Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, having a handgun in one's possession does make it a tad easier to shoot somebody!
Yes, indeed, and driving a 1968 Lincoln Continental makes it a tad easier to mow over 36 people with little damage to the car. So, say everyone gets disarmed. All those 'evil" guns get taken away. Well, then some wacko buys a lighter at the corner gas station and lets it rip after he puts his debit card in the pump. Then what? Ban lighters? "Regulate" who can pump gas? Where does it stop? The nut cases will aways find a way. Axing gun rights will acomplish nothing. Being afraid of guns and everyone who owns them accomplishes nothing. Think about that. What is it that people are so afraid of whn it comes to firearms? Someone shooting someone else? Well it happens to be sure, but plenty of horrible murders happen without guns, and the majority of we firearms owners out here are NOT a threat to anyone but the bad guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Go fetch. You read nothing more than what you conditioned your own mind to read. The language coming from the right in CD IS getting intense and it IS parroting talking points from media manipulated by propaganda machines.
You said:
That's nonsense. Moore and Franken are not encouraging liberals to use violence to resolve problems. They're encouraging them to use the process prescribed by our constitution.
in response to me comparing the jabberings of moore and franken to limbaugh and hannity. Violence you said, not I. I am not in the habit of reading what is not there. I was not talking about C-D posters and neither were you. If you want to talk about them -- fine.

Correct, and they're both wrong when they resort to selective truth telling. Last I heard that's considered a white lie, and/or yellow journalism (but hey, none of these characters wants to live up to journalist standards, do they??). How about nobody is allowed to fall back on half truths so the rest of us don't have to listen to the screaming, whining and carrying on anymore??
Uh huh.

Both sides have equal time criticism from me because I'm squarely in the middle of them both. I'm centrist. Right has fouled their own founding party values, has been a louder brand of ignorance, and rachetted up the hostility level so it may appear I've taken a side when in fact I haven't. Decorum & personal responsibility has been my beef. The rest is all in your head.
Ah, nice 'decorum' there -- this is the second time in one post you accuse me of at best scattered thought and at worst idiocy.
But nice to know you are the last bastion of decorum and personal responsibility
Take a good look around at these right leaning folks using language that means to annihilate any political party they disagree with as 'the american way'. Go ahead and find the adjective. Liberals aren't crazy camping. The constitution needs protection AS A WHOLE, and the right is exploiting it's base to fight for 2nd amendment by abusing the 1st amendment. Liberals and 'gun nuts' should be fighting for the whole constitution, not bits and parts. I refuse to choose between defending 1st & 2nd amendments on a ballot. REFUSE.
Did I say liberals are crazy?
Intellectual dishonesty has been the problem, and it won't get solved, and compromises toward the better plans won't happen, when any party is committed to disinformation. I'm not allowed to have a slogan below my posts according to TOS, but it is in my profile. I'm serious as a heart attack about it. Enough with the back biting nonsense from all sides. If you can't own your chit then get off the porch. We're supposed to be adults.
Yes, indeed we are. Supposed to be adults, I mean.
And to be an adult, especially one engaging in a political debate site such as this one must be ready to talk about various things -- yes, talk not snipe off a oneliner and consider that enlightening to the poor sap who doesn't agree with you. Nor is it 'adult' to allude to your opponents mental capacity because they disagree with you.

As to this debate......gun laws are an unfortunate yet necessary part of modern life. We are not the 'greatest generation' and sadly we as a society cannot abide by the unwritten rules earlier generations were able to live by. Like honor and responsibility.
But to blame talk radio is stupid. And I fear it is a way to backdoor the 'fairness doctrine'. I don't particularly care overly much about gun laws, but I do care about censorship and the idea of the government being able to limit political discourse.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
And his "problem" in unique to firearms? Does Pricsilla Ford ring any bells? Dahmer, Bundy ,Manson and soooo many others commited horrible acts without firearms. Hoplophobes just love to attach some kind of special power to a firearm, as if , by it's mere presence, it will cause people to go all weird and start spraying out rounds. There is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING that will stop certain people from commiting acts of violence. The absence of firearms will accomplish nothing. Nothing except to make We Hate Guns Inc. and hoplophobes feel all warm and fuzzy. There have also been a few instances of cops and soldiers going buggy with their duty and issue weapons so I guess they ALL need to be disarmed as well?
So if there is absolutely nothing that will stop people from committing violence, then there is absolutely nothing that will stop people from doing so with a gun.

Every weapon has the potential to be actuated by human intent, and to the hoplophobe the weapon is indistinguishable from this intent. Indeed,
weapons are meaningless without people to operate them. But then a violent intent is equally meaningless without a weapon efficient enough to carry it out to its fullest potential either.

Violence can be committed via many different means, yes, but a gun (esp an automatic) has the unique quality of being both accessible and efficient (certainly more efficient than a vehicle, as you can wreak havoc with a gun both indoors and out, and in places cars can't get to). In skilled enough hands and with the impetus of enough violent intent on the part of the operator, the gun can inflict maximum violence in a minimum amount of time in a minimum amount of space (e.g., Virginia Tech).

Quote:
Things being as they are I will keep my personal arms, and continue training my son in the use of said arms as well. We use firearms on an almost daily basis, for many different purposes. Out here we flat need them. Thats just the way it is. Funny how it is that the guns do what we tell them to, and they don't whisper subliminal suggestions to us to misuse them. Another poster chided me earlier about this being about ONE individual. Yep, sure is. The acts of one wacko is not a reason to advocate the disarming of all of us. Any more than Priscilla Fords rampage was a reason to ban people from driving on Thanksgiving. Although both scenerios make about the same amount of sense
Tell that to the guy in Washington who just wiped out all his children and himself in one fell swoop. The "messages" certainly came from him (following a domestic dispute with his wife), but the gun was the only means by which he could carry out those messages. The messages would have meant nothing were it not for the very existence of his weapon. And you can't possibly compare rampages done by people in vehicles to the sheer number of violent gun crimes in the US. That makes no sense at all.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes, indeed, and driving a 1968 Lincoln Continental makes it a tad easier to mow over 36 people with little damage to the car. So, say everyone gets disarmed. All those 'evil" guns get taken away. Well, then some wacko buys a lighter at the corner gas station and lets it rip after he puts his debit card in the pump. Then what? Ban lighters? "Regulate" who can pump gas? Where does it stop? The nut cases will aways find a way. Axing gun rights will acomplish nothing. Being afraid of guns and everyone who owns them accomplishes nothing. Think about that. What is it that people are so afraid of when it comes to firearms? Someone shooting someone else? Well it happens to be sure, but plenty of horrible murders happen without guns, and the majority of we firearms owners out here are NOT a threat to anyone but the bad guys.
When lighters actually start to claim as many lives as guns, then, yes, we'll have an issue with lighters.

Anybody with a gun is a threat, and indeed much more of a threat than anybody without one. Like I said before, even the usually "law abiding" family guy down the block isn't impervious to putting an end to his life's miseries with a gun.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
When lighters actually start to claim as many lives as guns, then, yes, we'll have an issue with lighters.

Anybody with a gun is a threat, and indeed much more of a threat than anybody without one. Like I said before, even the usually "law abiding" family guy down the block isn't impervious to putting an end to his life's miseries with a gun.
wow so much for innocent until proven guilty. So just so I get it. How am I a threat to anyone simply because I like to target shoot and own a very expensive 1911?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
wow so much for innocent until proven guilty. So just so I get it. How am I a threat to anyone simply because I like to target shoot and own a very expensive 1911?

Excuse me, potential threat.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Excuse me, potential threat.
Well by this logic that would apply to every soul on earth. Oh he owns a baseball bat. He must be a potential threat.
That guy owns a hedge clipper. Oh he must be a potential threat. Yep makes perfect sense.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Quote:
Well by this logic that would apply to every soul on earth. Oh he owns a baseball bat. He must be a potential threat.
That guy owns a hedge clipper. Oh he must be a potential threat. Yep makes perfect sense.
Meet MrSykes, a "real" threat to the Constitution.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Of course, everyone is a potential threat to their fellow man. But gun owners tend to be more so. Consider a fella I got into it with a while back while I was on duty delivering luggage to his home from an airline he flew on recently. He was angry that his luggage was 30 min late (even though my dispatchers called him ahead of time to let him know), so he started to curse me.

I told him forcefully to calm down, and next thing you know he threatens to shoot me with his rifle. I call the cops and the situation was appropriately defused. But just imagine what would have happened to me had this otherwise "law abiding" gun owner actually had his way and let his emotions get the best of him with rifle in hand.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Meet MrSykes, a "real" threat to the Constitution.
Nah, just irresponsible gun regs and gun owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies