Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I'm not sure. What do you think?
I think it will be very hard for anyone to show up to proclaim that
1) We are not spending enough money
2) The deficits are not big enough
3) Support Obama for taking the very same actions Bush did to bailout rich bankers on the backbone of american taxpayers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Having difficulty using the English language?
Yep, you caught me. "" can sometimes mean a 1,000 words ... that I'd rather not take the time to type.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think it will be very hard for anyone to show up to proclaim that
1) We are not spending enough money
2) The deficits are not big enough
3) Support Obama for taking the very same actions Bush did to bailout rich bankers on the backbone of american taxpayers
I definitely agree and am with you on the first two, but would argue regarding the third that we elected Obama to be different than Bush in normal-time policy outside of what should happen regarding "saving the economy" in a severe economic crisis (health care reform, education reform, improved international affairs, general attitudinal overhaul, etc). I don't recall Obama running on a platform that said, "I will not attempt to stabalize the banking system with taxpayer money if deemed necessary."

But, with that being said, some could validate showing up to protest those who are vehemently anti-Obama - with reason being that they are pro-Obama and supportive of his administartion so far.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. What do you think?

I personally think any anti-tea party turnout will be very small as most tea parties will be fairly small in relative terms (thinking a few thousand people at the average ones - maybe a little more in the larger cities - and maybe a one or two of 10k+, perhaps in ATL as Hannity will be there to provide the "star power").

But it would be neat if the numbers were about equal between tea partiers and protesters who feel Obama is doing well so far. Of course, that would assume the ground movement from Obama's election cared enough to attend these tea parties and protest them. I'm just not sure that will happen, especially considering that most of these events will probably take place in red states/red areas.

Your thoughts?
Possible since most Tea Party goers have jobs that may require their presence. Obama supporters may have an advantage in the number of people who have traditional workdays free.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Yep, you caught me. "" can sometimes mean a 1,000 words ... that I'd rather not take the time to type.
That rolly eyes actually had a negative word count.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Weekend liberals were only loyal to the thought of electing the first black President, and nothing more. I believe there will be small factions of anti-tea party protesters, but nothing that is representative of the numbers that turned out to get him elected. He's in office now, why should they care?
“Weekend liberals” – Please explain. Over 50% of the population voted for Obama.
What does the tea party movement have to do with anything?
If people were serious this would have started years, or at least months (under Bush) ago.
This just shines a light on the fact that people don't like Obama, not in real policies.

You do know what tea-bagging means in the vernacular, don't you?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
“Weekend liberals” – Please explain. Over 50% of the population voted for Obama.
If people were serious this would have started years, or at least months (under Bush) ago.
This just shines a light on the fact that people don't like Obama, not in real policies.

More than 150,000,000 people voted for Obama??

Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Many of these people I know socially at these tea parties were huge critics of Bush and some are actually liberals on the social scene: pro-gay rights, pro-peace, etc

That being said, Bush's market intervention and spending pales in comparison to Obama's. That is where the outrage comes from.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
The tea parties are a protest of out-of-control spending by the government, not an "anti-Obama" protest. The citizens of this country are tired of the ruling class treating our hard-earned money as their private bank account, with no regard to the hardship it will bring upon the average American.

I seriously doubt the members of Congress will show up to protest the protests LOL

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
That rolly eyes actually had a negative word count.
We can play this game all day if that is what you want ... or we can actually have a dicsussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies