscription or involuntary servitude.
Service which is not freely given from the heart is no longer service but an imposition by an exterior force -- in this case, our government.
CLOSE TO HOME: How can volunteerism in America be 'mandatory'? | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

The bill sits in the Senate House as it did pass through the House of Representatives. I'd give you the Senate bill number, but I think I'll just let you find it/out all on your own. Hint: it is included in one of the articles that I linked you to in my previous post.

You did read the articles of the bill above and all of the bill's provisions?

By the way I have heard Hannity a couple of times. He has a problem understanding that most of what Obama is doing is the follow up from the Bush Administration. I'm thinking you got that. Or maybe not...

And Beck, he has some personal experience stories I enjoy hearing about, but again not often is he on my radio. I like to listen to Jack FM, "playing what they want". It's awesome.

As for as FEMA I heard on the news there was a call center in Ft. Worth, that the workers did not receive their pay. I also use to work as a contractor and a friend of mine got stiffed on a FEMA contract.

However, I don't listen to Hannity or Beck often enough to be a review critique. I prefer Paul Harvey...good day.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

In all seriousness, though, could you point me to the exact legislation, not a twisted version of it from some right wingnut mouthpiece? Then we will discuss it right here.
Here is FactCheck.org's take on it. They also link to the actual bills so you can read and decide for yourself. FactCheck.org: Obama and 'Infanticide'
Like all things where politicians try to cover their asses there is going to be a little wiggle room but it seems pretty clear that Obama didn't have any problem with letting infants born alive die. It's shocking to me but maybe people with different views can rationalize a reason for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies