Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

This is a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Johnny Rotten says it best (God Save the Queen):

God Save the Queen
The facist regime
They made you a moron
potential H bomb.
I saw a made for TV movie--'The Queen', featuring the ever popular drama of the death of Princess Diana. I have heard more than I never needed/wanted to know about the Royal Family from the media. I have exchanged posts with 'ordinary citizens' and learned that they live their lives, cope with their system of government and societal issues. I've gotten several good recipes from posters in the UK.

At least MO's clothing hasn't been mentioned. Yippeee!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM

76 posts, read 162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Yep , apparently HM was the initiator of the physical contact and Michelle responded warmly.

I wonder if Michelle was offended ,felt soiled or sexually harassed in any way as it was after all a unsolicited physical touch... Will the newspapers ( and posters) be screaming hysterically about the Queen being offensive ? I think not.

As for curtseying, I thought this was the 21st century not some dark ages where subservience and respect were considered to be synonyms. How archaic a system in which etiquette and decorum dictates a person should curtsey to another. In some Nations where bowing is a mark of respect to all I would accept that as it is just a cultural difference.

In a Nation like the UK where there is no such tradition apart except to the Monarch then I really don't see the point. Not all traditions are good or worth following. Some only perpetuate a "them and us" system of governance, injustice , unfairness and inequality.

Nobody should have to bow or curtsey to ANYONE. EVER. Curtseying is yet again another way the "plebs" are made to debase themselves and confirm their inferior social status. In my world that is unacceptable.

Britain claims to be a modern Democracy so time we acted like one. Bowing and scraping should be relegated to mock Tudor banquets and Hollywood films.

The Queen is a human being like all of us. No better , no worse. She deserves the same respect and courtesy we would extend to anyone. We should treat her as we would any 80 year old Lady.

And if anyone finds that offensive then we definitely have a long way to go to achieve social justice and equality in this world.

Americans should be very proud of their first couple. But some find that bitter pill hard to swallow. After 8 years of some Texan idiot whose ramblings and belllicose policies sent the world into a dangerous spin, I can see how a breath of fresh air, intelligence, wit and education could be threatening.

According to the media, yeah it appears as such. But... the media has such an annoying habit of creating a stir to bait the viewing public, then coming out a little bit at a time, then finally with the rest of the story. There is more misinformation than fact.

Maybe then it is a good thing. HM has mellowed in her ripe old age. Elderly people do soften over time. Over this thread, some of us got stirred up, & today we wake up scratch our heads & wonder what the fuss was about anyway? besides some off topic spins? If the UK loves the Pres & 1st Lady, that's probably a good thing.

On the order of physical touch, whether Royalty or not, I for one do NOT like intrusion into my personal physical space from someone I am unfamiliar with & I respect the same of others. Unless invited, one doesn't know how others may react. You can call it Protocol or just plain good manners, reading body language need be a deciding factor.

Objectively, I see little if any wit in this president, & while educated,
BO doesn't impress me yet that he has a lot of intel. Sorry, he just made it to April. He could get better over time, but I'm not holding my breath.

You can bash the Bush's all you want, but if you really want to send them a message, return any tax stimulus checks you received last year from that administration. Idiot Texan eh...? that sounds like a bigoted slam on the people of Texas. I for one enjoyed paying less in taxes. Under this new administration, over time we'll pay more, & then there is the sunset clause in 2011 on inheritance, now parents who want to leave a legacy get taxed to the grave. Social Justice & Equality you say, but at what cost? We're so evolved yet why haven't we achieved it? Certainly not with remarks like Texan Idiot.

Cheers.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted_Son View Post
According to the media, yeah it appears as such. But... the media has such an annoying habit of creating a stir to bait the viewing public, then coming out a little bit at a time, then finally with the rest of the story. There is more misinformation than fact.

Maybe then it is a good thing. HM has mellowed in her ripe old age. Elderly people do soften over time. Over this thread, some of us got stirred up, & today we wake up scratch our heads & wonder what the fuss was about anyway? besides some off topic spins? If the UK loves the Pres & 1st Lady, that's probably a good thing.

On the order of physical touch, whether Royalty or not, I for one do NOT like intrusion into my personal physical space from someone I am unfamiliar with & I respect the same of others. Unless invited, one doesn't know how others may react. You can call it Protocol or just plain good manners, reading body language need be a deciding factor.

Objectively, I see little if any wit in this president, & while educated,
BO doesn't impress me yet that he has a lot of intel. Sorry, he just made it to April. He could get better over time, but I'm not holding my breath.

You can bash the Bush's all you want, but if you really want to send them a message, return any tax stimulus checks you received last year from that administration. Idiot Texan eh...? that sounds like a bigoted slam on the people of Texas. I for one enjoyed paying less in taxes. Under this new administration, over time we'll pay more, & then there is the sunset clause in 2011 on inheritance, now parents who want to leave a legacy get taxed to the grave. Social Justice & Equality you say, but at what cost? We're so evolved yet why haven't we achieved it? Certainly not with remarks like Texan Idiot.

Cheers.

I stand by my comment. I never saw anything in Bush but an ill educated and rather stupid man whose bellicose and environmentally destructive policies have made our world a far worse place to live and more dangerous. I would have found him just as stupid, ignorant and repellent had he been a Democrat.

I was not however tarring all Texans with the same Brush , referring to him as Texan was a locality based adjective rather than a negative slant towards all Texan residents. Bush always seemed eager to point out his love of Texas, I am sure the adjective Texan can be used as a factual indicator rather than an insult ?

If memory serves , Bush though born in New Haven spent most of his formative years in Texas as well as having his primary residence there ? Does he not ?

Actually I rather like Texas and most Texans I met were very nice and charming people.

Being A European I'm afraid I view taxes slightly differently than many Americans so I can't agree with you on the taxation issue either.

I can't say whther Obama will be a great President yet, as I do not have the gift of foresight ( 2 months in office is hardly good enough to form a lasting and solid impression) but I am certainly very impressed with him so far. And I have found him far more witty, sharp and quick than just about any other living Politicians I can think of so far ( Mc Cain was also quite sharp I thought). He has a true gift of oratory too which is something unusually rare these days. He can string two sentences together, use big words and one get the feeling he can even think ... Gifts I would not attribute to Dubya.

Bush was a highly entertaining Politician to watch because of his shall we say ... intellectual deficit and a boon for satirists , I don't think I am the only person in the world to have called him a Texan Idiot before.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I to mine. Let's agree to disagree.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted_Son View Post
Under this new administration, over time we'll pay more
How are we going to pay for the debt that George Bush left w/o taxation and cutting serices? He wasn't a conservative.. spend spend spend..

Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
I love how you all are all of a sudden outraged for the Queen.

Even more, I love how you assume that the Queen cares or that everyday English really even care about he Queen all that much.

Morever, I love how you don't notice that the gesture was returned, therefore the feeling seems pretty mutual.

I also love how you miss the big gift Obama gave her to complain about the ipod.

Never a dull day when there are so many dull minds, huh?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_poster View Post
Didn't anyone at the White House tell Michelle Obama that you are not suppose to touch the Queen of England unless it is a formal handshake? She had the nerve to put her arm around her. What do you make of this?

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!

Deport her. Oh wait, she's an American Citizen. deport her husband...oh shoot, same thing.

Never mind.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_poster View Post
Didn't anyone at the White House tell Michelle Obama that you are not suppose to touch the Queen of England unless it is a formal handshake? She had the nerve to put her arm around her. What do you make of this?
I couldn't care less.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 PM

439 posts, read 616,992 times
Michele Obama was thinking she was putting her arm around her maid back home.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Michele Obama was thinking she was putting her arm around her maid back home.
Uh...okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies