Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
We are in desperate need of controls on gun ownership.

There should be strict controls on the types of weapons that can be bought... any automatic weapon should be declared unlawful as a first step.
There are already strict laws on automatic weapons. I don't believe he used an automatic such as a machine gun. He probably used a semi-automatic gun which is like just about every rifle or shotgun produced nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are already strict laws on automatic weapons. I don't believe he used an automatic such as a machine gun. He probably used a semi-automatic gun which is like just about every rifle or shotgun produced nowadays.
Five kids found dead after dad's suicide - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the Pierce County Sheriff, called it a domestic violence situation and a murder-suicide.

"We believe they all died of gunshot wounds," Troyer said

3rd of the weekend

"Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said".

Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
The firrst thing I do Monday morning is call the NRA and tell them they SU_K. Next I am getting on the horn with Patty Murray my Senator. I would suggest like minded people do the same.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
="Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said".
Assault rifle is a generic term the media uses to describe just about every rifle. It is a semi-automatic rifle just like the one I use for hunting.

Out of the 100 rounds fired I wonder how many were actually fired by the bad guy.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 PM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
Quote:
More paranoia..How many times has any of the above happened to you and what would a gun do to stop a suprise attack. Nothing..Ask the families of those officers in Pittsburgh.
I have the pleasure of not having any of the above happen to me, but I do know people who have experienced them. In the case of a total surprise shoot first attack a personal weapon would not be of much good.

However, I don't consider being prepared for eventualities as exhibiting paranoia. I do consider being afraid that anyone other than Law Enforcement being armed is a sign of paranoia.

You have stated that no one wants to take citizen's guns. Maybe you should read up on what the current Speaker of the House and Attorney General have said.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Assault rifle is a generic term the media uses to describe just about every rifle. It is a semi-automatic rifle just like the one I use for hunting.

Out of the 100 rounds fired I wonder how many were actually fired by the bad guy.
We know he fired at least 3 too many. You're assuming it wasn't an automatic. Anyway, why does it matter how many shots that bad guy fired. I guess the police are at fault. Oh yeah, they were taking the bad guys right to own, possess, use and kill 3 humans with those guns. How pathetic.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I have the pleasure of not having any of the above happen to me, but I do know people who have experienced them. In the case of a total surprise shoot first attack a personal weapon would not be of much good.

However, I don't consider being prepared for eventualities as exhibiting paranoia. I do consider being afraid that anyone other than Law Enforcement being armed is a sign of paranoia.

You have stated that no one wants to take citizen's guns. Maybe you should read up on what the current Speaker of the House and Attorney General have said.
Calling the above "eventualities" are signs of extreme paranoia. 99% of people will never experience anything you listed.

You can post what they said and I'd be happy to read it. I've never heard them say and know the President doesn't advocate taking anything away from the sane.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
We know he fired at least 3 too many. You're assuming it wasn't an automatic. Anyway, why does it matter how many shots that bad guy fired. I guess the police are at fault. Oh yeah, they were taking the bad guys right to own, possess, use and kill 3 humans with those guns. How pathetic.
So whose fault is it? The manufacturer of the gun? All the folks who own guns and never commit crimes? Society?
How about it is the individuals fault? Hemade a choice and acted upon it.
How many people died this week in auto accidents? How many died because someone decided to drive to fast? How many died because some drank to much and then drove a car?
By the posts I read thelogic would dictate that:
1. WE make sure no car can go faster than a crawl.
2. All alcohol should be banned.
3. Citizens should not be allowed to own cars because cars kill many thousands each year.
Now what I think is that we should hold any and all individuals accountable for the laws they break. Not the law abiding folks.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Calling the above "eventualities" are signs of extreme paranoia. 99% of people will never experience anything you listed. .
There again Tank, I find it hard to believe that your are really a LEO. You wouldn't make a stupid comment like the 99% above comment. I suspect in a lifetime someone is at least 50% chance of something bad happening to them, a family member or very close friend.

I had a very close friend whose 9 yo daughter was savagely murdered by a very bad man who was later executed bythe state. That was close enough to me so that it struck home.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
News, Yet Another Gun-Toter Freak-Out, this time in Binghamton

And just think....all it would have taken is one gun toting NON FREAK to put him out of his misery.....and gun run on unarmed society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies