Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
At least he's admitting his heinous sins and trying to repent. Apparently in the article, many African Americans have forgiven him for all of the hate he has spewed in the past. I have little doubt it is because of his advancing years and failing health, which have given him time to reflect. But, at least his reflection has afforded him the ability to see the horrendously bad things he did in his life.
The ability to genuinely repent and reconsider actions is a great thing, no matter what the reasons are. Most people are incapable of that, since the human psyche has very powerful defenses against it.

Last edited by oberon_1; 04-05-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times
We all make mistakes and some people make terrible mistakes. If his apology is sincere it should be accepted. I know I would want forgivness too if i was in his position.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
At least he's admitting his heinous sins and trying to repent. Apparently in the article, many African Americans have forgiven him for all of the hate he has spewed in the past. I have little doubt it is because of his advancing years and failing health, which have given him time to reflect. But, at least his reflection has afforded him the ability to see the horrendously bad things he did in his life.
But he's doing it for the wrong reason.... "And I found out there is no way I could be saved and get to heaven and still not like blacks."

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I thouhgt my post was pretty clear. It means that the posters here on CD who have the same issues as the person referenced in the link will someday come to the same realization that he did.

By looking at some of the post that appear here on CD, I have no doubt that there are former or present KKK supporters/members in this forum.
I honestly don't see any of that. Why don't you give me some examples so I can PM them and ask if they support KKK or not.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,080 times
\

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But he's doing it for the wrong reason.... "And I found out there is no way I could be saved and get to heaven and still not like blacks."
I guess that depends on what you believe in.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
\

I guess that depends on what you believe in.
Or...what he believes, maybe?

He doesnt talk about any epiphany other than his own impending day of reckoning that made him assess the damage he caused in a lifetime of evidently gleeful cruelty. If he believes he's saved by works, maybe going around distributing hugs will get him in. >shrug<

Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Forgiveness is one thing, but it seems very cheap if one can live long enough to do all of the sins to his heart's content and then apologize right around the end of his life. I don't mind forgiving him, but I would take this with a grain of salt, seeing how much atrocities he was allowed to get away with throughout his life and how all of a sudden on his deathbed - staring judgment in the face - he would suddenly beg for forgiveness.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,636,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I honestly don't see any of that. Why don't you give me some examples so I can PM them and ask if they support KKK or not.
If they are, it's a realization they would have to come to on their own. How would you have an influence on them to change their minds about the KKK if they did support it?

The lack of responses in this thread is one telling sign. Check the other threads based on race for content and volume, i'm sure you'll find evidence there. I'm willing to bet that most of those threads are not created by black people, but they seem to draw in posters with KKK views.

Last edited by jlhct; 04-05-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Or...what he believes, maybe?

He doesnt talk about any epiphany other than his own impending day of reckoning that made him assess the damage he caused in a lifetime of evidently gleeful cruelty. If he believes he's saved by works, maybe going around distributing hugs will get him in. >shrug<
"Saved" is the keyword here. He mentioned nothing about "distributing hugs" to forge his way into heaven. In Christianity, there is only ONE unforgivable sin, and contrary to your presumption, it has nothing to do with being a racist or not.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"Saved" is the keyword here. He mentioned nothing about "distributing hugs" to forge his way into heaven. In Christianity, there is only ONE unforgivable sin, and contrary to the views of the anti-religious, it has nothing to do with being a racist or not.
Reeeeally? Thaaaaanks.....

Distributing hugs = "He has embraced black men his own age"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies