Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times

Advertisements

ao I guess you oppose smoking bans in places to eat right? no one is making a non smoker eat there, so if they don't like it, eat somewhere else! I'm not even a smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Smokers have the choice to smoke. If a smoker doesn't want to pay the increased tobacco taxes, then quit smoking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lol... just because you wish it was.
No... I looked at the statements they selected for both sides of the fence, and they very obviously cherry picked the statements that would make Obama & the Democrats look very good, and the Republicans look very bad.

I have no interest in "wishing" anything. Both of the two major parties lie, and lie like crazy. There is no honest politician, but those meters make the Democrats appear to be almost saintly. Sorry, but the bias is crystal clear. If you don't see it, it's only because you don't want to.

Quote:
You'll try to tie anything together. The tax increase is on smokers not middle class genius.
Who do you think smokes the most? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up (since you wouldn't bother anyway) - it's the lower & middle classes.

Quote:
conservatives complaining about defecits is nothing more than hipocracy.
But is it hypocrisy?

I'll take a 400B deficit over a - what's it up to now? 10T? - deficit any day.

Quote:
Roflmao thats your argument. Give me a break.. a sin tax equated as raising taxes on the middle class?
Taxes are taxes. And when the tax is selectively imposed on a particular group of people based on a specific behavior, you can absolutely make the argument that the group was targeted for the tax increase.

Do you think Obama & the Dems who wrote the law didn't have access to the data that establishes the middle & lower classes as the classes with the highest rate of smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Smokers have the choice to smoke. If a smoker doesn't want to pay the increased tobacco taxes, then quit smoking!
Can't wait until they come after your Internet connection. Because after all, if you don't want to pay the tax, you can quit using the Internet, right?

The two largest tax increases in US history are part of the tobacco tax hikes in the SCHIP legislation. The tax went up on little cigars by 2,653%, and the tax on loose tobacco went up 2,159%. I make my own cigarettes, so the loose tobacco tax increase affects me directly. A bag that cost me less than $10 last week will cost me $35 today, and that $25 difference is Obama's SCHIP tax.

Are you getting it? The price has more than tripled, and it's all tax. Look me in the eye and, with a straight face, tell me that you honestly believe that's fair and reasonable.

Since we're on the subject of "no new taxes", let's talk a bit about Obama's carbon credit scam er I mean "program". If passed, you can expect to see your energy costs double or even triple. If and when that happens, I don't want to see you in here complaining about it - because you can always just stop using energy, right? I also don't want to see you blaming the energy producers for the price hikes - it won't be their fault.

No, if and when that happens, I want to see you in here cheerleading the stealth tax as the "change" you "hoped" for...

The person slated to head up the commodity exchange where these credits will be traded - the Chicago Climate Exchange - is Richard Sandor. Care to make a guess as to who one of his hometown buddies is?

The carbon trading scam - if implemented - will be the biggest and costliest scam ever pulled off on the American people. There are people poised to become VERY, VERY rich because of it, and guess what - you're not one of them. Want to guess where their riches will come from, though?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I too am very fearful of the "Liberals in a Candy Store Syndrome". Unabated spending coupled with yellow-bellied cowards running the show makes for a scary four years. One can only hope that the 2010 elections balance the power out in Congress and puts a stop to the madness.
In 2000 and 2004 a lot of us were afraid 4 years of all republican all the time were going to get us killed by making the rest of the world want to go to war with us.

Perhaps its not going to be quite as bad as you think. Heck, maybe the rest of the world won't hate us after a few years, and maybe, just maybe another major city won't be left in ruin 3 years after being laid to waste by natural disaster.

We had to sit through republican fun time while being called unpatriotic so now its the conservatives turn.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No... I looked at the statements they selected for both sides of the fence, and they very obviously cherry picked the statements that would make Obama & the Democrats look very good, and the Republicans look very bad.?
No you didn't you think that your word has any validity, but it doesn't. Anyone that is not blind right wing as yourself can see that its nonpartisan, and that's who it's meant for.

Quote:
I have no interest in "wishing" anything. Both of the two major parties lie, and lie like crazy. There is no honest politician, but those meters make the Democrats appear to be almost saintly. Sorry, but the bias is crystal clear. If you don't se
e it, it's only because you don't want to.?
Yet your always first in line to go after the left and defend the right?
Face it you're no where near unbiased and everyone here knows that.

Quote:
Who do you think smokes the most? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up (since you wouldn't bother anyway) - it's the lower & middle classes.

But is it hypocrisy?

I'll take a 400B deficit over a - what's it up to now? 10T? - deficit any day.?
Know matter how hard you try to stretch it, it doesn't equate. Your only showing how far you will go to attempt to attack the president. You're also showing that you listen to right wing pundits as they are the only ones attempting to make a connection out of something that clearly doesn't connect.
Quote:
Taxes are taxes. And when the tax is selectively imposed on a particular group of people based on a specific behavior, you can absolutely make the argument that the group was targeted for the tax increase.

Do you think Obama & the Dems who wrote the law didn't have access to the data that establishes the middle & lower classes as the classes with the highest rate of smoking?

Can't wait until they come after your Internet connection. Because after all, if you don't want to pay the tax, you can quit using the Internet, right??
You said it all. Your world is black and white and you're unable to see the complexities in things. Only someone that has that sort of world view would attempt to make such an assinine argument.

I think you don't have access to any data and are simply regurgitating right wing pundit statements. I find it so hard to believe that you guys still believe that these pundits are there to provide factual broadcast. They ere pundits that are good at getting the weak minded all wound up so they will continue to tune into their shows.

There you go again with your doomsday scenarios that you were all for when it was Bush tapping the phones.

Quote:
The two largest tax increases in US history are part of the tobacco tax hikes in the SCHIP legislation. The tax went up on little cigars by 2,653%, and the tax on loose tobacco went up 2,159%. I make my own cigarettes, so the loose tobacco tax increase affects me directly. A bag that cost me less than $10 last week will cost me $35 today, and that $25 difference is Obama's SCHIP tax.

Are you getting it? The price has more than tripled, and it's all tax. Look me in the eye and, with a straight face, tell me that you honestly believe that's fair and reasonable.?
Can't look at you in the eye through the internet. I don't however hear you complaining about how the cost of living has skyrocketed over the last 30 years mostly due to the private sector keeping wages down and raising the price of everything. My health insurance quadrupled under Bush and I had to lower my coverage. Why do you only complain when its the government raising its revenues to pay its bills??

Quote:
Since we're on the subject of "no new taxes", let's talk a bit about Obama's carbon credit scam er I mean "program". If passed, you can expect to see your energy costs double or even triple. If and when that happens, I don't want to see you in here complaining about it - because you can always just stop using energy, right? I also don't want to see you blaming the energy producers for the price hikes - it won't be their fault.

No, if and when that happens, I want to see you in here cheerleading the stealth tax as the "change" you "hoped" for...?
You are to easily bought by the propoganda sold bythe lobbyist. Read for yourself.
03-26-Cap&Trade_Testimony.1.1.shtml

Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
No you didn't you think that your word has any validity, but it doesn't. Anyone that is not blind right wing as yourself can see that its nonpartisan, and that's who it's meant for.

Yet your always first in line to go after the left and defend the right?
Face it you're no where near unbiased and everyone here knows that.

Know matter how hard you try to stretch it, it doesn't equate. Your only showing how far you will go to attempt to attack the president. You're also showing that you listen to right wing pundits as they are the only ones attempting to make a connection out of something that clearly doesn't connect.

You said it all. Your world is black and white and you're unable to see the complexities in things. Only someone that has that sort of world view would attempt to make such an assinine argument.

I think you don't have access to any data and are simply regurgitating right wing pundit statements. I find it so hard to believe that you guys still believe that these pundits are there to provide factual broadcast. They ere pundits that are good at getting the weak minded all wound up so they will continue to tune into their shows.

There you go again with your doomsday scenarios that you were all for when it was Bush tapping the phones.

Can't look at you in the eye through the internet. I don't however hear you complaining about how the cost of living has skyrocketed over the last 30 years mostly due to the private sector keeping wages down and raising the price of everything. My health insurance quadrupled under Bush and I had to lower my coverage. Why do you only complain when its the government raising its revenues to pay its bills??

You are to easily bought by the propoganda sold bythe lobbyist. Read for yourself.
03-26-Cap&Trade_Testimony.1.1.shtml
So where is your vaunted solution? Or do you have one?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So where is your vaunted solution? Or do you have one?
I voted for Obama, and am pretty happy with him so far.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
This president will never have a change I can believe in.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
In 2000 and 2004 a lot of us were afraid 4 years of all republican all the time were going to get us killed by making the rest of the world want to go to war with us.

Perhaps its not going to be quite as bad as you think. Heck, maybe the rest of the world won't hate us after a few years, and maybe, just maybe another major city won't be left in ruin 3 years after being laid to waste by natural disaster.

We had to sit through republican fun time while being called unpatriotic so now its the conservatives turn.
The rest of the world will alway hate us because we can replace their respective governments with ones we like. Had Carter fully understood this we could have avoided five wars including the two in which we are now engaged saving millions upon millions of lives. They don't have to like us to respect us. By the way, if the rest of the world went to war with us, the rest of the world would have their respective clocks cleaned. They know that.

As far as those people who chose to live on the gulf coast in a city that was below sea level and ride out the storm they were told to flee, hey , get a clue. So what would you suggest we do rebuild this city in the same location so it can all happen again?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
You???Never, but many of us are seeing it already.
No. 239: Release presidential records

"Will nullify the Bush attempts to make the timely release of presidential records more difficult."

He can release GWB's records for poitical gain but can't seem to give Congress enough time to read his multi-trillion dollar spending proposals. What happened to posting bills on-line for public consumption prior to their signing?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh, & I didn't actually look at what taxes were taken out of my paycheck yesterday, but I did notice that I had $20. more...woohoo! And I'm not even being facetious, I actually totally appreciate $20. more per paycheck. For me, that equates to...a few more bottles of wine, a couple more twelvers, a few more packs of smokes, a couple more dinners out, more groceries, more money towards my credit card, cellphone, energy bill, etc. Don't sneeze about it people, you may find that you actually DO need it.

Our grandkids will be equally excited about paying that $20 back to the Chinese with interest. It's all a scam. Throw some people off welfare who are able to work, or bust some of these allegedly disabled social security recipients who work under the table and laugh in our faces because we don't pimp the system and then I'll get excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies