Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It is still a derivative of German - there is no such thing as an Austrian language.
You could use an Austrian to German Translator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Haha...that's funny. It says Austrian dialect to Standard German on the title and in the page's content.

Try again.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is awesome Einstein, but do you really think you've changed any of the moronic minds on this forum? Doubtful, verrrry doubtful. I admire your effort though.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Haha...that's funny. It says Austrian dialect to Standard German on the title and in the page's content.

Try again.
Why is there a need for translator? That page says "Austrian" several times. What if I said a term in Austrian... would that imply German? Probably in your little world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That is awesome Einstein, but do you really think you've changed any of the moronic minds on this forum? Doubtful, verrrry doubtful. I admire your effort though.
Thanks!

I tend to subscribe to "don't feed the trolls", but choose to ignore it when I have some free time on hand (and the conversation gets far enough).

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:

Try again.
From Merriam-Webster:

dialect - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"1 a: a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation from other regional varieties and constituting together with them a single language"

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
It is still a derivative of German - there is no such thing as an Austrian language.
This is wrong,sorry.Thats like saying Portuguese or Italian are derivatives of the Spanish language because when you break down all 3 there are extreme similiarities.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I've never heard that, and I know a ton of mexicans. seriously, who would say that? that is amost as retarded as referring to a jamacan as an african american.
"retarded" usually refers to people who have mental deficiencies. It's a condition defined by doctors who are, by their education, qualified to use that term. Otherwise it's just an insult and being insensitive to the conditions that afflict others.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
He needs to carry his friend every where he goes.
This is actually a stick to beat up absent minded conservatives.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Your great grandmother might have also referred to Austria as the Hapsburg Empire or the Austro-Hungarian empire, but that isn't applicable nowadays, is it?
Most of my family came from an area known as Galicia. Galicia encompassed parts of Austria,Poland,and modern day Ukraine.Considering the changing of borders because of wars over the years; an area like Poland whose people mostly speak Polish now might live in modern day Ukraine because their eastern border became part of another country. People in Ukraine mostly speak Russian.Now if you speak both languages alot of times a slang occurs. Now i've heard straight German over the years and when my family from Austria speaks it's a different dialect altogether but quite similiar.
So maybe Barack made a mistake or maybe his point of view is different.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM

749 posts, read 946,848 times
Quote:
what a dunce.

YouTube - Barack Obama thinks Austrian is a language

He's off the TOTUS and look what happens.
Just another show of his ignorance. He shows it each and every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies