Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Kill ratio of machine guns.
'Assault weapons'(such as those banned by Clinton) weren't machine guns..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Hahaha, nice try slick.

You know good and well I was responding to your appropriation of "my logic" to parents of drug-dealers, drunk drivers, etc. I never said anything about Poplawski breaking the law. Go back over the last few pages so you can catch up. I'll wait for you.
No need to make personal attacks,that is against the rules here.

So this guys mother did what exactly to be responsible for his actions?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Oz you're just talking to argue semantics at this point so I don't think I'll bother anymore.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 PM

No...'assault weapons' are semi-automatic,in other words,one pull of the trigger fires one round.

Same as a revolver.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Where I see the right being in denial is the belief that everyone has the capacity (judgement, ability) to defend themselves with a fire arm. Just because we have the right to bear arms doesn't mean 100% of the population is capable of living up to that responsibility. I believe developing those skills is very important, and I do exercise my 2nd amendment right. I'm certain that my grandmother is incapable of doing so for herself, but that doesn't make her careless with her life for failing to learn. She's half blind and 3/4's of the way deaf.

The right wing doesn't have any answer for the mentally ill beyond put them on ignore policy. They want responsibility directly in the hands of citizens, but that doesn't work out so well in urban areas. I'm almost wondering if mass casualty type assault weapons shouldn't just have a coat check setup at the door of a city type of deal instead of an all out ban. I don't have perfect answers, but I know changing the constitution is not healthy for anyone.

I can agree with that, but note that it's not just in the urban areas where irresponsibility can run rampant.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No need to make personal attacks,that is against the rules here.

So this guys mother did what exactly to be responsible for his actions?
Who's making personal attacks? You're being disingenuous and you know it. I'm not gonna go over what I already expounded at length.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I can agree with that, but note that it's not just in the urban areas where irresponsibility can run rampant.
irresponsibility has severe penalty by law uniformly. You're not talking about irresponsible, you're trying to focus on criminals and mentally ill. Bans that are over reaching only wind up hurting the wrong people. I can't agree with that approach. Focus on the individuals is how the law works best.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That could have been exacerbated by listening to some wackos on the radio.
maybe he was just listening to Biden, you know one of the biggest supporters of the Brady bill.

With Biden, Obama Doubles Down On Gun Control (http://www.goapvf.org/biden.htm - broken link)

and, oh yeah, by the way, the ban would have only taken away at most the ak-47 wanna-be.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
In all seriousness, situations like this are why so many of us were concerned over the Palin rallies last year.

When people are predisposed to distrusting government, it is so easy to work them into a frenzy and make them think Obama's coming after them.

Any rational person would have listened to Obama and know that he has no intention of banning gun rights whatsoever. But people only listen to the spin with which they agree.
really??? As a Senator in Ill, he supported every gun ban that came through. Suddenly, he's changed his stance?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Purposely misreading or do you have a comprehension problem.
We're talking about one guy here.
But you go right ahead, you're the kind of person who puts bs into people's heads hoping that they'll do just what he did.

but it's the one incident the left wingers will use to try and bring back the brady bill.
Nevermind that car accidents kill more people every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies