Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Obviously, Afghanistan is making a move to attract more GOP types to their hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Are you saying that it's okay to invade a country and kill its citizens, but only if for their resources.
Nope, not even close. Predictable stretch, however.

Quote:
Nice guy.
Somehow I don't believe you when you say that.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Default New Afghan law worse for women than under Taliban rule

Hamid Karzai, the darling and puppet of the U.S. during the bush administration has been accused of trying to win votes from the 10% radical religious Shia population in the next presidential election. Karzai has become increasingly unpopular in Afghanistan, and has been referred to as the "Mayor of Kabul" because he has limited authority outside capitol city. According to the United Nations he signed a law that legalizes rape within marriage and bans wives from leaving home without their husbands' permission. Some are saying this law is more restrictive against women than when the Taliban was in power. I hope Jay and Mavis Leno are going to raise awareness on this.
Clip:
...the law is believed to contain articles that rule women cannot leave the house without their husbands' permission, that they can only seek work, education or visit the doctor with their husbands' permission, and that they cannot refuse their husband sex.
'Worse than the Taliban' - new law rolls back rights for Afghan women | World news | The Guardian

Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
I wonder when some moron will try to pass a law like that here?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I wonder when some moron will try to pass a law like that here?
I'm sure some of the fundies wouldn't mind adopting some restrictive rules against women here in the U.S. One of the reasons Jimmy Carter renounced the Southern Baptist Conference was that they issued a statement that women should be "submissive to their husbands".

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Why are they so scared of women at all?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Yes - the fundies are all over the place - today was a good day for them.
Women Erased in Israel, Flogged in Pakistan and Restricted in Afghanistan - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

Thankfully, the Pakistani incident has drawn some criticism with Pakistan.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5277505.story

Last edited by calmdude; 04-03-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
So where's their women's movement ? If they don't like the laws they should act to change them.
Women in the US did and suceeded.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So where's their women's movement ? If they don't like the laws they should act to change them.
Women in the US did and suceeded.
True. In most muslim countries, men seem to have the power. The only way out of it would be a strong women's movement but till the time women there have any economic independence, things will continue to look bad for them. Right now many are not even allowed to drive. It is especially the muslims in the west that can and need to demonstrate against this.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
-- all I can say is two things.
The first - fundementalists tend to treat their women shabbily if not horribly. It doesn't matter if they are fundementalist muslims or christians, the women end up having little worth beyond their vaginas.

Quite a generalization, wouldn't you say? Christian "fundamentalists" — I would argue there is no such thing as a Christian "fundamentalist"; one is either a Christian, or is not — treat their women "shabbily"?

How do you know how Christian's treat their wives? Example please.

What makes you think that we (Christian men) believe that women have no value "beyond their vagina" as you put it? I have found that many men outside of Christianity (i.e., non-believers) appear to have this attitude (at times). I have not seen this in Christian men I know, who treat their wives with respect, and I don't think you can make your case.

Any man who would treat his wife badly on a regular basis (but, please read my next comment), I would argue is not Christian.

All men, I'm speaking generally here, being basically clumsy, stubborn, and sometimes stupid, behave badly at times, and have treated our wives badly. That's human nature. We aren't perfect. Neither are women. This is because we are sinners from birth (you non-believers will not understand that). But Christ makes us aware of our weaknesses, and our failures, and helps us to overcome them.
Quote:
Ephesians 5:25-27, NIV

25 "Husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
That is how Christian me are to treat their wives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And secondly, I pity your wife that you would think marital rape no big deal.
I didn't even allude to any such thing (why is it that "liberals" seem not to be able to read?) I do not believe that the article was even speaking of "rape", which is a violent act. The article was speaking of sexual relations between a husband and wife in a particular Muslim sect. The headline called it "rape". Clearly sensationalism. I did not see any reference to violence or "rape" in the story. It was purely the writers view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies