Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 AM

479 posts, read 660,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
oh well.

while we're on this topic which are the lucky ones of us who will not lose both parents ever? can I place my kids at the top of that list?

thanks in advance.

So you're saying you want to live to watch your kids die? My dad buried my little brother two years ago, he hasn't been the same since. You may want to rethink your position, a parent should never bury their kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM

439 posts, read 616,859 times
May she rest in peace. Now please close or move this thread. This has nothing to do with politics.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,333 times
All who say close this thread, I recall there was a thread here where Medved's dad passed and it remained open so.....leave it.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
oh well.

while we're on this topic which are the lucky ones of us who will not lose both parents ever? can I place my kids at the top of that list?
Putting your life before your kids' isn't exactly noble, IMHO.

Quote:
thanks in advance.

Don't mention it. Your words speak volumes.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,860 times
My condolences to her family.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Don't agree with just about anything he says, but both he and his Mother should be given due respect in this trying time for them; may she rest in peace. I'm sure that he loved her very much.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That was a rather ungracious and inappropriate thing to say in a condolence thread.
What's a "condolence thread" about a family member of a TV personality doing in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum? Which of those two categories does a "condolence thread" qualify as?

You can't post something about Olbermann in this forum and not expect detractors to say something about it. I wonder how many of you were cheering when Tony Snow got cancer, Dick Cheney accidentally shot his friend, etc...

I don't wish the loss of a family member on anyone, regardless of how much I think they're a blathering idiot, but if you're going to post about that in this forum, you have no right to complain when someone takes advantage of the opportunity presented in order to bash the person they don't like.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What's a "condolence thread" about a family member of a TV personality doing in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum? Which of those two categories does a "condolence thread" qualify as?

You can't post something about Olbermann in this forum and not expect detractors to say something about it. I wonder how many of you were cheering when Tony Snow got cancer, Dick Cheney accidentally shot his friend, etc...

I don't wish the loss of a family member on anyone, regardless of how much I think they're a blathering idiot, but if you're going to post about that in this forum, you have no right to complain when someone takes advantage of the opportunity presented in order to bash the person they don't like.
Wow. I hardly know where to begin.

Re: Tony Snow - I, and nearly every one of my evil liberal friends, expressed our support for his fight against cancer. There were a couple who said nasty things about Mr. Snow, and they were quickly told that it was inappropriate behavior in that context.

Re: Dick Cheney shooting his friend - There was much humor in Mr. Cheney's poor handling of his weapon, and all that I heard regarding the injured man was that everyone hoped he'd be okay (and stay away from Cheney's gun).

Re: your last paragraph. Do you really think that it's appropriate to bash someone whenever their name comes up? Then I really feel sorry for you and the miserable life you must lead. A person who sees condolences as an opportunity to bash has quite a cruel streak. Do you also kick the crutches out from under the crippled?

Oh, and I am not the OP, so don't even try that.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
These threads are so stupid and lame...

"My condolences...."

"My condolences..."

"May she rest in peace"

"My condolences to the family..."

"My deepest condolences to the family"

"May peace be with the family in their time of mourning...."

Blah blah blah everyone just posting for the sake of posting, everyone saying the same thing with no meaning behind it. No one who actually cares will ever see this thread... the whole concept of a condolence thread is so fake and meaningless regardless of who it is for. Fleeting expressions of sorrow is a bunch of BS.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
These threads are so stupid and lame...
No one who actually cares will ever see this thread... the whole concept of a condolence thread is so fake and meaningless regardless of who it is for. Fleeting expressions of sorrow is a bunch of BS.
Have you ever heard of clipping services? People also employ search services. They need to know what is being said, and it will come up that many are expressing condolences (the appropriate way for someone you don't actually personally know) in public forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies