Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,991,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
It is WAYYYY to early to start critiquing Obama. We really won't realize the impact of his decisions today for a few months. Give it time. It's great that many foreign leaders seem to like him. Let's see how he plays that out first.

Absolutely.. right now I can praise what he is doing so far.. and I hope and am optimistic that what he puts in place will work..

But I am watching carefully and if he does as well down the line as I feel he is now and we've come a long way.. he'll have my vote again.. if not.. who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,640,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Can't say I am excited regarding spending and the stimulus, but I feel very proud to be an American based on how Obama is handling international relations. It's so exciting to watch ...
I'm beginning to feel not just disappointed, but truly embarrassed by the president's actions and words, things he said and did NOT say, things he did and did NOT do, abroad.

The campaign is over, Mr. President. It's time to set the tone for leadership, not appeasement and capitulation.

appease: to pacify , conciliate ; especially : to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles
capitulation: the act of surrendering or yielding b: the terms of surrender

Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,666,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Well I guess we can get rid of that other old piece of paper, the Declaration of Independence.

Is anyone else sick of left wingers equating pride in the U.S.A. with arrogance?
You come on these threads and take these short two-line attacks, accusing people of hating America or throwing out our entire political structure.

I think you have a good-intentioned simple heart, and I'm not sure you're equipped to handle the complexity of our global situation.

It requires both strength and humility to get the world investing in and believing in our country again. We don't live with borders anymore.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How do you propose that we end the threat of nuclear war?
Should we disarm? Because that is the only thing that we can do.
Do you believe that if we disarm, that North Korea is just going to say "Well that's wonderful, lets' follow suit"
Do you think Ahmedijad is going to give up trying to develop nukes? Do you think Pakistan is going to disarm?
Here are the whoppers: Do you think China or Russia will disarm?

The answer in a huge NO!
These countries will not only not disarm but they will start thinking of doing all those nasty things that the knowledge of a strong U.S. response prevented them from doing in the first place.

Bye Bye South Korea
Bye Bye Taiwan
Bye bye Israel
Etc., etc.

It's your kind of incredibe naivete' and one-world eutopianism that got this idiot elected in the first place.
There is nothing wrong with optimistically hoping and diplomatically working toward a world with no nuclear weapons.

What YOU fail to understand is it's not the WEAPONS that is the problem..

We have to remove the reasons to USE The weapons on each other.. THAT is what Obama is working to achieve. If we all get along.. if we all respect each other and each other's boundries, differences etc.. there will never be a need to USE a weapon. It's called DIPLOMACY!!!

It is extremely stupid to NOT try something just because you think it's impossible.. THAT is just insane.

Again.. the real threat is NOT the weapons themselves.. remove the reasons to USE the weapons and you disarm them without actually removing them

Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Didn't you hear? All that is happening right now under the Obama/Bush team

You were in a coma the past eight years...

Pity...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Excellent post.. and absolutely correct. It took them 8 years to bring us (the Repubs and right wing policy) to this point.. yet expect it to be fixed in 2 months time. Quite unreasonable if you ask me. They sound more and more like a bunch of three year olds throwing a temper tantrum.
But we still have the same congress that went along with all of "the last 8 years" y'all keep harping on so the odds of us getting anywhere are pretty slim.
As for what he accomplished, all you could point to was rhetoric. Nothing tangible was accomplished, that means none of his stated goals were met and there were only 2.
Get help for the war on terror.
Get the euros to sign on to the massive stimulus.
The reasons you give for them not happening are your own interpretations and hopes not actual facts given by the euro's right?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm beginning to feel not just disappointed, but truly embarrassed by the president's actions and words, things he said and did NOT say, things he did and did NOT do, abroad.

The campaign is over, Mr. President. It's time to set the tone for leadership, not appeasement and capitulation.

appease: to pacify , conciliate ; especially : to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles
capitulation: the act of surrendering or yielding b: the terms of surrender

Rather than just say that.. why don't you give us some real examples? Because unless you do.. it just sounds like party line rhetoric.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,047,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
For the first time in a long time....I'm so proud of our president. The president of the U.S. of A.

What he has accomplished in just a few short months working his tail off.

I just have to shout to the world how I feel.

His trip abroad has been soooo successful. The fences are being mended which is most necessary.
No man is an island and the planet is getting smaller and smaller.

God Bless Obama and his family and keep the safe!!!!

So what did he accomplish? other than a whopping 5k more non-combat troops from the UN?

They think he's a nice guy...but they don't like his spending, they don't want to hear commit many more troops, the only thing they like about him is that he's bowing down and saying that he doesn't want to tell them how to act.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But we still have the same congress that went along with all of "the last 8 years" y'all keep harping on so the odds of us getting anywhere are pretty slim.
As for what he accomplished, all you could point to was rehtoric. Nothing tangible was accomplished, that means none of his stated goals were met and there were only 2.
Get help for the war on terror.
Get the euros to sign on to the massive stimulus.
The reasons you give for them not happening are your own interpretations and hopes not actual facts given by the euro's right?

That's right .. we still have the same Congress..... however, we do have a congress where the Presidents party is in the majority.. which goes a long way to actually accomplishing something.

And.. I have news for the Republicans.. if they continue to block anything and everything this President tries to achieve over the next four years to turn this country around they will do nothing to help their party .. they will look like abunch of three year olds throwing a tantrum because they lost the POTUS election.

The President sets the tone.. and I believe he is working so very hard to reach across all party lines and get done what needs to be done. He has the American public behind him. .and that goes a long way.

Yup.. it's an uphill battle .. especially when you look at the attitudes (poor ones at that) of people on this board determined for Obama to fail! It amazes me!

I am watching more closely than ever how my representatives vote etc. and if I don't like what they are doing.. they loose my vote.

Right now it's up to the rest of the American public to behave int he same way.. whatever their beleifs are.. if you are unhappy with what your rep is doing.. fire him by NOT voting for him.

I do feel this country is finally headed in a good direction.. right now it's a battle.. but hopefully the tide will turn to make it smoother.. and time and diplomacy both here and abroad will go a long way to fixing that.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,081,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
. If we all get along.. if we all respect each other and each other's boundries, differences etc.. there will never be a need to USE a weapon.
When, in the known history of human beings, have all these 'ifs' ever occured?
"Speak softly but carry a big stick" is about the best one can expect when it comes to diplomacy combined with realism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies