Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Others have touched on it, but I guess I'll repeat it. Bush has expanded the power of the federal government during his term. I thought this was against Republican ideals. It's certainly against mine.

Also, he's never taken a true stance on the illegal immigrant issue. I thought Republicans focused on making sure our nation was secure. Yet the way this issue has been handled has lead me to believe the opposite.

So my take is, Bush is only pretending to be a Republican. Either that, or the Republican party has taken a turn for the worse.

I voted for Dole in 1996. I voted for Bush in 2000. I didn't vote in 2004 because it looked like a lose/lose election, to me. I may very well vote Democrat in 2008. I'm not sure. It depends on the candidates. At this point, all I see is corruption. I see a bunch of rich men who don't care about the issues that matter to me. Why did Congress question MLB players, anyway? What the hell was that?

And for those that care, the issues that matter the most to me are:
1) Ending the War on Drugs (Republicans are supposed to minimize government intrusion, right?)
2) Illegal immigration (protect our borders and our citizens)
3) Our foreign policy (I don't think we can get away with our Teddy Roosevelt/Cold War strategy anymore. The media sees everything, these days.)
So you liked Dole? what about Bush41,Nixon and Ford? If I am not mistaken Nixon did his share of expanding the government and we know Ford thought Bush much too conservative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:02 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So you liked Dole? what about Bush41,Nixon and Ford? If I am not mistaken Nixon did his share of expanding the government and we know Ford thought Bush much too conservative!
Eh, I thought Dole was better than Clinton. To be honest, there hasn't been any candidate that's thoroughly impressed me, since I've been old enough to vote. I wonder what I would have thought about men like Eisenhower and McKinley, if I had been alive at the time (looking back, they look like they were great men). Nixon, Ford, and Bush Sr? I was a baby when Nixon and Ford were around, so while I might be able to read about the history, I didn't experience it. I was in high school when Bush Sr was president. I don't have strong feelings, either way. I do think that he handled Iraq a million times better than his son, though.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
That is the second paragraph

the greatest expansion of the Federal Government in history has happened in the past 7 years. Not a Republican idea at all.

Uh.........what party was in the majority and in the White House for most of those 7 years?
mmm,,, let me check the internet.................mmmm, Bush and the Republicans,, sure bugs the old Bull Moosers like me.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Eh, I thought Dole was better than Clinton. To be honest, there hasn't been any candidate that's thoroughly impressed me, since I've been old enough to vote. I wonder what I would have thought about men like Eisenhower and McKinley, if I had been alive at the time (looking back, they look like they were great men). Nixon, Ford, and Bush Sr? I was a baby when Nixon and Ford were around, so while I might be able to read about the history, I didn't experience it. I was in high school when Bush Sr was president. I don't have strong feelings, either way. I do think that he handled Iraq a million times better than his son, though.
My point was that everyone one of those guys were as much or more so for expanded government as W and I dont think any body questioned their republican credentials.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
My point was that everyone one of those guys were as much or more so for expanded government as W and I dont think any body questioned their republican credentials.

Then why is it that 'less government' seems so widely accepted as a basic plank in the Republican platform? Just another 'us vs. them' thing with little meaning?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:32 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Silas's point is inaccurate. He could do a little reading on why Bush does what Bush does, as opposed to what Daddy or Dole or Reagan etc did.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Then why is it that 'less government' seems so widely accepted as a basic plank in the Republican platform? Just another 'us vs. them' thing with little meaning?
Hey your never going to hear me defending republican spending, except for the defense which I believe is the only thing the government should be doing and the more and bigger the better! but I always get a kick out of Democrats critisizing republicans for spending! "Not calling you a democrat."

Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Silas's point is inaccurate. He could do a little reading on why Bush does what Bush does, as opposed to what Daddy or Dole or Reagan etc did.
Yea i should borrow some of those Micheal Moore and Al Franken books from ya!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Hey your never going to hear me defending republican spending, except for the defense which I believe is the only thing the government should be doing and the more and bigger the better! but I always get a kick out of Democrats critisizing republicans for spending! "Not calling you a democrat."

The more and bigger the better? Don't you realize that at some point that theory just becomes a high-priced welfare program for defense contractors?

I just heard some mention on one of the Sunday AM political shows about the F-22 Raptor program being behind schedule, over budget, and contractors are rewarded with bonuses. I think if we're gonna spend we deserve more of a return than empty promises.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Here's a quote from an analysis of government spending:

"All this must come as a shock to the overwhelming majority of Americans who believe that Democrats are spenders and Republicans want to cut government spending. The simple fact is that during the past 34 years, government spending has grown significantly faster when a Republican has sat in the White House."

And here is the paper:

http://www.libertyunbound.com/archive/2004_11/bradford-spending.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies