Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The Phrase "Faux News" Be Banned From This Site?
Yes 42 28.97%
No 100 68.97%
Don't know/undecided 3 2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've must have seen the tired, old and worn-out phrase "Faux News" on this board a hundred times.

So, vote here, should use of that word be banned on this site or should it be allowed, along with MS"LSD" and ClintonNewsNetwork?
I couldn't care less if they use it or not...actually if they use that phrase I already know what kind of people they are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
The only FAUX is in the WH right now.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 AM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Best post on this thread ^.
I am a very conservative in some ways and a bit liberal in other ways and I watch all the news stations. I generally vote republican but no freaking news station is going to influence my vote in any way.
Name calling is a very good way to cause folks to turn the name caller off.
Exactly; I think very few people are swayed strongly in one direction or another by news networks. The truth is that most people watch the network that reflects their views; conservatives will tend to watch Fox more while liberals are more likely to watch MSNBC. The network one watches doesn't determine their ideology, their ideology determines the network they watch. There are, of course, exceptions (moderates may be more open to being swayed) but I think that this is generally the rule.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The only FAUX is in the WH right now.
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. This immaturity makes it so people just won't take you or your arguments seriously; if you can't provide smart, substantive analysis and must resort to ad hominem insults that lack any sound reasoning then... well, you aren't going to convince anyone, that's for sure.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
I am a left-wing Social Democrat who believes that Fox News is an awful, partisan network that regularly misconstrues the news for political ends. That being said, I would be happy to see the phrase 'Faux News' banned, along with phrases like 'Obamabots' and all the rest. Such name calling is extremely immature; it amounts to ad hominem attacks which take away from serious, substantive debate and degrade the civility of honest debate. Those who regularly use such phrases need to grow up and realize that when you use such terminology you only undermine your own arguments by making yourself look juvenile. We may disagree, we may disagree vehemently, but lets do so in a respectful manner; stay civil people!

Excellent post. Although I don't agree about banning any speech on this forum (except truly vulgar profanity and vile, personal attacks) I gave you Rep points for it--and I rarely give rep points to left-wingers. Consider that the highest of compliments.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. This immaturity makes it so people just won't take you or your arguments seriously; if you can't provide smart, substantive analysis and must resort to ad hominem insults that lack any sound reasoning then... well, you aren't going to convince anyone, that's for sure.

Reasoning, there is plenty of reason to be unhappy with the man in the WH. If you cannot see what he is doing then you have some major issues going on.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Excellent post. Although I don't agree about banning any speech on this forum (except truly vulgar profanity and vile, personal attacks) I gave you Rep points for it--and I rarely give rep points to left-wingers. Consider that the highest of compliments.
Why thank you! I enjoy debating, but I strongly believe that debating should be civil and should, therefore, avoid juvenile name-calling. Petty insults take away from substantive conversations, it only serves to anger people and take attention away from the actual issues of interest. Perhaps its because I'm an academic, but I simply don't have respect or time for people who can't formulate their thoughts in a relatively polite and intelligent manner. I cringe every time I see someone write something like 'Faux News' and I usually pretty much write them off as someone who is deflecting from the actual debate because they don't know enough about it. I can understand it to a degree if the person doing it is a kid, as I'm sure some posters here are, but its particularly infuriating when adults resort to such tactics.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Reasoning, there is plenty of reason to be unhappy with the man in the WH. If you cannot see what he is doing then you have some major issues going on.
And here we go again; have you not read my other responses to this thread? You may disagree with the way our President is running the country, you likely have legitimate concerns. So, instead of resorting to ad hominem, childish insults why don't you actually articulate your views in a mature manner. Name-calling is for high school students; if you want to have an actual political discussion you need to show some civility and respect if you want to be taken seriously. Thus far you have referred to the president as 'faux' and you have insulted me, yet in doing so you have utterly failed to provide any substantive discussion whatsoever! It's impossible to debate with someone like that; if you can't have a logical, reasonable discussion then its not worth discussing anything with you at all. I know plenty of conservatives who I strongly disagree with, yet consider friends and enjoy discussing politics with because they, and I, are capable of doing so without resorting to childish insults. The world is too complex, our problems too serious, to be so simplistic as to think petty insults like 'faux' and 'you have some major issues' are legitimate comments for debate.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've must have seen the tired, old and worn-out phrase "Faux News" on this board a hundred times.

So, vote here, should use of that word be banned on this site or should it be allowed, along with MS"LSD" and ClintonNewsNetwork?
I like the phrase.

Shows how desparate they are and right now their eyes are bugging out four inches.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No more than Obamination, Obots, etc. should be banned.
Have a problem with free speech these days?

Might want to look up the word faux, it fits (even if it is French).
The funny thing is, I hear the left often say faux, pronouning the X so it sounds similar. Do they realize that it makes them look even more irrational and stupid?

The X is silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies