Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much of the country would have to benefit for me to make a small sacrifice
Screw my country, no one's touching my wallet 6 37.50%
20% 1 6.25%
40% 0 0%
60% 1 6.25%
80% 2 12.50%
I don't care, if I know it will benefit a few people I can suck it up. 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. What would it take for people to take a little loss for the betterment of the country? Some people give up their lives in the hope that they benefit their countrymen and I think they are an example for all of us.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this myself, but it seemed like a good idea for a thread and a poll. Especially as we seem to become more polarized.

So here's the hypothetical situation (sorry for the ambiguity but I want to try to avoid politicizing it)

Lets say on the ballot there was a measure able to benefit the population of the country as a whole, but you have to pay an extra .5% tax. This just means you can't go out to eat as much, but you know a large portion of the country will benefit. How many would have to benefit for you to vote for it?

Then ask yourself, "If we can allow our troops to go overseas and die to protect us, why can't I sacrifice more?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:33 AM

157 posts, read 180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I'm just curious. What would it take for people to take a little loss for the betterment of the country? Some people give up their lives in the hope that they benefit their countrymen and I think they are an example for all of us.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this myself, but it seemed like a good idea for a thread and a poll. Especially as we seem to become more polarized.

So here's the hypothetical situation (sorry for the ambiguity but I want to try to avoid politicizing it)

Lets say on the ballot there was a measure able to benefit the population of the country as a whole, but you have to pay an extra .5% tax. This just means you can't go out to eat as much, but you know a large portion of the country will benefit. How many would have to benefit for you to vote for it?

Then ask yourself, "If we can allow our troops to go overseas and die to protect us, why can't I sacrifice more?"
What is the benefit the country will get for this new tax?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
What is the benefit the country will get for this new tax?
Its a hypothetical. You KNOW deep down that a portion of the country will benefit and all you have to make is a little financial sacrifice.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:

Answer one better first, if I can CHOOSE to pay the extra .5%, and it was important to me, then why would I not already have made the choice to give?

I dont need to VOTE to give money, I have a checkbook and can and will write one out for the causes I believe in.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:

I very much appreciate your attempts to draw this issue out in the open. My feeling on this subject is that I have always made this sacrafice to my country, sometimes by going along with a plan that was to the detriment of the many. Personal accountability--- even though I did not ever vote for Bush, I sat down in the back of the bus with my mouth shut obediently. I was very wrong to do that, and I apologize for my lax citizenship duties.

That said if I were to reframe your question, I'd want the caveat added that the plan itself is sound and that it in no way undermines individual rights protected by the constitution. It's NOT just a piece of paper, and any argument that presumes that loses immediately in my book.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM

157 posts, read 180,518 times
Quote:
Its a hypothetical. You KNOW deep down that a portion of the country will benefit and all you have to make is a little financial sacrifice.
I'd give up 100% if I thought it would help. But, it would never be enough for some people. What's mine is theirs and what's theirs is theirs. I'm quite serious, that's the way I see a large % of Americans.

I'd start over with zero in a place where everyone takes responsibility for their own lives and their decisions.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:

no, lower the taxes I say, get rid of some welfare program to pay for it. the goverment is already taking too much of my money and not using it wisely.

the goverment can go stuff it.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:

I have no problems making some sacrifices for the betterment of the US, but I don't trust our politicians to use my tax dollars wisely as they don't really serve the everyday citizen.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:

Sacrificing for the TROOPS is very different than sacrificing for those who 1) overspend until they are so in debt they can't get out 2) live on welfare 3) have no interest in a job or 4) are illegals.

You would want us to sacrifice for any warm body in the country

Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM

492 posts, read 961,998 times
Not if it goes to Maxine Waters constituents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies